Backcountry backpack predator protection carry holster options

nursul

FNG
I've read through a bunch of posts where folks either carry a revolver of some type, or a semi auto. I get both arguments and I believe it comes down to personal preference. I do wonder why the Glock 10mm is so popular with backcountry guys given the cost of ammonia and such. Personally, I've always been on the side of spray as the most logical deterrent, but this year I'll be solo and the wife and kids want me to have reliable backup. I'm not really excited to carry more weight, but to appease the Family I'm going to pick up a Glock 21. I love the revolver look, but they are expensive and I think the opportunity to squeeze off more rounds is better for me. The dilemma I'm in is how to carry the darn thing. I use a kifaru backpack and an Alaskan guide bino harness. Neither seem conducive to attachments for a handgun. Carrying it in the pack defeats the purpose of it being readily available...heck if that's the best option I'll leave it home. Any thoughts on how to carry this thing given my set up? I've just started looking into drop leg holsters, but I wonder how this will hold up after miles of hiking. Do the articulate well with body movements and will they stay snug and in place. The one brand that pops is Safariland. Anyone have experience with drop leg holsters and backcountry excursions? Any ideas / suggestions and or recommendations are appreciated.

nwbow87

FNG
I used to carry a .40, but then I started hunting in griz/wolf country. Now I use the Garrett Cartridge pills in .44 Mag. I'd say buy appropriately for the threat. There are some nice lightweight revolvers out there too. Cost may be an issue, but getting back to your family is what counts. As far as a holster, I suppose it depends on what your final choice is. If seen rigs that attach to pack belts. My Eberlestock bino case has a nice pocket to carry mine, keeping it out of the bushes and easy to get to.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dameon

WKR
I use a Blackhawk Serpa holster for my 1911 with the Molle adapter on my pack belt. 8+1 rounds of 45 Super works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
the blackhawk serpa and the molle adapter is great. i spent a fair but of time looking at different options and thats what i ended up with

The best way to carry in the backcountry is with a kenai chest holster from Gunfighters Inc

OP
nursul

nursul

FNG
Zeroforhire...thanks for the info. I took a quick look at the harness and it looks sweet. Question for you...do you wear a bino harness? Like I mentioned I use the Alaskan Guide harness and I'm wondering if I could wear this over the top the Kanai system. I imagine it would get bulky, but i like the idea vs. the leg.

hflier

WKR
Zeroforhire...thanks for the info. I took a quick look at the harness and it looks sweet. Question for you...do you wear a bino harness? Like I mentioned I use the Alaskan Guide harness and I'm wondering if I could wear this over the top the Kanai system. I imagine it would get bulky, but i like the idea vs. the leg.

I do exactly this and it works great.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
The JC Custom Kydex holster I use can be taken on and off the kifaru belt quickly and put on your regular pants belt. It's comfortable and doesn't bind on me. I was torn on choices like you at first but this is the best option I've found.

Hall256

WKR
Kifaru has a new product called the Tombstone, that goes on their duplex waist belt (well it can go on any belt with PALS webbing) and it holds my SP101 revolver great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Randle

WKR
Hall . I have been looking at the tombstone, can you "Ripzip" it open or do you have to use the zippers pulls?
Thanks

Randle

WKR
Ok great thanks for the info. I may just give it a go. Full size M and p 45 full size or 4 " revolver is what I would use it for.

Hall256

WKR
Randle, as Brian mentioned, it does not have a ripzip function. I use to use their old Kola-lite chest harness, and i did like that feature, but they did not carry it over to the Tombstone. Also, for size comparisons, my SP101 has the 3in barrel.

Randle

WKR
I guess I may hold off abit. Did the have a release date?
Oh oh sorry OP starting to hijack.........

wyodan

WKR
I carry both in the backcountry all the time. Bear spray on my left, and a pistol on my right.

robtattoo

WKR
I carry my G29 in a Safariland with a 2" drop plate. It carries much lower than you'd want for CC but it puts it below my pack belt. The drop plate also has a few degrees of offset making the pistol easily accessible over several bulky layers + my pack.
I'm not a fan of carrying on my pack. I figure that 99% of the time I have my pack on, my rifle's in my hands any way. I'm more concerned about what would happen in the event of something coming in while I'm field dressing/butchering & my rifle's leant against a tree.

