Backcountry Cameras - Whats your choice?

OR Archer

WKR
Looking at getting a new camera. Who uses what type of camera and why? What brand and options are you also using with your set up? Being this is a camera for hunting I'm looking for something that is going to be as light as possible and do as many functions as possible ie; high zoom, video, and good pic quality. Has to be durable also.

I have been using a Nikon cool pix that used AA batteries, but recently upgraded to an Olympus SZ-20 16 megapixel with 12x super wide lense. It also shoots full 1080 high def video. Only problem is it has an internal battery. I had to buy a extra battery, but found that in good sun my goal zero will charge it in a couple of hours.

OP
OR Archer

OR Archer

WKR
I've used Nikon the past few years and not had much luck with them. Pic quality was ok but the durability and battery life were non existent. Ive pretty much ruled out another Nikon at this point.

I am not happy with battery life of the Olympus also. Lasts about three days, but if you shoot video it flat drains it. But the goal zero does a great job charging it. I have to carry the goal zero anyway to keepy my garmin rino charged.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Olympus TG-1...Too much rain up here to leave a non-waterproof camera handy enough to just pull out and shoot whenever. Not much zoom, but 1080 video and hooks up to my digiscoping setup with ease, so I have plenty of zoom then. :D Best waterproof camera I've had to date. Plus if you really want zoom its the first point and shoot waterproof camera that accepts a fish eye or telescoping lenses, but I don't bother. Battery life is great.

I tried bringing along a non-waterproof camera for the first time in 3 years on one trip last year, I killed the cannon elph even though it was in a ziploc just cause it was raining so hard on my hike and it was in the lid of my pack which of course got soaked as well. Oh well, live and learn and know what works for you and what your needs are.

Not to disagree with Luke, because he is spot on about the Olympus but.... Im gonna sell mine to get either the Sony NEX5 or Nikon 1 as the picture quality is far superior. Tough to bet the Olympus for durability as well.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Not to disagree with Luke, because he is spot on about the Olympus but.... Im gonna sell mine to get either the Sony NEX5 or Nikon 1 as the picture quality is far superior. Tough to bet the Olympus for durability as well.

How much you selling your TG-1 for?

Ill let ya know Luke, I have the lens adapter on it as well. I was going to adapt my Tines up digiscope kit to it but am one adapter ring short...

bobhunts

WKR
Pentax Optio
I have been using a Panasonic DMC-ZS5 for the last two years in dry conditions while hunting elk and battery life is awesome. I know someone that works for the goverment at Denver International Airport and that brand is what they are issued. A better model than what I have but newer. As far as wet and wild I just bought one of the Go Pro Hero 3 cameras for my trip to Alaska on my trek for a moose. Wish I could understand how to use it. I actually had to print the insructions off the net as they are not included but I will read and reread before I leave and actually try it out shed huntind this spring. Alot of the tv shows are using them so they must be good as far as picture quality.Bob

Hardstalk

WKR
After months of shopping I pulled the trigger on the sony rx100. Here is my list of wants when shopping. (I also blew up bb's inbox before purchasing as I do with all optic purchases)

1. Lightweight
2. Compact
3. Professional capabilities
4. High quality for magazine submissions
5. Good glass
6. Wont be outdated in a month

This camera is a steep price tag for a "point and shoot" but it doesnt fall short on any spectrum of other cameras including dslr. I also had the need to not only take pictures but capture moments. Some cameras do this some cameras do this well. The rx100 has left me and any other person behind the screen speechless at image quality. Not only did I need the camera for hunting but I always find ways to incorporate my "gear" for home use to justify the steep price tag. My 9month old daughter will definitely appreciate the quality when she is older. We have a handful of priceless pictures now because We can push the on button and start capturing moments with a push of a button. I highly recommend taking a look at it next time your in the electronic store.