Backcountry chair

bsnedeker

WKR
I don't know any hunters that carry a chair into serious mountains. A pad? Maybe...a chair...never. Ounces make pounds and pounds make pain. Don't do it!
That is a pretty silly statement. Not everyone is a weight weenie like most of the YouTube hunters I've seen.

I carry a chair into "serious mountains" (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean) regularly. If I'm going to be glassing a bunch I want to make that experience as comfortable as possible and a chair helps a ton. It's a necessity for spring bear and late season hunts. It's very much worth the 1 pound. I also carry it on scouting trips in the summertime.

The only time I don't carry it is on run and gun hunts in September because I'm not sitting much.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don't know any hunters that carry a chair into serious mountains. A pad? Maybe...a chair...never. Ounces make pounds and pounds make pain. Don't do it!
Lol. You gotta hunt out west. I dont know a guy that doesnt pack a chair. This ass has taken a pounding over the years lol. Try one, the helinox is less than a pound more than your pad and 100× more comfortable. You will be able to prolong your glassing sessions. There are times that I glass for 4-6 hours from one vantage point.

Not only back packing... thee are perfect for my fly-in and rafting trips that I do on a pretty regular basis. Also it doesn't seem to bother my packgoats that they are packing a seat for my fat ass... :)

Dwinsall

FNG
Thinking about possibly adding a UL chair for a bit of comfort on the mountain! I know about the helinox but what else is out there? Is it worth it’s weight in gold? Thanks!
I've used both the REI and the Helinox and due to the seat and leg angle the REI wins hands down.. Other than that they are about the same other than price and REI wins there as well..

Mackdog

FNG
To those that carry a chair do you carry a z seat also? or just choose one based on the hunt?

bsnedeker

WKR
To those that carry a chair do you carry a z seat also? or just choose one based on the hunt?
When it's cold i carry both. The extra insulation is very nice in cold days.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rockchuck

WKR
I have been looking for a lightweight camp chair that would fit the bill for camp where I use my raft or goats. The Helinox style doesn't stand up to my 6-5, 280 frame. Anyone have any recomendations? I was looking at the Big Agnes. https://www.bigagnes.com/Big-Six-Camp-Chair?quantity=1&custcol8=188 but dam its spendy...

I went with the big 6 after destroying a few plastic hub versions at 6-1 and 275 lbs. It is very durable with the all metal hubs and i have used it a lot for the last year. I think you will really like it, but you do pay for the quality. I used my yearly rei 20% off to knock the cost down a bit. I would buy it again! I still use a pad in some instances when i am going a long ways without my pack stock and dont want the weight. It will be on my back this weekend though for cow hunting after fresh snow that is on the way. Pads just can't compete for comfort for long sits.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have been looking for a lightweight camp chair that would fit the bill for camp where I use my raft or goats. The Helinox style doesn't stand up to my 6-5, 280 frame. Anyone have any recomendations? I was looking at the Big Agnes. https://www.bigagnes.com/Big-Six-Camp-Chair?quantity=1&custcol8=188 but dam its spendy...
I’ll echo what was said above. The Big Agnes is a durable chair that still comes in relatively light at just over 1.5 lbs. I’ve used their skyline UL chair hard for the last 2 years. Still works great and the seating angle is much better than the helinox and some others I tried. Agnes is going out with me this weekend.

14E260C8-A88D-47BE-A2ED-4931BDB22DD4.jpeg

JasonP

FNG
Say that after you have titanium rods and screws in your spine.

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll echo what was said above. The Big Agnes is a durable chair that still comes in relatively light at just over 1.5 lbs. I’ve used their skyline UL chair hard for the last 2 years. Still works great and the seating angle is much better than the helinox and some others I tried. Agnes is going out with me this weekend.

View attachment 354328

So following the link it shows the chair weighs almost 3.5 lbs - not 1.5lbs +.......I like everything about it except that weight......

D S 319

WKR
Used only part of a z pad for awhile, back was always hurting. Bought a crazy creek chair which is basically the same thing but with a back and has been a game changer. I imagine it would be nice to get off the ground once in awhile, but this will pretty well form to whatever you are sitting on quite well.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
You can think about comfort in a number of ways. Lugging a heavy pack is the opposite of comfort overall. I started to get more comfortable overall when I went as light as safety and efficiency allows and left every gadget that weighs more than an ounce or two at home. I take a multi use kuiu sit pad and prop my bag up on something to act as a back rest... At 61 years old that has been very good and it's also how Fletcher (The Complete Walker) rolled. Getting my overall weight under 50 pounds (all in) for an 8 day trip is worth every sacrifice.

I have one of those Helinox chairs (2 lbs 0.2 oz in the bag). It’s ok for glassing from the truck and would be awesome for the backcountry if I could only afford a Sherpa to haul it for me. I’d happily part with it for 1/2 of what I paid. There are better chairs for glassing from the truck.

bsnedeker

WKR
I have one of those Helinox chairs (2 lbs 0.2 oz in the bag). It’s ok for glassing from the truck and would be awesome for the backcountry if I could only afford a Sherpa to haul it for me. I’d happily part with it for 1/2 of what I paid. There are better chairs for glassing from the truck.
The helinox chair zero is half that weight for what is worth...sounds like you have the heavier version (chair 1?). It's great for packing and it's pretty comfortable but yeah, I use a nice big folding chair when I'm at the truck or camp.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk