Backcountry Bivy Elk Hunting Gear List....

Hey guys. I am planning my first archery elk hunt for next September and have been trying to perfect my gear list. I will be in the field for 8 days and will be hunting probably 3-5 miles into the backcountry. I am looking at leaving on Friday, Sept. 15 and packing up on Sunday, Sept. 24th. I am posting this now because I would like those of you who are hunting this fall to contribute your input/advice as you progress through the season. I have some of this stuff but not all of it yet. Let me know what you think fellas!

Exo Mountain Gear 3500 Backpack
Outdoorsman’s Micro Panhead
Outdoorsman’s Binocular Adapter
Promaster XC525C Tripod
Pacemaker Stix Expedition Poles
Phelps Game Calls Bugle Tube & Diaphram Calls
Kifaru Water Bottle Pocket
  • Mtn Ops Goblet Bottle w/ Human Gear Bottle Cap (For when I get tired of drinking from a tube; Mixing Mtn Ops Enduro)
Source Tactical WXP 3L Bladder (Main bladder sandwiches in between pack and frame)
Exo Mountain Gear Belt Pouch
  • Insect Repellent
  • Anti Monkey Butt Powder
  • Sunscreen
  • Tummz Antacid
  • Ibuprophen
  • Bic Lighter
  • Camp Soap
  • Neosporin
  • Super Glue
  • Extra Wind Checker
  • Leukotape
  • Tenacious Tape Clear Repair Tape
  • Zpacks Toothbrush and Toothpaste

(External Lid)
Mtn Ops Beanie
First Lite Shale Gloves
20DOLLARBANDIT UMK Mod. 2 First Aid Kit
Rokslide Kill Kit (Kifaru Large Pullout Pouch)
  • Tag B.O.M.B Bags
  • Flagging Tape
  • Latex Gloves
  • Havalon Piranta w/ Extra Blades
  • Bundle of Paracord
  • Contractor Bags
  • Indian Valley Meat “Gamesaver” Citric Acid
  • Spray Bottle
Hydration/Filtration Kit (Kifaru Medium Pullout Pouch)
  • Platypus Big Zip 3L Bag (Gravity System; Dirty Bag)
  • Sawyer Squeeze & Backflush
  • Adapter Kits (Sawyer & Source)
  • Backup Water Treatment Tablets

(Main Bag on Backpack)
Tarptent Moment DW Tent
Big Agnes Q-Core SLX (Long/Wide)
Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20 Degree Quilt
Zpacks Roll Top Food Bag w/ Lawson Bear Bagging Line 2.5mm 50 ft. Hank & 3 Carabiners (Food Hanging); 8 Food Bags
  • Heathers Choice Buckwheat Breakfast
  • Perfect Almond Butter Bars
  • String Cheese
  • Butthole Sandwich
  • Heather’s Choice Salmon Snacks
  • Heather’s Choice Espresso/Orange Vanilla Packaroons
  • Heather’s Choice Dehydrated Meals
  • Mtn Ops Blaze Shots
  • Mtn Ops Enduro Trail Mix
Zpacks Pillow Plus Dry Bag (Pillow)
  • Darn Tough Hiker Cushion Socks #1403 (Extra Pair)
  • First Lite Dobson Boxers (Extra Pair)
  • First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy
  • First Lite Allegheny Base Layer Bottoms
  • First Lite Shorts (2017?)
  • First Lite Gaiters
  • Orange Aglow Glow Safety Panel
  • Rimrok Stalkers (Camp/Stalking Shoes)
Cook Kit (Kifaru Large Pullout Pouch)
  • MSR Reactor 1.7L Stove
  • Sea to Summit Alpha Light Spork
  • Scrub Sponge
  • Tin Foil
  • Packable Butter
  • Seasoning
Primus Micron Lantern
Extra Isobutane Fuel Canister
Exo Mountain Gear Stash Pocket
  • Dark Energy Poseidon Charger
  • Zebralight H600w Mk II Headlamp (18650 Battery)
  • Extra Battery For Headlamp (18650’s)
  • Charging Cords

Alaska Guide Creations Cub Binopack w/ Max Pocket and BTS
  • Swarovski SLC 10x42 Binoculars
  • Leica Rangemaster 1000r Rangefinder
  • FHF Gear Lanyard
  • iPhone with Onxmaps app
  • Delorme Inreach
  • PhoneSkope iPhone 6s Kit
  • Toilet Paper/Wipes
  • Ferro Rod
  • Trioxane Fuel Tablets
  • Bic Lighter
  • Signal Mirror
  • Whistle
  • FHF Gear Optics Cleaning Kit
  • Natural Camo Black Face Paint
  • Judo Small Game Heads
  • Moccasin Joe Wind Checker
  • License and Tags (Back Pocket)
  • Kestrel Knives Ovis Hunter Knife (Like to have a fixed blade whenever in the woods; might substitute for Kestrel EDC)

Worn On My Person:
  • First Lite Wilkin Quarter Zip
  • First Lite Chama Hoody
  • First Lite Corrugate Pants w/ First Lite Suspenders
  • Shemagh
  • First Lite Dobson Boxers
  • Darn Tough #1403 Socks
  • Crispi Nevada Legend GTX

Last edited:

Pow

FNG
Looks more like a pack hunt than a bivy hunt to me. That is a lot of gear to carry all the time for a bivy hunt.

Anyway, I always look for duplication and items that can be used for more than one thing. For example and SAR folks may frown at this, but why carry a whistle when you have an elk call. Just make unnatural sounds if you want help. Sounds like you are packing a lot of socks when two pair will do. Why a ferro rod when you could do matches and bic (fire starting is a good thing to have dups on). Anyway, I just got called for dinner.

IdahoElk

WKR
You have a great list, the only things That personally I wouldn't take are Insect repellent and sunscreen,never needed either.Insects don't like the high altitude and like an Elk I avoid being in any sun as much as possible add the smell factor also.
What date, state and altitude will you be hunting at?

What's your plan with using the carabiners?
I don't think you'll feel like you forgot something. Good list.

OP
G
Looks more like a pack hunt than a bivy hunt to me. That is a lot of gear to carry all the time for a bivy hunt.

Anyway, I always look for duplication and items that can be used for more than one thing. For example and SAR folks may frown at this, but why carry a whistle when you have an elk call. Just make unnatural sounds if you want help. Sounds like you are packing a lot of socks when two pair will do. Why a ferro rod when you could do matches and bic (fire starting is a good thing to have dups on). Anyway, I just got called for dinner.

That's funny that you mention SAR because I had to buy a whistle when I was on my local counties SAR team. But I figured I would throw it in my bino harness just because it's pretty light. That's also a good point about the elk calls. Also, I probably could go without the ferry rod but it's more for in case my lighter for some reason stops working. That thing puts out way more sparks then I can carry matches. And yeah maybe I got confused on what a bivy hunt is lol. I will pack all my gear in and probably change "camp" locations a few times throughout the week. All on my feet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G
You have a great list, the only things That personally I wouldn't take are Insect repellent and sunscreen,never needed either.Insects don't like the high altitude and like an Elk I avoid being in any sun as much as possible add the smell factor also.
What date, state and altitude will you be hunting at?

I'm probably looking at an OTC hunt in Idaho or Colorado. 7 days in the field plus travel time, most likely Sept. 16-23. Not exactly sure what elevation yet as I'm not exactly sure where I'll be hunting. But yeah, I had the sunscreen/bug spray anyway and I figured I might as well through it in the hip pouch. I'm sure I could definitely go without it, though.

OP
G
What's your plan with using the carabiners?
I don't think you'll feel like you forgot something. Good list.

The carabiners are to hang my food bag in a tree with a block and tackle system. I saw a video that Backcountry Hunters and Anglers put together explaining how to do it. Again, probably not necessary but I'd rather not have a bear rummaging through my camp. Or rodents chewing through my tent! Lol

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
Don't forget some sort of wipes (didn't see it on the list unless I missed it). Also not sure if all that will fit in the agc cub. Mine doesn't have the max pocket though, so not sure how much that adds.

wendigo

FNG
I agree with pow. That looks like a load of gear!

Personally I would drop the following, plus a few other items most likley:
Outdoorsman’s Binocular Adapter
Promaster XC525C Tripod - screw and glue an attachment to the top of you hiking stick and you will have a viable monopod.

Source Tactical WXP 3L Bladder - you also have a 3l platypus listed, unless you are planning on carrying 13 pounds of h2o...

Insect Repellent
Sunscreen
Camp Soap
Neosporin
Extra Wind Checker
Kifaru Meat Baggie - already have Tag bags
I don't use a water filter, saves a lot of weight. your results may vary.
3 Carabiners
First Lite Shorts
Olive Oil in Mini Dropper Bottle - OO freezes, butter does not
Primus Micron Lantern
I don't know what all this is (Dark Energy Poseidon Charger
Zebralight H600w Mk II (18650 Battery)
Extra Battery For Headlamp (18650’s)
Charging Cords) but I bet it weighs a hell of a lot

There is a gps, an inreach, and an iphone?
Garmin GPSMAP 64s w/ OnXmaps Chip
Delorme Inreach
PhoneSkope iPhone 6s Kit
Ferro Rod
Trioxane Fuel Tablets
Signal Mirror
Whistle
FHF Gear Optics Cleaning Kit - just a lens wipe will do
Zip Ties
Kestrel Knives Ovis Hunter Knife - you already listed a knife with replaceable blades no less

I see there is no flask on this list?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I agree with wendigo. I also have NEVER taken a tripod on an elk hunt in 35 years of hunting them. I see a lot of "nice to haves" but not necessary items. And definitely add in wipes.

And that late in the season I would definitely keep the Micron Lantern for the tent.

elkyinzer

WKR
With a quick glance it looks like a lot of redundancy and optionals for a true bivy hunt. You've got to be 35-40 lbs easy without water and counting your weapon. A lot of extra clothes. Camp shoes, redundant electronics I would question the need for. Food for 7 days is a lot of weight to carry if you are set on bivy style, may want to reload at the truck halfway through. Depending where you go, you could definitely drop the tripod. Glassing is useless in the timber that I hunt. With the optics I would question if all that would even fit in an Exo 3500.

Obviously I don't know what kind of experience you have but if you are inexperienced at bivy/backpack hunting, far and away my #1 advice would be to get out, even around home and "practice" it as much as possible. You'll learn from your own mistakes and experiences pretty quickly.

Also, if you are talking about one week to travel and hunt, you are probably stretching it very thin for time. If you are driving from East of the Mississippi, that is minimum 2 travel days and that is not going to allow you to be in optimal mountain condition if you are messing up your sleep schedule to ram through the drive. Consider that it takes at least a day, maybe more if solo, to get an elk off the mountain, so if you have a firm deadline to be home you could be giving yourself only 3.5 to 4 days of actual hunting. I would ideally shoot for a week and a half, that's what I do and I would really like to do 2-3 weeks but vacation time and family take precedent for now.

xziang

WKR
I'm still a rookie at this but last Friday I hiked in a ways with a full pack and planned to stay a couple nights. I didn't see anything Friday night and Saturday morning was a bust and the sign just wasn't in that area. I thought about going deeper but I thought twice due to if if I were to get something I'm going to have a serious task on my hands since I was solo.

I hiked back to the truck and truck camped and ditched almost everything from my pack to move much more quickly and lighter and it was 10X easier. Even after hunting the area 3 years I'm sill learning the area and not sure I would commit to hiking in a tent anymore unless I'm seeing elk on a constant basis. This is just my .02 if you have good info on a place then I might be well worth it to hike in with heavy packs.

OP
G
Don't forget some sort of wipes (didn't see it on the list unless I missed it). Also not sure if all that will fit in the agc cub. Mine doesn't have the max pocket though, so not sure how much that adds.

How could I forget wipes/TP!!! Lol I have it packed I just forgot to list it I guess. Everything that I have listed fits in my AGC pack. I am still contemplating if I want to buy a GPS or just use the Onxmaps app on my phone. I don't really want to carry a GPS and a Delorme inreach. I'm going to play around with the app this season deer hunting and see how I like it.

OP
G
I agree with wendigo. I also have NEVER taken a tripod on an elk hunt in 35 years of hunting them. I see a lot of "nice to haves" but not necessary items. And definitely add in wipes.

And that late in the season I would definitely keep the Micron Lantern for the tent.

The tripod is one of the last things that I'm going to buy. I saw it as duel purpose for glassing and also for filming with my camera. I want to be able to make a short film about the hunt and thought it would be cool for different shots. I'm sure i probably won't NEED it though and once I get everything and feel how heavy my pack is I'll probably end up leaving it home. Lol. And would you recommend the lantern for September? I like the idea of not burning up my headlamp in the morning when I wake up. Plus growing up I have always turned on a propane lantern as soon as I wake up at deer camp.

OP
G
I'm still a rookie at this but last Friday I hiked in a ways with a full pack and planned to stay a couple nights. I didn't see anything Friday night and Saturday morning was a bust and the sign just wasn't in that area. I thought about going deeper but I thought twice due to if if I were to get something I'm going to have a serious task on my hands since I was solo.

I hiked back to the truck and truck camped and ditched almost everything from my pack to move much more quickly and lighter and it was 10X easier. Even after hunting the area 3 years I'm sill learning the area and not sure I would commit to hiking in a tent anymore unless I'm seeing elk on a constant basis. This is just my .02 if you have good info on a place then I might be well worth it to hike in with heavy packs.

