Backcountry diy

I’m 44 and went to Colorado for my first solo backcountry mule deer hunt in September. I used the often suggested “search” function on this site and others for two years before I went. I learned a lot on the internet, but in retrospect I spent too much time picking the brains of others. In the 6 days I spent in the woods, I learned more about myself, my equipment, my preferred hunting style, and my physical capabilities than I could’ve imagined. Others have said it before but I will say it again. Pick a state you want to explore and can get a tag, then just go. It really is that simple. Although it’s fun to research and buy gear, don’t over think it. We are not getting any younger and it will only get harder. Good luck and have fun.

I know I am coming in late on this, but ditto what Texowa said. I tried combing as much as prior to my trip to the Bitterroot region this past fall. Did not fill a tag but it wasn't because I did not try or there were not opportunities. One thing I will say is, if you go to that region or any region with rough country be in shape.. For my DIY in that region I started training six months out, this made the difference on the trip. I think that is too often overlooked IMO. Everyone gets hyperfixated on looking cool. If it wasn't for the warnings on this forum from guys stating how tough the country was, I would have given up like the rest. Being able to cover more ground allowed me to see a lot more. I am planning on returning in '23, but that country is tough and hard to hunt.

Another suggestion pick one state and go, pick another to build points on and hit every 3 or four years. Maybe the same state with draw tags or a different state same region.

EdP

WKR
Spend a LOT of time on the state fish and game sites. Buy preference points starting this year. Buy points in multiple states because once you go you will want to go again. If you can afford it (4-5K), go with an outfitter the 1st time. It will cut years off your learning curve. My western hunts have been in Wy primarily. Their G&F site has pretty much everything you need to know, but you have to search for it a bit. Hunt areas with better public access take more points to draw. Hunt areas with very little public land are easier to draw. Outfitters often have access to the private land in those areas (via leases). It is part of what you are paying for so if you want to go soon, open your wallet.

Hey all! I have never been out west but I want to spot and stalk a Muley with a rifle. I am looking for any buck to hunt not a monster. Any muley I take would be a trophy. I’m looking for the adventure. I want a glass over canyons and across valleys and mountains and chase a muley. I have no clue about how to start with units and pp or even what state. I am 41 and my sense of adventure has gotten the better of me. I want more than just an east of the Mississippi sit and wait on a whitetail type of hunt. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

There's lots of mule deer game management units in Arizona that offer exactly what you're looking for in terms of backcountry experience and reasonable chance of killing a good representation of a mule deer buck, and that you can draw in less than 3 years as a nonresident. In fact, there's good chance you could draw the very first year you apply for a tag.

There's lots of mule deer game management units in Arizona that offer exactly what you're looking for in terms of backcountry experience and reasonable chance of killing a good representation of a mule deer buck, and that you can draw in less than 3 years as a nonresident. In fact, there's good chance you could draw the very first year you apply for a tag.
Second that. Also, these conditions are certainly dynamic state to state. What once was east for non-red changes, points change, zones change - which they should based on success rate, climate change, heard numbers.