Backcountry Food

Hey y’all. I have some leftover Peak Refuel meals from a last year hunt that ended early on a filled tag. I take all my meals and move them into zip lock freezer bags, take the silica gel pouch from the meal and place it in the zip lock and then remove a majority of the air so they are lighter in the pack. Do you feel like this left over meals are still good to eat on my upcoming hunt? Anyone have any experience with it? Thanks in advance!

Should be fine. I’d probably put them in the freezer if you’re repackaging them and keeping them till next season. That’s what I do with all my dehydrated meals - add an oxygen absorber and into the freezer till I use them.

Hey y’all. I have some leftover Peak Refuel meals from a last year hunt that ended early on a filled tag. I take all my meals and move them into zip lock freezer bags, take the silica gel pouch from the meal and place it in the zip lock and then remove a majority of the air so they are lighter in the pack. Do you feel like this left over meals are still good to eat on my upcoming hunt? Anyone have any experience with it? Thanks in advance!
Congrats on the filled tag!

I wouldn't hesitate at all to keep these and eat them on an upcoming hunt. We dehydrate most all of our meals and throw them in Zip Loc bags with no silica/O2 absorbers without any issues. I've eaten meals that are 2-3+ years old and they're still delicious.

Any packaged meals is going to have plenty of salt to keep that food good for quite a while. One of the biggest culprits to make food inedible (i.e. spoil) is it's water content. With the foods you're wondering about built on the premise of taking OUT as much water as possible, I'm confident you'll be good!