Backcountry Dry Feet

Cschlimm

FNG
Looking for any hot tips for keeping feet dry in the backcountry. Maybe I'm running the wrong boots or socks or maybe I just don't know the tricks. The last 2 years I've wore Danner Pronghorns and usually wear Darn Tough or Farm and Fleet merino socks. Two years ago was the worse on a backcountry Mule deer hunt we got rain, sleet, snow almost every day. My boots had some water proofing on them and I wore gators but by a few days in I was wet and no drying out. Last year same boots was in CO and it was dry but by end of week boots were still wet from sweat. Prolly opening a can of worms here but in the market for boots this fall and hopefully can keep my feet dry through some longer trips. Thanks

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There's only so much you can do. Poly liner socks under merino boot socks, waterproofing (but that doesn't waterproof just one way ;)), gaiters, and if you want to carry them in with you.....an extra pair of boots to allow your others to dry some. I do that at truck camp all the time, just to let the sweat dry out some.

WRM

WKR
Try a thin polypro liner sock (swiftwick) under your wool. It will help wick perspiration moisture out of the boot. Wool is not very good at shedding water once it's wet. KUIU makes some socks designed to accomplish this (a blend), but I've never used them. If you have super sweaty feet, try some Code Blue anti perspirant on them and foot powder.

Once the boot is thoroughly soaked, it's tough. Stuff them with some dry extra light layers (if you have them) to help wick water out. Sleep with them in your bag, but be prepared for dampness in there. Hope they don't freeze overnight.

Waterproof boots are only waterproof until they're not. Usually about the time the get exposed to some water.

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I swap dry socks at lunch and dinner and it has really helped me reduce blisters and sweaty feet.

1Arrow

FNG
Looking for any hot tips for keeping feet dry in the backcountry. Maybe I'm running the wrong boots or socks or maybe I just don't know the tricks. The last 2 years I've wore Danner Pronghorns and usually wear Darn Tough or Farm and Fleet merino socks. Two years ago was the worse on a backcountry Mule deer hunt we got rain, sleet, snow almost every day. My boots had some water proofing on them and I wore gators but by a few days in I was wet and no drying out. Last year same boots was in CO and it was dry but by end of week boots were still wet from sweat. Prolly opening a can of worms here but in the market for boots this fall and hopefully can keep my feet dry through some longer trips. Thanks
Thanks for posting this up! I was also going to drop a thread about this exact siutation. In for the follow as I have been looking for the right combination. My application is mostly midwest whitetail bowhunting, but my boots and socks are always soaked. They were better last year with less insulated boots and a thin pair of darn tough socks, but it was not where I wanted it to be. I'll be looking for more of a synthetic sock to dry faster with less merino in them. I can always put boot blankets on in my stand to help insulate my boot from outside conditions.

WRM

WKR
On Whitetail hunting, I've had occasions on a long bike n hike into a stand that I wear an uninsulated shoe (even tennis shoe style) to the stand and put my boots on when I get there.

OP
Cschlimm

Cschlimm

FNG
Your doctor could prescribe drysol it helps reduce perspiration.
Hey thanks might have to look into this because my feet normally dont get cold until they get sweaty and i have tried just putting deodorant on them in the past.

You could get the grakksaw backcountry boot dryers. I love mine. Other than that there isnt a ton you can do besides stopping to air your feet out and changing socks more frequently

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
Try some gore tex socks.....I use sealskinz.
Seconded. I use Sealskinz for hunting in wet tundra, slush, and snow because my right Lowa Tibet boot leaks (defective Goretex liner). With the Sealskins, my feet are very dry at the end of the day even when my right boot has soaked through, or I've over-topped the boot with water. The socks are also super comfortable and fairly warm. I've put a good 60 miles on a single pair and they show no unexpected wear- a good value for $30. The downside is that goretex socks are very difficult to dry while camping in wet conditions without a stove., so I bring a second pair for backup.

I wear a very thin smartwool liner sock under the Sealskins.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I just started wearing leather boots with no lining. They seem to dry faster if they get soaked. And they breathe way better. My boots are heavy, but they fit so good, and seem to give me enough support, I don’t even notice the weight.

muddydogs

WKR
Hand warmers placed inside the boots at night sure help with some drying, the small warmers do alright but the next bigger size work even better. Probably not practical to pack in enough hand warmers for every night but it would be worth the weight to pack in enough to help dry your boots every second or third night.

There aren't any tricks to keeping your boots dry besides running a good leather boot that's well oiled. Your feet are going to sweat, some more then others. Properly oiled leather boots don't breath, if they breathed they would leak water, and once leather is wet it takes time to dry. After wearing the same boot for a day or two without any warmth to help dry it out it's doing to be wet inside.

My feet sweat and by the end of a normal day even if I'm just setting in the office my socks are damp. I've tried most of the snake oil treatments out there before I wised up and figured out that there is no stopping sweaty feet. Wearing a good boot and a good sock is the only thing one can do. I figure that guys that swear by this or that dry foot method are guys that don't have sweaty feet to begin with.