I carry both in the backcountry all the time. Bear spray on my left, and a pistol on my right.

This is what I do but opposite spray on the right and pistol on my left set up for cross draw. I can reach both with my right hand. I use the Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster. Positive retainment mechanism in there prevents the pistol from ever falling out and is very easy and natural to draw without getting held up too. Also fully covers the trigger so no chance it can go off unless I pull the trigger which allows me to safely carry it loaded. Pistol is more for Lions and Wolves than anything and having in the tent at night since spray isn't going to do much good unless you are outside the tent. I sprayed a can of spray last spring and plan to do so again this spring just to practice. You will be very disappointed when you realize just how close that threat will have to be before you even have a chance of deterring them. Not to mention wind. And it doesn't take much breeze to really get you.

Yep. Wear it over top. Works great.

Never, ever, never, ever use a drop leg holster while backpacking or bow hunting. It will fatigue you with the moment arm it exerts. Unless you are kicking in doors and jumping out of airplanes, leave it for those dudes.

Here is a you tube video on the subject by Yankee Marshall. If you go to his channel he also has a video on which is the "best handgun" for bears.
10mm vs. .44mag (Are You Kidding Me With This?) - YouTube

Use a "wheel gun" .44 mag with short muzzle so it can be drawn quickly for grizzly threats. Diamond D leather out of Alaska makes the best chest harness. They sell them now at cabelas. There are "many copies of this in synthetic version" noted in some the responses. Chest harness is the best because they otherwise weigh you down like an anchor. Anything lightweight such as a titanium or magnesium frame is a dream to carry but a nightmare to shoot and you probably wont hit anything with it. After the first shot you'll never want to pull the trigger, will flinch and will wind up selling it! You certainly wont practice with it. Ruger red hawk alaskan has less kick in 44 mag than my glock 19 in critical defense loads - because of the pistol configuration and weight. To those that say otherwise - ask them if they have shot them both and then get back to you.

I personally have a holster on the side of my Kifaru backpack. It can be easily done. I also carry bear spray on my chest or backpack depending on the hunt.

After hunting in Grizzly country for several seasons I use BOTH spray and a hand gun for any predators.

Non grizzly units, bear spray and any favorite pistol with a critical defense load is probably sufficient for cat, coyote, and black bear. Bullet technology and powders have come a long way and is more important than absolute caliber used to be. In the words of Jack Palance refering to Billy Crystal . . . 10mm, meh . . . I've shit bigger!

I have commented alot but the last parting thought I'd leave you with some last thoughts on spray and gun:

- no matter what you choose if you have a chest rig it is always on you. If you put it on the backpack waist belt if you take off your back pack you don't have it with you - like when you take a dump and I take a lot of dumps LOL. I never leave my pack except when I get to camp at night, then I take it off the pack and it comes with me into the tent.

I have talked to some military members and law enforcement that have been in many interesting theaters about spray and dogs and you'll get interesting stories . . ..

It is wise to buy a practice can and/or use older spray bottles for practice to actually see and practice with the stuff. It will open your understanding on how to employ it and what is possible with it.

I personally think whatever you choose you need to practice and be comfortable with it.

Good luck.

nwbow87

FNG
I have the scandium Frame s&w 329pd. Love it! Shoot the Garrett cartridge hard cast pills through it. The 500 s&w grip fits it.....feels like a .40. I stake my life on it and absolutely recommend it.....holster....haven't used anything other than my eberlestock nosegunner as of yet. A nice waist holster on the pack belt would be solid.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WKR
I have a cheap utg MOLLE universal holster that rides well on my hip belt of the two packs I use.

While processing in the field gun just goes in my back pocket.
My greatest predator worries come from being so focused on what I'm doing that something could walk in and try to take my kill. I feel like, besides just rounding a bend and stumbling upon a bear, that this is where I'm most vulnerable.... Covered in blood and distracted.

HPG chest rig (or a MOLLE panel chest rig set up how you like it) is a good move as well, I just haven't made that jump yet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk