Backcountry camping. Do you worry about black bears?

Im heading to Colorado this Sept and plan on hanging our food and carrying the pistol. Probably neither are necessary but I dont want to cut the hunt short for anything other than a filled tag.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Black bears worry? No. An issue? Maybe. Black bears are similar wherever they are. For the most part. More afraid of you. I have never worried about them chewing on me. Over the years, I started getting more lax around camp. In 2019 backcountry camp (Idaho) , I had a bear visit while I was out hunting. He pushed his way through the tent. Chewed my toiletries bag, stove (Esbit) and piss bottle. (Eww!) He also pulled my mattress pad out (Which I found ~ 20 yards down hill.) My food was in a bag on a 6' stump. (He didn't touch it. But everything was vacuum sealed). He did chew on my garbage also. (About 40 yards from camp).

I am pretty sure I pushed him out as I returned at 0 dark thirty. Chewed items still had slobber on them. (I did hear a twig snap as I was collecting my stuff, so he wasn't too far off) The biggest PIA was mattress pad. He punched holes in it and I couldn't seal all the holes well enough with tenacious tape/glue. (I am old. Sleeping is paramount) Next morning, I pulled camp and hunted out of truck the rest of the trip. Primarily because I knew he would be back to that camp (That is what bears do) and my pad was shot. And maybe the next time, there might be feathers everywhere from my WM bag.

Primary cause? I suspect toothpaste/spit may have contributed. Since that experience, I store all food/toothpaste in storage bag hung high. Additionally I spit toothpaste away from camp. (In a stream if no one is camped down stream)

FWIW. In black bear country, I don't carry spray or sidearm.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Buy a bear tag and you won't see one

Hang any food that is not sealed (no need to hang mountain house packets)

Moserkr

WKR
Wow, this thread blew up. Thanks to everyone who had a response related to back country hunting in COLORADO. It sounds like Black Bears mostly want your food - not your flesh. Now I'm interested if the seasoned COLORADO hunters on this thread carry a pistol or bear spray when hunting COLORADO.
Wow. Think black bears are distinctly different from state to state? Maybe in griz country, but otherwise no. Junior manscaper attitude.

I know 2 friends who woke up to black bears licking their lips. One for chapstick, the other for chili mac, but dont worry, neither were in colorado. Have fun sleeping out there.

JjamesIII

WKR
Not unless I am near a place where bears are habituated to associate camps with food. There is a place we hunt where we glasses up 19 bears in one day and we’ve never hung food and never had problems. It is miles from any car camping spots though.
For “safety reasons”, I’d like the lats/longs of that location so I don’t mistakenly camp there.

bsnedeker

WKR
Wow. Think black bears are distinctly different from state to state? Maybe in griz country, but otherwise no. Junior manscaper attitude.

I know 2 friends who woke up to black bears licking their lips. One for chapstick, the other for chili mac, but dont worry, neither were in colorado. Have fun sleeping out there.

In Colorado the black bears have all the good weed. They deliver it right to your tent in the middle of the night. Good dudes, those CO bears are! I mean, I would have appreciated some snacks to go with it but I'm not complaining!

It's so odd...once they step over the state border they immediately get aggressive and start attacking people. Never understood how they know where that border is.

Hoodie

WKR
Wow, this thread blew up. Thanks to everyone who had a response related to back country hunting in COLORADO. It sounds like Black Bears mostly want your food - not your flesh. Now I'm interested if the seasoned COLORADO hunters on this thread carry a pistol or bear spray when hunting COLORADO.

Maybe while you wait for COLORADO hunters to respond you can explain to us why you think black bears in Colorado are more or less of a problem than they are in Wyoming.

gbflyer

WKR
Black bear in COLORADO are generally shy. Until they are not. In COLORADO I don’t worry about them but I also know what they are capable of. In ALASKA where I live, I’ve never had to shoot one. We have a lot of them in ALASKA.

Hoodie

WKR
In Colorado the black bears have all the good weed. They deliver it right to your tent in the middle of the night. Good dudes, those CO bears are! I mean, I would have appreciated some snacks to go with it but I'm not complaining!

It's so odd...once they step over the state border they immediately get aggressive and start attacking people. Never understood how they know where that border is.

Something to do with the magnetic pull of iron deposits in the earth. It's like how birds migrate I think. They get to a certain latitude and they know it's time to get mean.

Afhunter1

WKR
I don’t hang my food anywhere. I do carry a pistol everywhere. You are prob at a less than zero chance of shooting a blackie in self defense but I’d say you could have a real chance at shooting a sheep herders dog. I hate them dang dogs. I also think a lion might be more aggressive than a blackie so I’d worry about one of them more. I also don’t trust people I meet in the woods that aren’t hunting or a cowboy. Most all this does apply to the west in general.

fmyth

WKR
In over 30+ years of truck camping and elk hunting never had a bear issue. Don’t hang food, don’t do anything out of the normal day to day. I’ve even had my base camp up for an entire month with no issues.

Campgrounds will have the most bear encounters as they know they can get easy treats from the hippie campers left out overnight

Go hunt. Have fun. Bears are way down on the worry list.
Gotta be careful leaving those hippie treats out. God only knows what would happen if a bear ate a tray of cannabis brownies.

Marble

WKR
The Colorado bears are just like any other bear. They run when they see you and eat opportunistically. There is nothing special about them. CO has a decent population of bears, but not like a few other states.

That's with 20 years of backcountry CO experience.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
Unless you figure out how they act in the county in COLORADO you will be hunting, you will never know for sure....

Traveler

WKR
I HAVEN’T CARRIED BEAR SPRAY OR PISTOL WHEN HUNTING OR CAMPING IN colorado. I HAVE HAD PLENTY OF ENCOUNTERS IN colorado AND OTHER STATES, JUST HAVEN’T HAD ANY THREATENING ENCOUNTERS. EVERY BLACK BEAR IN colorado AND ELSEWHERE HAS RUN THE OTHER WAY.

manitou1

WKR
No, but my wife does!
My problem is with chipmunks and pine squirrels. We have come back from fly fishing and those boogers have opened and eaten our potatoe chips and cookies on a few occasions.

rbljack

WKR
The hunts ive been on I havent worried about it. Ironically, it does enter my mind more on a solo hunt then when in a small group. That being said....Im more worried about the rodents getting into my food and chewing holes in my bag, boots, sleep system, etc.

On my last solo hunt, I was in my floorless shelter and had mice getting into my MH...so I did hang my food the second morning thru the fourth day... But still want access to my coffee in the AM at least

I have bear all around here in Utah and I never worry about them. One of the reasons is Bear hunt opens with elk so bears are being run by dogs, pursued by humans, and they really don't want anything to do with me. I have seen dozens on cameras right where I hunt/camp, but never in real life. Same with lions. When I hunt States with more agressive bears I carry my 10mm, but here in Utah only my 9mm or 45, cause they are lighter and more for humans than animals. :)

Titan_Bow

WKR

I’ve lived in Colorado going on 17 years and been hunting here every year. I don’t ever carry spray or a pistol here, there’s just no need really. I’m telling you man, just buy a bear tag when you come out. That way you will either never see a bear, or if you do, maybe you can get a shot.
I do have a 10mm that carry when I hunt griz country in Montana, but the Colorado mountains are pretty safe.
Not to sound like I’m bashing, because I grew up on the east coast. But man, guys come out here from states that have 6 or 7 DIFFERENT poisonous snakes, spiders, alligators, etc. and then worry about bears and Mountain lions when they get out here. Way more shit can probably kill your back east or especially in the southeast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk