Backcountry e bike Mule looking for input

klejeski

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for any input from those that have used one
Your thoughts. Well built.? Would you buy again or go a different route?

I am considering purchasing one
Thanks in advance

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
$4000

I’m building one right now. same 1000 watt power, capable of about 40 miles under half throttle.

I will have under $500 into it.

But hey, mine won’t be Kuiu camo pattern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$4000

I’m building one right now. same 1000 watt power, capable of about 40 miles under half throttle.

I will have under $500 into it.

But hey, mine won’t be Kuiu camo pattern

When you get that project finished, would you consider posting info/photos on how it was done? I think there's a lot of guys that would love to have one but the price point is a major issue lol

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

OP
K

klejeski

Lil-Rokslider
If i were a bike junky and new how to build one i would. bu I'm not and then would be throwing away that time and money there are way more ebikes out there than i ever imagined. And yes at 4500$ a major decision. There are several that are even a few thousand more. Would love to do one for 500$ but even a good spare battery costs more than that that is why I'm asking for input from those that have made the investments and been happy or disappointed

CorbLand

WKR
My personal opinion on ebikes is. You cant take them anywhere you cant take a dirt bike, at least around here. You can find a dirt bike for under 2 grand. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
My personal opinion on ebikes is. You cant take them anywhere you cant take a dirt bike, at least around here. You can find a dirt bike for under 2 grand. Seems like a no brainer to me.

The purpose of the ebikes are going in quiet without letting all the critters for miles know your there isnt it?

The purpose of the ebikes are going in quiet without letting all the critters for miles know your there isnt it?
Yea, that's definitely the point in the areas I've used them at least. Crusing for bears on old logging roads and old 2 tracks in the badlands for mulies.

OP
K

klejeski

Lil-Rokslider
Jake. Sounds like you have some experience. What bike ir bikes have you used. Likes or dislike

Jake. Sounds like you have some experience. What bike ir bikes have you used. Likes or dislike
I've used one of the backcountry bikes models. Not sure which one exactly, borrowed from a buddy. If you're wanting to cover lots of country quietly and with minimal effort, they are pretty sweet. Definitely a specialty sort of thing, at least where i hunt. I spend most of my hunting time in wilderness areas, so obviously they aren't applicable in those instances. I have used them on logging roads and old 2 tracks.

In an area with good trails, a good mountain biker could probably do some damage with one, even if just for packing meat out the last few miles or whatever.

wesfromky

WKR
I drove a few at ATA this year and they were nice. One of the guys I hunt with bought a quiet kat, and I rode it a couple times - pretty sweet. As was mentioned, there are places you cannot take them, but if the areas you hunt are allowed, they are pretty sweet. Very quiet - he will use his one a private area to be stealthy, as he also has a nice UTV.

I have a decent Trek MTB that I have looked at converting, but think I would probably just get a dedicated ebike, probably a Trek, for the higher end components and better service options should I need work, as I am not all the mechanically inclined.

A few years back I bought a Norco Sasquatch Fatbike specifically to access a road closure grizzly hunt. A week later the same bike with an electric motor showed up at the dealer. I demoed it and really liked it. The pedal assist really lets you move! I stayed with my regular bike though as "exercise" was a big part of the purchase! The fat tires work very well off road. As a side note I didnt get a grizz on that trip. Sure was fun bikin with a 60lb pack on!

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I will make a little build thread for mine. Using brushless motor, it will be almost dead quiet, so thats one very big advantage vs a motorcycle.

The batteries are expensive, but there’s a kid I work with that is an electronics junky that’s building my battery packs for me. That way they come out to about $50 for each battery pack, vs. $3-400 for the equivalent.

Kotaman

WKR
I rode a Back Country Mule on a week long Black Bear hunt in BC in May. The Mule is SOLID. We had some battery issues that the company said was a bad batch of batteries, but other than that, those things are a blast. I have nothing to compare the Mule to other than regular Mountain Bikes, but this thing seemed like the real deal. The reason to buy one over a dirt bike is stated above. The ebikes are SILENT, a dirt bike is not.

I built one this spring for hunting private land here in WV to replace using an ATV all the time. I used a Framed Minnesota 1.0 as the base bike and added the Bafang BBSHD and 52v Wolf battery pack and three speed internal gear hub with Maxxis fat tires. I have about $2400 total in the bike. It is a BEAST and a ton of fun. Makes almost no noise and I can cover a few miles quickly. Obviously can’t use it everywhere but it’s a nice option. My family loves to take turns riding it so it gets used a lot around here lol. Was worth the money to me
b8216bb7316147621f620b3970614b77.jpg

Extremely well built. I have Mule with 1000watt motor. Better price point than any other out there due to accessories you get with it and it has the ultra middi motor which has torque sensors. The 1000watt makes it a class 3 legal trails only no bicycle trails but that is not what I got it for. With the solar panel I stay back for extended hunts and use it all I want. Got second battery for $99 when flash sale was on facebook. No way you would be able to build this for $500

My batteties alone are $115 apiece. The charger (which is way better than needed) was $225. Bafang was like $400ish on ebay.
That excludes making a battery box and hardware.
$500? That's impressive if true and actually a solid bike.
Well done!

I have an older hunting buddy who was in the hospital a year ago recovering from emergency triple bypass surgery. He still contends that smoking for 50 years has not been proven to cause his ailments.....but I digress. After months of recovery, he started looking into ebikes because his endurance has not come back with shot lungs. He invested months researching them online and visiting dealerships to test them out. Rambo had a clearance on their 2018 models for around $1500 early this summer and that is what he ended up buying. I've test ridden it a couple times and it is "unique", but not something I am considering at my stage in life. If I was hunting huge tracts of western ground as some of you do......and it was legal to use an ebike.....I would certainly consider it over a quad or side-by-side. They are virtually silent, scent free as far as no gas or exhaust fumes.....plus you can get a cart that can haul gear in and game out.