BACKCOUNTRY BODY ODOR

xnader

FNG
Backcountry guys, 3-7 days living off of our back type. I went and did it for my first time last september, and I could hardly stand to be in my own skin by the end. To the point I was rubbing myself with sage brush to mask it. Obviously a smart hunter knows that wind is the key to keeping game from smelling you. But what about smelling yourself? How do you guys (attempt to) manage your own stink by day 5-6? Wool clothing? Extra garments? Obviously don't really want to be lathering myself in old spice trying to hunt animals who survive by their nose. Any input appreciated!

slick

WKR
Maybe baby wipes depending on length of trip- more to cut down on swamp butt.

Gold bond for the balls and feet.
I could honestly care less about stink and more about preventing blisters and chaffing.

It’s 7 days, just get stinky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlgc20

WKR
I don't take extra garments. I use merino wool base layers which seems to help. I also bring Dead Down Wind body wipes. I think its important to get out ahead of it. Once you can smell yourself, its probably too late. I try to wipe down all "critical" areas each night before crawling in the tent.

Huntin_GI

WKR
I'm a fan of a nightly high quality whore bath with wipes (get completely naked and air dry after), really hitting the crevices, feet, etc. Add in a body/foot powder to manage sweat, deodorant for the pits, and to be honest, I don't think I smell too bad. Also, merino socks, drawers, base shirt.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I used some wipes called wilderness wipes in montana they were great and had very little scent compared to most baby wipes ( i think i read about them on here maybe do a search)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Merino wool base layers. I'll soak mine every day with sweat chasing elk and after a week and they're dry, they smell like merino wool base layers. But I've known guys that can't go a day without washing because they smell so bad. Maybe try some Arm & Hammer deodorant as well.

Wet wipes can be allowed to air dry out to save weight, then rehydrated when you need them.

I also carry a little bit of doctor bronners soap. Mix in some fresh creek water and take a mini bath if I get a chance.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Maverick1

WKR
Merino wool base layers.

Minimal to no synthetic fabric against the skin.

Baby wipes.

Stream-bathing every several days, depending on the amount of fromunda.

Sleep in the buff with a silk sleeping bag liner.

Tried a solar shower for the first time last year, that was a nice addition for a small weight penalty.

Once you can smell yourself, or the flies are finding you easily, it is time to clean up.

Wear merino wool base layers. Synthetics start to stink really quickly on a hunt. Daily wet wipe bath and a small travel deodorant.

def90

WKR
Baby wipes and multiple pairs of underwear. I’ll wear the same out layers through the whole trip but change underwear every evening when I get back to camp. Cotton or merino, no synthetic period. And, I’ll say it if it hasn’t already been said.. do some manscaping both down there and in your armpits, you’d be amazed at how much of a difference it makes.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I'm a fan of a nightly high quality whore bath with wipes (get completely naked and air dry after), really hitting the crevices, feet, etc. Add in a body/foot powder to manage sweat, deodorant for the pits, and to be honest, I don't think I smell too bad. Also, merino socks, drawers, base shirt.
This! I'll wash my stocks and underwear every few days in leu of the powders.

Mosby

WKR
I normally set up a base camp to work an area out of and I always bring something I can put hot water in and a washcloth and clean up when I come back to resupply food or whatever. If there is a decent size town nearby and they have a Y some of them will let you take a hot shower for $5. A hot shower halfway through a hunt is money.

Moserkr

WKR
For the back country I had my buddies wife make us some small bars of scentless soap. I wear contacts so i wash my hands daily before handling. Rehydrated wipes for a “bath”, or the soap if theres enough water. Tried the unscented deodorant but its too much weight to carry. Apply before i go. Merino layers are necessary. Embrace the stink, play the wind. I dont carry extra garments, wash in the creek n dry in the hot tent or sun if needed. I dont wear merino briefs only cause i hear the durability isnt there, but im curious if theres good thin ones out there.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Quality merino base layers are key IMO....even my wife asks how I don’t stink to high heaven when I get home after 10 days without a shower and sweating my ass off. I’ll wipe the low down area when I take my deuces and I’m good to go. I mean I’m not pulling any ladies out of the backcountry so play the wind and should be heading in the right direction.

jmez

WKR
Merino base layers and drawers. Wet wipes and wipe off entire body every night. Carry a small bar of soap and camp towel in pack. I'll take a bath in a stream or stock tank every so often.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
Whenever I go to Buffalo Wild Wings I usually swipe a handful of their wet wipes. Lightweight, individual packets and they only cost you the price of a dozen mango habanero wings. The only downside is you might go through a few of them trying to cool things down after a bout with the fire sh*ts the following morning

grfox92

WKR
After you take your last shower before departing on your trip, lather your whole body, head to toe in virgin coconut oil. The kind you find on the shelf next to all the other cooking oils.

If the smell bothers you try filtered Coconut oil.

Long story short, coconut oil is antimicrobial by nature, and very good for your skin. I can get 3 days before I get any funk at all and am considering adding it to my pack to re apply after a whore bath with wipes.

I put it on my feet every morning before work and it helps keep my feet and boots from stinking.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk