Backcountry Burglars

treillw

WKR
Curious if anybody has had trouble with people stealing stuff left at a backcountry camp site?

Tent, sleeping bags, pads, stove, misc gear and clothes...... there can be a couple thousand dollars worth of stuff there if somebody wanted to take advantage of it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
They'd have to be a real scumbag and an idiot to mess with a hunter's camp. But the world seems to be full of both these days, so who knows. I hear about things being stolen every now and then, but fortunately haven't been hit yet. At base camp I leave a few cameras around and really try to hide them. But with a pack-in camp, not sure you want to haul cameras in with you.

I read a thread on a local outdoor forum about a guy coming back to his camp and getting into an armed stand off with two guys that were stealing stuff. I’ll see if I can dig it up.

I, personally, have never had issues. I try to be very aware of what I’m leaving in the truck. My next “gear” purchase will probably be a locking bed cover to protect all of my gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never had a problem. I’ve actually been surprised as sometimes I’ve accidentally left my binos and gun in my truck unlocked overnight before and never had an issue.

jhm2023

WKR
I've never had a problem with the exception of someone breaking into my buddies truck while we were out hunting. Not very fun when you hike for 2 days with a load of meat and gear only to find the truck has been gone through and the battery stolen leaving you stranded. Honestly I put camp thieves in the same category as a bear for a DLP shooting. If I'm 10+ miles back and that camp is what we are depending on to stay safe and/or alive because it's not possible to make it back to the truck and I catch someone stealing my stuff, well then I'm probably going to message the troopers on my inreach to come recover him. Unless of course they cooperate and I can get all their info to report to the troopers.

stonewall

WKR
someone posted on here a while back...had shot a deer, packed it out. went back a few days later for his camp - spotter and sleeping bag gone

I haven't personally had anything ever stolen, and I've hunted CO, ID, NM, AZ, NV and WY.

But there is no question from talking with local hunters that NM is the most likely state that you would have a problem with theft.

dmc

FNG
This year we had a beer cooler stolen but they left the Yeti that had the frozen food.... Guessing some kids found something they couldn't resist.

dtrkyman

WKR
I’ve hunted all over and was always concerned about it.

Finally had a cooler full of food stolen in AZ. Last year, had only went out on a quick afternoon hunt after just arriving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always worry about it as well but never had anything like that happen. Helps when you have an extra vehicle parked at camp or a atv on sight to make it look like someone may be there.

Never had anything stolen, but was advised by a local ID sheriff to keep an eye out since thefts are always up during hunting season. Mostly propane tanks, coolers,etc.

I've heard of a couple.
My friends wife was back at camp taking a nap in the camp trailer when I guy backed up and started lowering the hitch to steal the whole trailer she pulled her rifle.

Then the was the guy Cam Hanes did the fundraiser for, his entire bivy camp was stolen 12 miles in. Bad weather to boot.

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
We have a camp set up right now in the woods (going back monday). May I suggest placing a game camera in a not so conspicuous place?

There is a law in the woods about messing with another guys stuff. "What comes around...." The vast majority of guys out there understand this and will never have an issue while in the woods. We had a wall tent set up in North Idaho for over a month and while we came and went never had an issue.

IdahoElk

WKR
I've been stowing camp gear for almost 30yrs an the only thing that has messed with my stuff is bears. I'm still looking for a Thermarest one took a few years ago.

Bld6159

FNG
I try and camp out view of others just for this reason. Plus I enjoy the privacy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Have had full camp setups stolen out of the shell of my truck twice...pack, tent, bag, stove, everything....once in Portland, once in Anchorage. Never ever had a problem in the woods....

SWOHTR

WKR
Nothing yet but have had my truck’s gas tank siphoned. I was sitting in the tree and heard an ATV stutter...start...drive off. Thought nothing of it until I got back and was on E.

Now I always park with my gas tank door as close to a bush as possible.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Never had any issues with stuff being messed with at camp. Trailhead can be another story.