Backcountry clothing video

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Luke. Hey I just finished reading your tripod review. Do you think that spotter would be adequate for me being 5'11"? I run a 65mm Swaro ATS. I don't like to hunch when I'm standing, so I may have to go to a taller version?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Well in that pic of me standing you get an idea. I'm 5'9 and had about another inch or so left on the center column to raise up if needed. If you think you need more height the MAXi L model would be the ticket for you easily.

shanevg

WKR
Hey Les,

Loved the video - you obviously have a high affinity for Sitka! :)

One thing I was surprised not to see was a good down jacket? Do you ever carry a down jacket with you? I always like to carry a down jacket. It doubles as a great pillow, helps keep you warm in the crisp mornings and even lowers the temperature rating on your bag if need be in the really cold nights.

What do you think?

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Shane.

In honesty I really do like my Sitka gear. Its comfortable, form fitting, durable, layerable, and very functional.

To answer your question, I do have the Kelvin jacket. It is VERY warm. I have yet to find a time when I need something like that for my September archery hunts. Now when you start gettting into rifle hunts, it becomes a different story! I have used it for October rifle elk and muley hunts, especially if I am going to be sitting and glassing for extended periods of time. I also use at home here in Wisconsin for treestand hunting. Its warmth to weight ration is great. It weighs in at only 23oz. I generally hunt the heavy timber for elk. Once I am up in the morning I am on my way. I don't do much glassing. I am typically moving so the system I described in the video works perfect for me. If you have a little more of the sit and glass, or find yourself a little cooler than you would like I would defintely look into that type of jacket. It would be easy to fit in and maybe take place of something else, or just throw it in the mix with the other stuff as it less than a pound and a half.......I have yet to find anything that makes a good pillow and that would be great! Currently I use a game bag stuffed with other clothes.

craitchky

Lil-Rokslider
Great videos!
I see you use the HECS, have you noticed a difference in the way elk or deer behave when they are closer to you? I know that there have been times while in stand whitetail hunting that the wind was perfect, and I was not moving, but they just seem to know that you are there. I would really like am opinion from someone who has used it.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great videos!
I see you use the HECS, have you noticed a difference in the way elk or deer behave when they are closer to you? I know that there have been times while in stand whitetail hunting that the wind was perfect, and I was not moving, but they just seem to know that you are there. I would really like am opinion from someone who has used it.

Will it suffice to say I wear it on EVERY hunt? :)

LES!!!

GREAT SERIES!!! Sitka has a TON of pieces to pick and choose from for your layers and I do like the versatility of it and anyone who hasn't given the OC Optifade a TRUE run they are missing out. That pattern flat WORKS from hunting turkeys in Florida to mule deer on the plains or in the high country to elk, big horn, goats you name it! Would be curious to see something about your layering system for your whitetail stand!!!!