Backcountry food

Alright boys, what do your go to backcountry meals/ food lists consist of? I’m needing some more ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
Chocolate fudge Perfect Peanut Butter bar! Other than that most of my food is pretty standard: pro bars, peanut butter squeeze packets, honey stingers. I also like a couple of theRX bars... dark chocolate, and the mint chocolate chip.

For hot meals, mountain house biscuits and gravy + breakfast skillet, next mile meals.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
God bless those that can stomach the pro bars. I would rather just not eat.

Instant potatoes are a good filler
Ramen (I like to add them to chicken and rice mh meals)
Coucous
Babybel cheese rounds (unless its hot)

jmez

WKR
Breakfast: instant oatmeal or cream of wheat, granola and dehydrated fruit added. Vacuum sealed at home. Starbucks via

Lunch: tortilla, foil packets of tuna fish or cooked chicken, bacon bits, gouldens mustard packet x 2. 1 apple

Supper: mountain house meal, king sized candy bar. Starbucks via

Snacks: 1 granola bar, 1 protein bar, small bag trail mix, package of peanut butter crackers. Eat two of the snacks in the am and two in the pm.

All food for day goes in 1 gallon ziplock bags. Just grab a bag every am. Trash stays in the ziplock.

This works for me. Honestly, food isn't a huge concern with me as long as I have enough. It is only 10-14 days, I don't need a lot of variety nor do I need a gourmet meal.

Bronc

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully my main meals consist elk. Well.......that being said, I pack in most of my food.
Breakfast- mountain house, granola with freeze dried fruit and powered milk, or snack bars.
Lunch- summer sausage, salami, peanut butter packs, jerky, or tuna packs
Supper- mountain house, ramen noodles, or leftover lunch stuff
Snacks- trail mix, nuts, candy, jerky, individually wrapped cheese.
Someone needs to figure out how to freeze dry beer!

Homemade jerky from the last kill. Been working on some moose jerky and Oryx jerky for the past couple months now.

16Bore

WKR
Probar with almond butter
Oatmeal
Hard cheese
Salami
Mountain house
Candy bars for the soul....
Dum Dums for the saliva

In a hurry for a hot meal, mix the oatmeal with coffee (instead of plain water) and peanut butter. Choke it down, chug some water and roll....

I used to be a Mountain House guy, but just can't do it anymore. I also really don't feel like eating and making a big dinner once I get back to / pitch camp for the night so this year I ate my bigger meal mid day.

My meals look like this:
Breakfast - Blueberry Cliff Bar (I can eat this on the hike in or while I am getting ready. 250 calories / 9 grams protein at 2.4 ounces)
Lunch - PB on tortilla with honey and bacon or OvoEasy eggs with Bacon or SPAM single or something I have dehydrated myself like chili.
Dinner - Salami, cheese stick, protein bar of some type

I also have various snacks of mini candy bars, protein / granola bars, dried fruit throughout the day.

I am very tempted to go stove free, but like a hot meal (especially when it is cold) every couple days. Plus I will have a cup of coffee some mornings, or mid morning depending on the day as well.

I dehydrated a bunch of vegetabkes and made beef jerky. I found bone broth powder in small via type packages. I put it all together, add hot water and done. It's not great, tbh, but after a hard day, when it's cold at night, it feels incredible!

jaximus

FNG
instant oatmeal for breakfast, instant potatoes, and bagels (with peanut butter) because you can crush them super flat and they bounce back have always been a staple on our backcountry canadian fishing trips in canoes/tents. i figure the food would be similar.

16Bore

WKR
Forgot regular old Ramen noodles....dang. Best $0.25 meal there is.

S.Clancy

WKR
Go to, jalapeno cheese bagel with garden veg cream cheese and pepperoni. I'm also trying DIY dehydrated meals this year, have 5 each of Thai Chicken Basil and Shepards Pie made and ready to go

I have been dehydrating leftover spaghetti, jambalaya, dirty beans and rice, have used a few times camping and hunting much better than the freeze dried meals I've tried

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
0utle