Backcountry Bow Repair Kit

What kind of items do you bring in the backcountry for potential bow repair? Currently I bring: extra d loop, extra release, allen wrench set and string wax. I was thinking of maybe adding a wisker biscuit depending on weight. Thoughts?

Northpark

WKR
D loop, Allen wrenches and spare release for me. I kind of like the idea of a whisker biscuit in case things go south with a drop away in the field.

Always have a backup release, that's not a repair item, just I'm an idiot and loose things.

Outside of allen wrenches to tighten a loose screw, a little serving and loop material that can also fix drop away cord I'm not fixing anything without a target to confirm that the fixes I made didn't alter anything.

In the vehicle, I'll have a fair amount of stuff if not a backup bow.

Always have a backup release, that's not a repair item, just I'm an idiot and loose things.

Outside of allen wrenches to tighten a loose screw, a little serving and loop material that can also fix drop away cord I'm not fixing anything without a target to confirm that the fixes I made didn't alter anything.

Do you worry about the heat on the bow stored in your truck at all? I have a hard time leaving a bow in the truck during September cuz it’s usually pretty hot here in Idaho.

Do you worry about the heat on the bow stored in your truck at all? I have a hard time leaving a bow in the truck during September cuz it’s usually pretty hot here in Idaho.

Put it in a case, tucked away. It will insulate it to some degree, like a cooler.

I wouldn't leave it on a seat or the dash, but that's more for theft.

Parking facing north actually helps a lot with heating up a vehicle too. Be surprised the difference the windshield facing south makes. You frequently don't get a lot of choices there, but if it comes to backing in or pulling in, I try to face the front end north, or out if the sun as much as possible. My black interior will burn your ass if you aren't careful.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In Colorado, I normally leave everything in my truck along with a target and plan to hike out if I need a bow repair beyond a D loop or serving thread repair. For my Alaska trip next week (10 day fly in, DIY caribou), I'm bringing Allen wrenches, D-loop material, serving thread, a spare peep, spare Hamskea tension spring. If I can't fix it with that, I'll borrow someone else's bow after they tag out and plan to get close. Done that before.

In Colorado, I normally leave everything in my truck along with a target and plan to hike out if I need a bow repair beyond a D loop or serving thread repair. For my Alaska trip next week (10 day fly in, DIY caribou), I'm bringing Allen wrenches, D-loop material, serving thread, a spare peep, spare Hamskea tension spring. If I can't fix it with that, I'll borrow someone else's bow after they tag out and plan to get close. Done that before.
Pretty much what I do. I might as well hike out to fix the bow. I’m probably going to have to check everything anyway. I used to carry d loop material and wrenches with me, but never used it. It’s just not really practical. Now at the truck I’ll have a small pro shop….including a press if I have room and going far.

I’m not usually more than three or four hours from home anyway.

OR Archer

WKR

Same. Serving, pre made loop, rest cord, and a lighter. Wrenches also. That’s it. If I can’t fix it with those things then I’m headed to the truck for a backup bow or to find a shop with a press. And I usually map out shops ahead of time for quickest access.

Tcatt

FNG
Thats one of the beauties of traditional archery! Extra string that’s already set up and spare tab! But there are times I don’t get to punch a tag because of my limited range!

Marble

WKR
We take all the stuff mentioned above, but at the truck we have a full kit, extra strings and a press.

I think we both bring ab extra sight and rest.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

RangerJim

FNG
While it’s not a repair item, I include a judo tip. I want to be able to take a practice shot at something if I’m doing any adjustments to my bow.

Last edited:

nphunter

WKR
I will just use my knife to make a spear if my bow breaks. I don't carry any spare tools or parts specifically for working on my bow. I'm never in more than a few miles and if I just need to fly out to the truck without camp I can cover about 2-3 mph in the backcountry so a trip back to the truck or even down to town will only cost me a day. I also live out west and get to hunt 60+ days a year so a day off won't kill me, I used to have a backup bow but sold that as well after years of never needing one.

OP
SpartanKnight
I will just use my knife to make a spear if my bow breaks. I don't carry any spare tools or parts specifically for working on my bow. I'm never in more than a few miles and if I just need to fly out to the truck without camp I can cover about 2-3 mph in the backcountry so a trip back to the truck or even down to town will only cost me a day. I also live out west and get to hunt 60+ days a year so a day off won't kill me, I used to have a backup bow but sold that as well after years of never needing one.
Seems like a waste of a knife. Just flint knap a spear point. Easy as that...

OP
SpartanKnight
It's funny after starting this thread, I splintered my bow limb pretty bad while hunting deep in the backcountry.

I was able to repair it by using nailclippers to cleanly snip the splinter off. Then I used Krazy glue to put on the whole length of the splinter. This way it doesn't get bigger and also create issues when handled.

I tend to always carry Krazy glue for its multipurpose for both medical and utility. I was glad I had it then. I shot the bow the rest of the season with no problem. I then was able to get it fixed under warranty at the end of the year.

Attachments

• F397C9F6-AFC5-4059-A15B-8C6D94C4307F.jpeg
    F397C9F6-AFC5-4059-A15B-8C6D94C4307F.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 18