Backcountry Etiquette

Rob5589

WKR
Depends. I wouldn't get bent out of shape if someone camped near me due to logistics; water, flat area, safety, etc. As far as hunting, I like to approach others and let them know where I will be and ask where they are going. Much better than bumping into one another while hunting. Picking up your trash is a given.

Carr5vols

WKR
If they camp on top of you and don't know your there, wait until night time and beat a tree with a big pole and throw a few large rocks they will be gone next day...😆 seriously though last year we were a legit 9 miles from truck and set up camp had no idea a guy had a camp across a river, talked to him and we were hunting different species gave each other intel and offered each other help if either needed it. "Most" people willing to go that deep are pretty respectable from what I have seen. Always carry out your trash, i even carry out other trash i find, espically the trash elf and deer loose off there head.

JohnnyB

WKR
Whenever I’m deep in the backcountry, the kind of deep that makes you think no one has been there for two hundred years, I have to remind myself of the backcountry etiquette code of leaving things as pristine as possible. I pack out what I can with one exception- the pull tab Coors can has become the arrow head of tomorrow. I have found the ubiquitous cans in every corner of every wilderness area I have hiked in several states. I suspect that this was the way early 1970’s mountain men used these as a way to mark territory.

Archeologists in the future will one day describe our social order based on this phenomena. Someday they will write tales of the lowly class that drank Hamm’s (the beer refreshing). Others will study the psyche of a man willing to carry an Old Milwaukee a dozen miles when horse piss was readily available.

I generally agree with most of you but sometimes there’s only one logical camping spot in a large area. Some here are a bit too territorial I think but I hate coming across people in the field so I understand and plan to escape people as best as I can. That said, other hunters in the field can be great to talk to and rarely have interfered with stalks or spoked animals.

Reactions: WCB

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I have ran into this situation and usually discuss it with the other hunter(s)...Have actually ended up camping and hunting with some them or at least coordinating routes and game plans and so far it has worked out great. To just pop up a tent next to someone and not say anything and then follow them is B.S. IMO.

First thing first don't give them any information on your scouting report or anything you have seen. It may not be your style but a lot of guys don't care and will bounce you out of a spot no questions asked. I have also done the bait and switch. I noticed a couple guys that would walk in on where guys were hunting or myself. This happened for about a week. Then I had a conversation and mentioned I saw a couple nice bucks in xyz drainage and I was planning on hunting there the next day. Sure shit drove by the next morning and who do you think was there....funny thing I had hunted two days prior and saw zero sign. Everyone else would avoid other guys like the plague and the only group I would consistently see by other camps or vehicles was this one group.

Last year, we had a group walk up on us in a meadow we were hunting one evening. Not the biggest deal but we walked over and talked to them. Said we would be hunting that meadow at daylight next day. Not only did they return to the meadow (we'd been in that area a few days) but came in on horses right to the edge of the meadow about 10 minutes before shooting light. We had been glassing the herd in figuring out the wind and best ambush when they rode up. Blew the herd out with a near stampede and we never saw another elk. I doubt they ever knew the elk were in the meadow.

backcountry no different than front country, treat people with respect. you both walked in a ways.. chat. find out what works for everyone. shit you never know when you may need some help in the back country, its good to make friends up front in case you need some help. and actually you are both better off if you camp somewhat close that way you are not dispersing critters from a wider area as the result of the camp.

Marble

WKR
If I have horses I am kind of forced to stay in certain spots. I will do my absolute best to not crowd someone but it's happened. I always go chat with them and then go in search of another spot the next morning.

Backpacking is much easier. Anytime I run into someone in one of the spots I normally go, I know of others I can hunt. I just let them know whats going and ask what their plans are.

Depending on who they are I will let them know where I plan on camping, hunting and when we will leave. There has been a few times I have even shared a radio channel with them. It's worked out great before and really bad other times.

I personally don’t hike 4-6 miles from the truck to camp/hunt with, and around other people. The hunting may not be any better than right next to where my truck isn’t parked, but I really enjoy being out in the mountains just focusing on trying to outsmart what ever species I am trying to hunt. I don’t want to Ben worries about where this group is or that camp is hunting.

If I got to where I wanted to camp late in the afternoon and someone was there I may camp
Somewhere in that vicinity. I would try to camp somewhere far enuff away that it wouldn’t disturb/bother them, and move on to my next area the next morning.

My goal would be to simply move on and not interrupt their hunt. I don’t recall ever having to do this more than a couple times before finding solitude, and less pressured animals.

If I run into people while out hunting i will always try to chit chat a little bit. Most people I run into a long ways from the roads are typically pretty nice. I try to not give any specifics on where I have been or plan to go, and am pretty tight lipped about what I have seen. That way their plans can be based of what they are seeing not me. Mostly just wish them luck and maybe discuss how long I plan to be in the area and check how long they were planning to be around. It’s nice to know I feel they are hiking back to the truck and heading homeboy the next day.

This type of etiquette has served me well. Most encounters end with smiles, handshakes, and both of us hoping the other fills their tag!

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, you guys are harsh! To me, a person is following etiquette if their first step in this process is to simply communicate. You don't know anyone's intentions if you don't find out, and vice versa. You might find someone who is hunting a different species, scouting for a future season, or doesn't hunt like you do....none of which you would know without communicating.

My unwritten rules: if I were to see a hunter shoot an animal, I offer to help track, process, and pack. If a hunter were to cross my camp or me during meal time, I offer them one. If I run across anyone, a wave, smile, and conversation are the norm. I also always ask of they need anything; TP, water, etc.
I do the same. Except offer food. I always run out. When it comes to hunting mule deer above tree line, I'd almost prefer someone camp near me if they are up there. One less basin with campers is a good thing.

Last edited:

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
I'm of the "if they get there first, it's their spot" school of thought. I've had guys setup camp within 100 yards of me before and it pisses me off to no end. The mountains are big and there are elk all over. If you are too lazy to scout out multiple different potential camp locations you shouldn't be on the mountain.

At the end of the day it's public land and you can do what you want, but it's a dick move if you ask me.

If I'm out running around on the mountain and I run into another hunter I'm happy to have a conversation with them and discuss plans. If we have the same plan I pretty much always allow the other guy to have at it and I change my plans.
Unrelated but what makes for a good camp site? Never been on a backpack camp before.

Whenever I’m deep in the backcountry, the kind of deep that makes you think no one has been there for two hundred years, I have to remind myself of the backcountry etiquette code of leaving things as pristine as possible. I pack out what I can with one exception- the pull tab Coors can has become the arrow head of tomorrow. I have found the ubiquitous cans in every corner of every wilderness area I have hiked in several states. I suspect that this was the way early 1970’s mountain men used these as a way to mark territory.

Archeologists in the future will one day describe our social order based on this phenomena. Someday they will write tales of the lowly class that drank Hamm’s (the beer refreshing). Others will study the psyche of a man willing to carry an Old Milwaukee a dozen miles when horse piss was readily available.
A buddy of mine described how the removable havalon blade will be the arrow head of the future. Guys stab them into the soil straight down and erosion will leave them pristine in a vertical position for our ancestors to find. Not sure if he found the idea in an article or it came up during a bs session.

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Last year, I took a buddy into a drainage that I have been hunting for almost 40 years. Second week of September, archery elk. My usual parking spot was filled with two trucks with campers and trailers, a monster Cabela's Alaknak, 4 four-wheelers, and 6 people. No problem. I stopped and we talked, they let me know where they were going to be hunting the next day, and that they were leaving in two days. I told them we would be camped down the hill from them about 1/2 mile, stealth camping in a no-seeum hole, and that we wouldn't cross their camp or step on their toes in the field. I was sure we would be at least two miles from where they said they were headed. I showed them as much on a map...my mistake.

Come morning, my buddy and I hiked in the dark to my honeyhole. We gave their camp a wide berth. By first light, we were calling...and never saw or heard the other hunters. Late morning, we pulled a couple of shooter bulls out of a small, lodgepole island and they both moved steadily up hill a quarter mile to our cow calls. They stopped at about the 65 yard range, and my buddy moved to get into a better position for a shot. Everything was perfect...until a big, black drone came buzzing in and hovered above us, and then over the elk. Kiss that stalk off. The drone buzzed off, but five minutes later...there it was again...as if it was hunting with us. Of course, it was. It looked menacing when we looked at the pics we got on our iphones.

To make a long story short...I'M DONE WITH HUNTER ETIQUETTE. Too many guys take advantage of your good nature. My MO now is beat them to the spot, camp on the hill if I have to. Be friendly, but don't step on my toes and I won't step on yours.

My buddy and I took photos of the camp perched on the hill, license plate numbers, and actually got those A-holes to demonstrate those sweet looking drones for us. Gave it all to Fish & Game.

it can be tough out there. I second not giving out info on game seen, spot you will be, etc. people can be a*holes and it will ruin my mood. I try to get away from people just bc i get frustrated ... I am usually solo but i don't really want/need anyone's help out there. it goes without saying that all help should be extended in any emergency situation, but other than that i would rather be alone.

had a bowhunter (i was MZ hunting) feed me a line of BS about where he would be, i told him where i would be (thinking we were communicating to stay out of each other's way) ... guess where he hunted through everyday? right through "my" spot.. he actively lied about seeing a big buck "over there" and did not tell me he also had a buck tag. he said he had a bull tag, so i thought he told me about the buck cuz he didn't have deer tag. wrong, he was just lying.

be nice if you want, you will find it will bite you on your own backside more often than not. i would say i am usually just short of "nice" , more like tight- lipped .

Wassid82

WKR
It’s extremely rare that I see people further,earlier in the morning, or later at night coming back than me or our group. One person in our hunting group will talk to anyone even give them tips on where we have seen game or sign. Once another hunting buddy asked why do you do that. He responded..... who the hell is willing to work that hard to chase what we don’t want? I thought it was a good point. Good karma goes a long ways. In the back country you have to work hard and play your hand almost perfectly, then hope for a dash of luck just to be successful. hat doesn’t mean you have to hold hands with people but you get the point. I’m especially interested in helping people that hike /camp as far back as we do. Every once in a while I see some one with a kid. In those cases we as a group have tried to help them be successful and pack things out. If you even get a mile or 2 off the beaten path you’ll find tons of area to move towards.
in the unlikely event that someone beats me to my desired spot I just push a bit further. It’s a good way to explore more country and I never get mad at people. I have confidence in my hunting skills....check the harvest rates.....those would tell you you shouldn’t be worried about most other people shooting “your animal”

Wow, you guys are harsh! To me, a person is following etiquette if their first step in this process is to simply communicate. You don't know anyone's intentions if you don't find out, and vice versa. You might find someone who is hunting a different species, scouting for a future season, or doesn't hunt like you do....none of which you would know without communicating.

My unwritten rules: if I were to see a hunter shoot an animal, I offer to help track, process, and pack. If a hunter were to cross my camp or me during meal time, I offer them one. If I run across anyone, a wave, smile, and conversation are the norm. I also always ask of they need anything; TP, water, etc.

I know this is an old post but just stumbled on it and have to say I really like this approach. Never thought about helping a stranger pack out (never really needed to) but from now on it will definitely be on my mind and builds up some good karma

dtrkyman

WKR
A quick conversation goes a long way, you can usually tell pretty quick if you are welcome or not.

Fowl Play

WKR
Depends on the situation. If there’s only one logical place to hunt from a camp site. Whoever gets there first. If there’s multiple drainages and only one decent spot to camp to not spook game out of any one area. I talk with people. I have actually told people to camp next to me as the place they were planning on camping would have blown out an area.

Did a search and I didn't see much. Heading to Idaho from WI for my first unguided/backpack mule deer hunt. Understand that every situation has variables and that there are obvious things that anyone with half a brain should do (like helping if you come across an injured hunter, clean up trash... that kind of stuff), but looking for some thoughts from experienced guys on any backcountry etiquette/unwritten rules. Example would be something like setting up camp in proximity to another hunter. Easiest to walk up to them and see what they're all about? If they beat me there and have an issue then I just go to plan B, if not work something out on who's hunting where?
Nothing frustrates me more than getting to spot " not a trailhead" and getting gear squared to hike in, and another vehicle roles up parks 30 yards away and has a fire drill to beat you away from the road. Or hiking in an hour before daylight and getting to a glassing point or stand and having a guy walk up 5 min after legal light and say sorry didn't realize anybody else was here when your clearly in the open dressed in blaze Orange and just spotted a group of elk then has the brass to ask if they can hunt the other side of the area you are obviously glassing. Or they see you and go around you right through where your glassing spooking every live animal within 5 miles.