backcountry book help

handwerk

WKR
I'm looking for suggestions for books ( Christmas gift) for my 3 adult kids. This time not looking for hunting based books ( although all 3 hunt) , what are some of your favorite backcountry adventure type books that were a good read.
Thanks

mlgc20

WKR
A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson
Indian Creek Chronicles - Peter Fromm
Centennial - James Michener

dtrkyman

WKR
Illumination in the flat woods...Joe Hutto

A Sand county almanac. Aldo Leopold

last stand...Grinnel

American Coyote...American Serengeti...Dan Flores

One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey by Sam Keith
The Thousand Mile Summer, The Man Who Walked Through Time by Colin Fletcher
Touching the Void by Joe Simpson

ODB

WKR
Read South by Alfred Lansing, then read In the Heart of the Sea by Philbrick.

you’ll get an excellent comparison showing how important leadership and trust in leadership really is.

If any of your kids are into WW2 history I can send you a signed copy of a book on a parachute company that I wrote. I have a few extras in hardback and paperback from the publisher. Look up Fighting Fox Company on Amazon if you think they may be interested. Not really “outdoor“ related though.

Any of the Teddy Roosevelt books on the American west.

Although not backcountry specific "Boys in the Boat" is an excellent read. Covers growing up post depression and ends at the '36 Olympics. Boys were a wee bit tougher back then!

BKasaback

FNG
If any of your kids are into WW2 history I can send you a signed copy of a book on a parachute company that I wrote. I have a few extras in hardback and paperback from the publisher. Look up Fighting Fox Company on Amazon if you think they may be interested. Not really “outdoor“ related though.
That’s so amazing!!! I’ll have to check it out!

Doc7

FNG
I just started reading Labyrinth of Ice by Buddy Levy, it’s about the Greely Polar Expedition. Very well written, so far it’s really good!

That’s on my short list after his recent MeatEater appearance. But - if they haven’t read Sand County almanac I strongly recommend it!!! An American Classic!