Backcountry backpack predator protection carry holster options

6.5x284

WKR
I have the scandium Frame s&w 329pd. Love it! Shoot the Garrett cartridge hard cast pills through it. The 500 s&w grip fits it.....feels like a .40. I stake my life on it and absolutely recommend it.....holster....haven't used anything other than my eberlestock nosegunner as of yet. A nice waist holster on the pack belt would be solid.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

+1 on the 329 PD, but I use HSM Bear loads with 305 hard casts. I wear it in a leather holster on the pack belt on my right hip and if I have to ditch the pack (archery season) throw it on my pants belt.

BrentH

WKR
Another vote for JC Custom Kydex. Can't even tell it's there when hiking.

yhc

WKR
Another recommendation for Diamond D holster.

Buy Handcrafted Alaskan Leather Holsters | Diamond D Custom Leather

Attaching a holster to your pack's waist belt is nice to carry but there is no guarantee that you won't need the sidearm when your pack is 20 feet away. I use Diamond D holster to carry my .44 when I am hiking or hunting in grizzly country. It's very high quality..

I would NOT recommend a drop leg holster for hunting use. I have used a Safariland drop leg holster to carry my issue Beretta 9mm while deployed to Iraq. It has served me well but it did get a bit uncomfortable with extensive use. I can't imagine using it while hunting.

Regards,

I use a shoulder holster when I'm backpacking. Doesn't interfere with a backpack or a bino harness. Gun stays accessible, but out of the way.

Beendare

WKR
The shoulder rig is very slow for me with my bino's front and center....you don't want slow! Everyones different...but it has to be fast and instinctive whichever you choose.

I like a strong side belt holster- kydex or whatever....as this is very fast for me since i practice with pistols in that location a lot. Practice makes perfect bro....if you don't practice with it, don't even waste your time- bring spray instead.
holster re.jpg

FYI, You will have reliability issues with that Glock .45 and the loads you need for bears. You might be able to tweak it to make it work; new barrel, springs and buffer, extractor. My H&K USP shoots .45 super like it was made for it. Lots of guys tweaking the G20's for the hardcast loads you want for bears.
Re SW 329PD; if I was starting from scratch thats what I would get as I don't carry in Black bear country....only for the big bears. Sure it has some recoil but my experience is contrary to what others have said.... if you practice with it, its not that bad....and its accurate. I would remove the hammer lock before I did anything on that gun.

The only time I carry is when those Grizz are around and then its my SW629 classic .44 mag with 300gr BB hardcast loads.

Last edited:
Anybody ever drop your pistols toting it around in open top kydex on your pack belt like that?

I think if I were to carry something afield, I might want a little retention.

BrentH

WKR
Anybody ever drop your pistols toting it around in open top kydex on your pack belt like that?

Nope. You'd have to be nearly upside down and have some serious force applied for it to fall out IMO.

The Blackhawk Serpa actually has a retention device that hooks onto the trigger guard. Your index finger naturally hats the release when you grab the grip to remove.

Nuke Man

WKR
Drop legs suck! Your balls will thank you for running a side holster. I like paddle holsters. They easily go on pack belts and can quickly be transferred to your pants when you drop your pack. Don't have to mess with undoing belts or anything.

frankrb3

WKR
Keep in mind the ability to squeeze off more rounds doesn't mean more hits, and by the time you probably realize you need to be shooting you're only gonna have time for a shot or two. Not sure where you will be hunting, maybe I missed you say where, but if there is a chance that there will be a grizzly bear encounter I wouldn't want anything less than .44 magnum. I think the 10mm is plenty for all other creatures in the lower 48.

I carry both bear spray and a .44 smith and wesson model 69. Only 5 shots. I've had to draw the revolver once on a mountain lion, other than that no issues. Lots of guys mount their guns to their pack belts but I don't recommend that. When I encountered a mountain lion I had my pack off and was switching out a sweaty shirt in the dark. Looked up with my head lamp and spotted a set of eyes at 30 yards, ended up being a lion. Although I had taken my bino harness off (which is where I attach my bear spray) to change shirts, the .44 magnum was still on my pants belt. Cat stuck around for an hour until the sun came up and then he left. Revolver was out the entire time and felt I would only have time for one maybe two shots if the cat made a move. Point is, there's a lot of times I drop by pack to rest, or to glass over a ridge and it's just so much better knowing you gun is always on you. We lug them around to have them ready, so they should be on us at all times.

The system I have come up with is this. I attach my bear spray to my bino harness and I wear my revolver in a bladetech holster on my belt. I agree with an earlier post that drop rigs are not ideal for hiking. My set up attaches to my pants belt but hangs the gun just low enough to clear the waist belt on my pack. Works really well and I've never missed a draw when practicing, no matter how much gear I have on. Below are some pics of how it looks and rides. Good luck and be safe, I like where you head is at on this subject.

image3.jpg
image2.jpg
image1 (2).jpg

Last edited:

frankrb3

WKR
27 yards

image4.jpg

image2 (1).jpg

image1 (2).jpg

As you can see the holster hardware keeps the gun a little bit away from the body which would clear a waist belt. I wear pack pretty high so I always have plenty of room.

Last edited:

frankrb3

WKR
It's the DD/OS gen2. The holster is a 5" L-frame OSH. My model 69 only has a 4.25" barrel so I took a dremel to the holster and cut off half an inch from the end for a more proper fit. I have hiked a lot with hthe set up and really like it. The only issues I have are when I go to sit down to glass or drive my truck. Because it's rigid and hangs down a little it will want to hit the ground first and push back into you. All I do to correct is this is swing the holster forward a little as I go to sit down and it's a non issue. Fastest, most comfortable hiking holster set up I have tried and it's always on your body where it should be. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:

docdb

Lil-Rokslider

My j frame fell out of a JC custom kydex