Backcountry Back pack White tail Bow Hunt

They’re a lot less predictable than deer in my limited experience but there’s a bunch of them in the NF! A lot of hours in the woods and a little luck is what it takes without bait or dogs but there are few things I enjoy hunting more.

Wrench

WKR
I live in the heart of whitetail land and the heart of timber country.

I've killed a lot of whitetail and many via backpack, but honestly in the PNW the whitetail have a love for thinned timber and clear-cut reprods.

I'll see the bulk of them near farmed ground meeting timber, but if it's a true timber only deer....it's next to never exclusively in old growth or wilderness and 99% of the time it's lower elevation and near logging activity.

Still backpackable, but something you can access via vehicle too.

Wrench

WKR
Ps, I have been on a mission to kill a mature buck from the ground with my longbow and was 20 fps from closing the deal last year on a smoker of a buck, but he caught the release and saw the moisture in my string and feathers fly and turned inside out at sub 20.

A mature buck from the ground with a bow is something that you should be proud of, be it 120" or 150".

EastMont

FNG
With a few years of tough luck in the NM draw we have been looking at making the trek to Arkansas to do a hunt similar like this. Looked at options in NE and OK but their tags seem a little expensive. Found AR and for a couple hundred bucks they give you a pile of tags.

Ether this fall or in 2021 we are going to try a trip with burros into the western side of AR. About a 12 hour drive from ABQ. Looking at wilderness areas as well. Likely will be looking for bear as well. Does anyone know what bears would be focused on during the dear rifle season? Oak?

These pictures are so awesome!

Rokbar

WKR
Look into sections of Western NC off the Blue Ridge Parkway. A lot of times in late season, bad weather will shut it down. You can't hunt the Parkway, but can access local game lands that most want hike to. Rifle season closes early December and then goes to bow for buck only. Rut is usually good then as well. Bear opens back up after rifle season, but I believe NC is proud of their non-res bear tags.

bcpody

FNG
I live in north west Arkansas, and have hunted the area for white tail with a rifle periodically over the years (mostly on private land and also some on easily accessible areas of public land). But I have recently become obsessed with shooting my bow (literally a few hundred arrows a week for the last few months) and I can’t shake the desire of wanting to backpack deep into some public land and spend time in the wilderness far from other hunters.

The issue is I don’t know anyone that does it, and haven’t found any threads about this specifically. It seems like backpack hunting, spotting and stalking, and on The ground bow hunting works great with Mule deer, Black tail and elk out west in those deep swaths of public land. But what about white tail? It seems like the Whitetail I see are either on farm land, private land or on public land that borders private. Do you guys see Whitetail in the backcountry in this region? Can backpacking in for Whitetail be a successful venture? Any info helps and any insight from more experienced hunters is deeply appreciated!

Also want to add that I am in no way bashing guys that prefer to hunt in other ways or in other areas. This is just what I’m looking for.
Seems pretty awesome thought on the matter. I’ve done this a few times just to camp on my own land with some buddies. Just still hunt and you’ll be surprised the animals you see

Btaylor

WKR
Plenty of spots in AR to do a backpack hunt, just stay in the northern part of the state for early season for sure. South and southeast will be less pleasant during early bow season with the snakes and skeeters. Not that you cant have both of those in the north half of the state, they just dont seem to be as thick or consistent.

I think it would be fun to try a backpack trip in northern MN. Plenty of deer, only problem would be the bugs are thick in the deep woods in the fall archery season.

pk_

WKR
Backcountry hunting for whitetails east of the Mississippi is perhaps the final frontier of big game public land hunting.

It is the golden years right now. Nobody is doing it(very very few people anyways).

It can be done up and down the east coast, Deep South, north east, upper Midwest...

I have done it down here in the Everglades.

Still hunting is extremely effective for whitetails. But if you feel you have to get in a tree some of the new lightweight gear makes it possible to pack that stuff in.

Lots of options out there for wilderness style bow hunting for whitetails, even gun hunting you can get away from crowds...

*zap*

WKR
I have two areas that are close to me where I can primitive camp anywhere on the public area. One area is pretty big with the hiking trail thru is being 35 miles and part of that area allows bow hunting. The other area is smaller, trail thru is 5 miles and no hunting there but you can hunt right next door or set up a canoe camp and then easily hunt a few other spots on the lake....depending on how the wind is.

I went to the Richland Creek area last November. I hunted with my camp on my back for 2 days, camping wherever I ended up each day. I shot this decent 6 point on the second night. Weather was awful and visibility was poor. This was the first and only deer I’d seen. I packed it out through 2 miles of some of the most treacherous terrain I’ve ever dealt with. Then stashed my gear, and ran 6 miles down the road to get my car. I’ve done a few of these packpack whitetail hunts in the Midwest. Always with a gun. I did
2907dd12e55937ad628e45c3e30c07d3.jpg

get a spike buck in a Wilderness area in southern Illinois with a pistol, which has similar range to a compound bow. It’s hard enough to find stretches of Wilderness without roads and ATV’s let alone find them that have good deer habitat. In my experience the deep hardwoods of the Midwest don’t hold as many deer as the stuff that borders agricultural (and roads). Personally, I do it for the adventure first and the hunting second. If you go expecting to see a bunch of deer that are avoiding people, you’ll likely be disappointed. In my experience the Midwest Wilderness is no easier to navigate than the west. It’s easier to get lost, has denser foliage, is often steeper, and colder due to the time of year than most western hunts I’ve been on.
175e65b58fe2a76a5ff051d11df919ac.jpg

fefe7f94787f08fd20cd392be3fc5590.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what rifle is that, I like it

Backcountry hunting for whitetails east of the Mississippi is perhaps the final frontier of big game public land hunting.

It is the golden years right now. Nobody is doing it(very very few people anyways).

It can be done up and down the east coast, Deep South, north east, upper Midwest...

I have done it down here in the Everglades.

Still hunting is extremely effective for whitetails. But if you feel you have to get in a tree some of the new lightweight gear makes it possible to pack that stuff in.

Lots of options out there for wilderness style bow hunting for whitetails, even gun hunting you can get away from crowds...

dude teach me your ways..... I went on vacation in southern Florida this past year and all I did the whole time was look at OnX on the Everglades, what a jungle adventure I was thinking about coming down there to do an Everglades bow hunt.

pk_

WKR
dude teach me your ways..... I went on vacation in southern Florida this past year and all I did the whole time was look at OnX on the Everglades, what a jungle adventure I was thinking about coming down there to do an Everglades bow hunt.
Lol. If you are serious shoot me a PM anytime. I definitely do not proclaim to be a true ‘gladesman’, but I have lived and hunted down here my whole life. But archery season in the glades is no joke, I have never backpacked that time of year you are looking at daytime temps 110°+ with the heat index, plus everything is underwater that time of year.

Lol. If you are serious shoot me a PM anytime. I definitely do not proclaim to be a true ‘gladesman’, but I have lived and hunted down here my whole life. But archery season in the glades is no joke, I have never backpacked that time of year you are looking at daytime temps 110°+ with the heat index, plus everything is underwater that time of year.

that’s what I’m saying man, when I was down there I was thinking these dudes that do this gotta be hardcore, I’ll hit ya up

Reactions: pk_
I live in north west Arkansas, and have hunted the area for white tail with a rifle periodically over the years (mostly on private land and also some on easily accessible areas of public land). But I have recently become obsessed with shooting my bow (literally a few hundred arrows a week for the last few months) and I can’t shake the desire of wanting to backpack deep into some public land and spend time in the wilderness far from other hunters.

The issue is I don’t know anyone that does it, and haven’t found any threads about this specifically. It seems like backpack hunting, spotting and stalking, and on The ground bow hunting works great with Mule deer, Black tail and elk out west in those deep swaths of public land. But what about white tail? It seems like the Whitetail I see are either on farm land, private land or on public land that borders private. Do you guys see Whitetail in the backcountry in this region? Can backpacking in for Whitetail be a successful venture? Any info helps and any insight from more experienced hunters is deeply appreciated!

Also want to add that I am in no way bashing guys that prefer to hunt in other ways or in other areas. This is just what I’m looking for.

In 2018 I backpacked into land in North Central Arkansas for a rut hunt. I was successful and bagged a very very old 9 point that scored 118". I did a euro mount and the taxidermist said that the deer was one of the oldest deer he's ever worked with. So there's some food for thought. I bagged him on the second day.

What I learned on my solo DIY hunt.
1. I wasn't prepared.
2. My pack sucked for a overnight backpack hunt. I have a post in "long range whitetail pack" in the whitetail section. I packed in 4 miles and hunted about 500 yards the first day and packed 4 miles early the next morning to get setup. I was toast.
3. OnX maps is amazing. Download more than enough maps, and bring a paper map.
4. A layout plan for your pack and what you need.
5. Be prepared to quarter up and pack out a deer. This was the first time I've done it and now I prefer it.
6. Expect it to rain. It rained the day I took my buck. I was semi wet on the hunt. My shelter and sleeping bag was dry. If I wouldn't of tagged out on the second day the 3rd day would of gave me a whole new set of issues with a wet pack and hunting clothes. I used army wet weather gear, which worked somewhat.
7. Pack the best lightweight food you can get. I brought a few MRE's and a few canned foods. I actually cached some canned foods up in the mountains, therefore they should still good for this year.
8. Get a jetboil.
9. Have a plan for water. I used a life straw, but its not enough.
10. You need trekking poles. It's not a need its a absolutely must have.
11. Practice setting up your camp. This will give you an idea of what you need or don't need.
12. You need a big pack and a small pack. A big pack to get everything in and a little one to take your stand to your spot. I used a tree saddle and sticks. I'm looking at the Kifaru and exo packs that I can swap out big backs for little ones.
13. Solar charger for your phone.
14. Be physically ready, it isn't going to be easy.
15. Be mentally ready for isolation.
16. Bright flashlights

I want to add that the mental part is a big part of it. I was constantly telling myself this is getting dangerous, what if this happens, maybe you shouldn't go that far away, just hunt closer to the truck, this isn't worth it, you can't keep packing around these mountains in the dark, what if you slip down a bluff, what if you step on a snake, what if you step in a hole and break your leg, what if all your flashlights stop working, and etc. I was doing constant mental check ins and coming back to the reality that I'm okay.

I'm planning on a hunt this year in Arkansas and hopefully one in WV.

The take away of the adventure is I was able to achieve a heightened sense of awareness that I haven't been able to experience since I cam home from Iraq. Every step, you have to ensure your safety and avoid complacency. You could be dying in a matter of seconds if you decide to get careless with a knife or hurry through down the mountain. It's you, God, the mountain, and the beasts of the earth. The success of this trip wasn't measured by antlers and tape, it was measured by effort and grit. Once I left the mountain and returned from the trip I had a awesome sense of achievement. I felt alive. I earned my buck and conquered the mountain.

I do this in VA every year with success. It’s stressful on the first trip but it gets easier. Don’t overpack is my main suggestion. Minimize everywhere you can as the weight of a whitetail on the way out gets rough sometimes. I do suggest a millennium tree seat as it’s comfortable for all day sets and a great seat around the fire at nights. I also sacrifice some weight for a small gambrel and pulley system because who likes to try to cape skin one on the ground? And I can’t stand not being able to get a mature whitetail pulled up by myself without having blood head to toe3F135BE1-8992-4EF2-8EBE-0CBA27E6B555.jpeg04614F91-CB28-40EA-98F6-C46318529C68.jpeg506B6DED-F197-4938-9FFA-9A901CAECBF9.jpeg

phorizt

FNG
If I dont draw any hunts in TX this year I’m going to try something like this in OK or AR.

I do this in VA every year with success. It’s stressful on the first trip but it gets easier. Don’t overpack is my main suggestion. Minimize everywhere you can as the weight of a whitetail on the way out gets rough sometimes. I do suggest a millennium tree seat as it’s comfortable for all day sets and a great seat around the fire at nights. I also sacrifice some weight for a small gambrel and pulley system because who likes to try to cape skin one on the ground? And I can’t stand not being able to get a mature whitetail pulled up by myself without having blood head to toeView attachment 190953View attachment 190957View attachment 190958

AWESOME buck!