Backcountry Cooler Advice Request

Hey guys,

We’re heading out on our first drop camp this fall and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on cooler setups that are feasible to be transported via horseback. We have the biggest Yeti (35 qt) that will fit in the panniers and are wondering what the longest lasting setup between dry ice / ice packs / normal ice would be, if anyone has any experience. Coolers would be for dinner meals only, basically meat, everything else would be dehrydated. Cooler shouldn’t need to be utilized for game at all.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Where are you going, and for how long? We just wrap frozen food in newspaper and pack tightly together in cheap smaller soft side coolers. If the temps drop down to freezing at night the food will stay more or less frozen for a damn long time. Even if it's only getting cool at night if you keep it in the shade it will slowly thaw over several days. I'd skip the Yeti - too much weight for too little space for most packing I've done.

I've had great luck with the gray and blue coolers from Walmart. I think they are called champion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
M
8 days in mid-September. If it’s cool we should be fine, but if not just trying to have the best plan so the food doesn’t go bad.

Beendare

WKR
We pack in those Igloo and Coleman insulated stay cold coolers- or whatever they call them [About $30] and they hold ice for 7 days no problem if you don't leave them in the sun and aren't opening the lid non stop. We are typically at pretty high elevation so that helps too. If you are in direct sun in the lowland summer temps....they don't work nearly as good as the expensive premium coolers.

We use the size that fit soft panniers about 55 qt.

*zap*

WKR
yeti is on the no go list....whatever cooler you use if you tape some refletix to the top stuff will stay cold longer.

Wolfey

FNG
Ozark trail at Wal-Mart makes a good cooler. It's kinda like a yeti knockoff.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I have a small Yeti beverage cooler, but also a 36 quart Coleman Xtreme 5 that I think performs really well, comparable to my parents' big Yeti cooler when using ice (can't speak for dry ice), and much lighter and cheaper, plus it holds more. We tested them both during a hurricane this fall and my parents were disappointed that their super-pricey cooler didn't perform any better than my much cheaper one.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I just use dehydrated food and don't worry about the hassle of a cooler. I'd think a soft side would be way easier to handle and pack

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Grizz

FNG
Try the ozark trail soft cooler at walmart. I filled one with frozen deer meat and flew it home, stayed frozen for about two days and only cost $50. Easy to pack and haul around.

Zerowind

FNG
It's more important to focus on the insulation of the cooler than the brand. You can buy those cheap Colemans and pad the lining with a couple sheets of foam. Will work better than the most expensive Yeti.