I think for the first year I will go in like planned just to experience it. But from what I hear a viable option is to cover a lot of ground every day and if I'm not seeing anything drive my truck to the next location and hunt that area for a day or two. I expect that I'll pack in my gear, set up camp, hunt for a day or two in that specific area, and if I'm not getting into elk or seeing sign I will pick up camp and hike to a different area. That's the plan anyways b

OP
G
With a quick glance it looks like a lot of redundancy and optionals for a true bivy hunt. You've got to be 35-40 lbs easy without water and counting your weapon. A lot of extra clothes. Camp shoes, redundant electronics I would question the need for. Food for 7 days is a lot of weight to carry if you are set on bivy style, may want to reload at the truck halfway through. Depending where you go, you could definitely drop the tripod. Glassing is useless in the timber that I hunt. With the optics I would question if all that would even fit in an Exo 3500.

Obviously I don't know what kind of experience you have but if you are inexperienced at bivy/backpack hunting, far and away my #1 advice would be to get out, even around home and "practice" it as much as possible. You'll learn from your own mistakes and experiences pretty quickly.

Also, if you are talking about one week to travel and hunt, you are probably stretching it very thin for time. If you are driving from East of the Mississippi, that is minimum 2 travel days and that is not going to allow you to be in optimal mountain condition if you are messing up your sleep schedule to ram through the drive. Consider that it takes at least a day, maybe more if solo, to get an elk off the mountain, so if you have a firm deadline to be home you could be giving yourself only 3.5 to 4 days of actual hunting. I would ideally shoot for a week and a half, that's what I do and I would really like to do 2-3 weeks but vacation time and family take precedent for now.

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely take that into consideration. I have a few places around where I live in California that I can practice an overnight with my equipment. Also that is a great idea reloading at the truck mid way through the hunt. I have been hiking with a weighted pack for the next couple months and will continue to do so as my gear pile accumulates. I have a buddy that wants to go but doesn't know for sure if he will be able to yet so I'm planning for the worst case scenario which is a solo hunt. I might even consider renting pack llamas. I have done some internet research on using pack llamas and think it could possibly be an option for getting an elk out by myself.

Last edited:

Pow

FNG
View attachment 40047

Very messy pile of what I have for a bivy hunt. That all fits in that Sitka 2000ci bag including the food that is in that plastic bag. Still in the back pack are game bags, monocular and range finder. I don't get the chance to hunt much open ground because the elk around here just don't spend much time in the open ground, so the monocular works well enough.

Those are the clothes I wear wadded up there too, but the big pieces are Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1, Montbell spiral down hugger, Klymit Inertia X frame sleeping pad, down puffy, ... If it is particularly dry, I take an extra 16oz Sawyer bladder. Including the bow, it is around 28#s.

If I'm going 4 nights, I'll have an extra bag of food strapped on the outside because it just won't fit.

OP
G
Updates have been made to the pack list. Also, FYI you will notice that most of my gear is compartmentalized because I hate having loose gear around and I absolutely HATE having things in my pockets. Lol.

Anicosia

FNG
You have a good list, I have a few recommendations based off of my experience.
Invest in a Steripen and ditch the rest of your filtration equipment. I Bring the pen a 14 oz Nalgene and an empty MSR 2 liter dromedary. I use the Nalgene to transfer sterilized water into the bladder.
I carry the pen and Nalgene when away from camp. I have drank water that most people would gag if they smelled it and never gotten sick. I carry aquamarina for backup in case the pen fails.
At altitude I need to force myself to eat. I got back last night from a 4 day bivy hunt at 11k feet. I ate 1 MH for dinner, tuna pouch for lunch, pro bar for breakfast and miniature paydays for snacks. I lost 5 lbs, but that is usually the case with high altitude hunts.
They only fill windchecker bottles part way, I always fill 1 bottle with 2.
Bring handwarmers 1 set a night for your feet. I throw 1 in each sock and never have cold feet. Plus it heats up the entire bag.
I bring some type of sleeping aid.
Dont forget a sharpie to sign your tag.
Lithium batteries are worth the extra money.
Add 3m steristrips to your firstaid kit. They will hold a deep gas closed and they weigh nothing.
Ditch the hunting knife you only need the Havelon.
Get the biodegradable wipes. Walmart sales them in the Coleman brand.
I would not reccomend more than 4 nights for a bivy hunt. Make a trip back to the truck to restock for extra nights.
Check out the podcast that Aaron Snyder did on the Gritty Bowmen show, he talked about his gear list. It is spot on. You can find it on Youtube.