Backcountry fly fishing gear?

Well I know we don't have any fishing forum, but I figured some here could help!

My brother is a die hard high country fly fisherman. He's got a good rod n reel but I've noticed he doesn't have anything for gear other than a few pouches for his flies and some fingernail clippers.

I'd really like to make him a p-chord lanyard to hold some nippers, leader roles, and a fly hook holder for tying new flies on. I do a little fly fishing myself but am still an novice.

Anybody have any suggestions for other fly fishing accessories that would be great to add to the lanyard? Nothing too heavy as he usually goes as light as possible, but i imagine there are some handy little accessories out there I'm not aware of that he'd really enjoy!

Thanks for the help!

Mike

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
William Joseph and Simms offer excellent chest packs. Everything is well organized and at the ready with a chest pack. I have been using a WJ for the past 10 years, and it comes with me into the high country when fishing is on the table.

OP
HellsCanyon
what about some fly floatant for dry flies?

Got a good recommendation? Also anybody know of a little floatant caddy to carry it?

Matt,
I like the look of the Simms packs, only thing I like better about the lanyard is it would be made by myself and I think he'd prefer it that way, especially keeping the weight down... Something like this is about what I had in mind!
http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92762

Mike

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Mike,

I have a lanyard that I love for float fishing, but a chest pack goes in a backpacking backpack so nice I prefer it for that use. It also holds all of your flies, leaders, splitshot in one place, as well as everything that would typically be on a lanyard. With a lanyard, you have to put that other stuff somewhere else, which is fine too.

I do think a lanyard makes an awesome custom gift, though!

Curtis C

WKR
Heres a pic of a lanyard I made. I posted it to show the tippet spool holder(gotta have tippet). Good forceps are sure handy, I like the ones with the scissors for cut jobs.

Lanyard (Small).jpg

The only items I saw on you list missing on your lanyard that I have on mine are, a small measuring tape, hook sharpener, forceps, fly floatant, tippet spool holder already mentioned above. Most anything else, extra leaders, flies, split shot, strike indicators, etc... goes in my chest pack that's built into my waders.

Great stuff thanks guys... here's two more things I'm looking at adding to the 'kit'. I've used the fly-holder before and really found it useful especially for the really tiny flies!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ty-R...=fly+fishing&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Dr-S...=fly+fishing&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

Mike

I have both and they work well. The Ty-Rite Fish Hook Holder took a bit to get used to but it works well to hold the fly and spin to get the wraps done quick for the knot.

Mckinnon

WKR
I always have a pair of hemostats on my lanyard, along with a hook sharpener. A hook never goes into the water without being sharpened for me. All the other stuff above is great!

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Not for the lanyard but a Cliff Days Worth is a great inexpensive, small backcountry fly box that fits nicely in a shirt pocket or pants pocket. You mentioned he uses pouches now. He might enjoy the fly box.

rpoutside

FNG
The top 2 things I would recommend when constructing a lanyard:

1 - for safety, make sure there is a breakaway in case he falls and the lanyard gets hung up on a branch or something else.

2 - a alligator clip at bottom of lanyard to clip to shirt. When you lean over, it stays close to your body instead of getting in the way.

OP
HellsCanyon
So here's what I got so far... not sure if the other items I ordered will be here in time or not but its a good start!
y2udyzev.jpg
nuzu5yzu.jpg

I think he'll really like it!

Mike

2ski

WKR
As far as flotant goes, I say go with Gink. I had some of the Loon powdered stuff, and didn't like it as well as the gink. My fly stays floating for a long time with Gink.

As far as packs go, I don't have any experience with them, but I really like the look of the Fishpond stuff.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I also like Gink.

I like to treat my flies and let it dry on before heading out.

The lanyard is looking great Mike!

A nail-knot tool would be good to have on there too.