Backcountry Gear Lists with Dustin Wittwer and Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Backcountry Gear Lists with Dustin Wittwer and Jordan Budd

Today on Rokcast I’m joined by Dustin Wittwer, known for his own podcast Finding Backcountry and other brands Team Backcountry and Backcountry Logistics. We talk about the gear we use, including brands/models and why we use those items. This is a longer podcast for us, but don’t worry we’re still trying to stick to shorter podcasts. Gear lists take a while.

I did end up skipping what stove and cook system we use but we’ll be doing a stove and cooking podcast soon. My short version is the Soto Windmaster with a GSI Minimalist pot.

If there are any questions, post them up here!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good guy to have on your podcast. Knows how to hunt the backcounty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveptr

FNG
Jordan you brought up the peak refuel dinners I have a question. When packing your food do you count both servings and how do you split it up or is one package one meal? I'm curious since I'm new to hunting out of a pack

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jordan you brought up the peak refuel dinners I have a question. When packing your food do you count both servings and how do you split it up or is one package one meal? I'm curious since I'm new to hunting out of a pack

I count it as one meal. Most freeze dried meal brands, Mountain House, Backpackers Pantry, etc., will split 1 package into around 2 servings for the label on the package. But really, you're going to want the full amount after a long day.

Leads me to a tip: If you would rather have 1 serving pouches, I've found Mountain House 1 servings at Walmart. Double edged sword though.. If you go to Walmart to grab a couple quick meals, make sure you grab the size of meal you want. I grabbed a 1 serving on accident and wasn't near enough.

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
Dustin,

Like you, I dislike the axis internal insert system. Though I don’t care for outset systems either. Here is an alternative from black eagle that I use with my axis. However, they are only 51grns so they will not replace the total weight of your current system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ZioRob

FNG
My short version is the Soto Windmaster with a GSI Minimalist pot.

If there are any questions, post them up here!

G’day from Australia, I’m wondering does the Soto Windmaster fit inside the GSI Minimalist Pot with a fuel canister in it also? If not anybody know what my best option would be?

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
G’day from Australia, I’m wondering does the Soto Windmaster fit inside the GSI Minimalist Pot with a fuel canister in it also? If not anybody know what my best option would be?

It doesn’t fit with a canister. A canister won’t fit in the cup by itself either. But the stove fits in the cup. I have a little pouch that I keep everything together in.

ZioRob

FNG
It doesn’t fit with a canister. A canister won’t fit in the cup by itself either. But the stove fits in the cup. I have a little pouch that I keep everything together in.

Thanks for the reply. I’m a little confused, are you saying that a MSR canister won’t fit in the GSI Minimalist pot?

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply. I’m a little confused, are you saying that a MSR canister won’t fit in the GSI Minimalist pot?

Right. A small MSR canister will not fit inside of that GSI pot. The minimalist isn't big enough around.. the circumference is less than that of the fuel canister. You can fit the stove and pot grabber with a foldable spork inside of that pot.

ZioRob

FNG
Right. A small MSR canister will not fit inside of that GSI pot. The minimalist isn't big enough around.. the circumference is less than that of the fuel canister. You can fit the stove and pot grabber with a foldable spork inside of that pot.
Thanks again for the reply. Could it possibly be you have an older model and they were a little smaller? as all the online videos show people using there GSI Minimalist as per photo’s I’ve attached

Attachments

• 0D01D36A-5F97-43EE-84D4-C66246E82195.png
    0D01D36A-5F97-43EE-84D4-C66246E82195.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • 7B8D2734-2815-4799-9F02-20B85EE3B177.png
    7B8D2734-2815-4799-9F02-20B85EE3B177.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks again for the reply. Could it possibly be you have an older model and they were a little smaller? as all the online videos show people using there GSI Minimalist as per photo’s I’ve attached

Could be. Mine doesn’t fit a small canister.

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of sleeping bag do you run? I just picked up the Stone Glacier 0 degree and so far like it alot. It was a bit painful dropping that kind of money but good gear isnt cheap. What are your thoughts?

North61

Lil-Rokslider
I know a man who is here today because he took a Spot with him on a sheep hunting trip. He was solo hunting and pushed himself too hard and too fast with too big a load and not enough to drink and got himself into a medical crisis. It could have been a fall, or a bear encounter or a bee sting or.... a million things. He pushed the button and in a few hours was in a helicopter heading for assistance. Now he has an amusing tale to tell (comedy= tragedy+time). His wife still has a husband and his kids still have a father and his friends still have a friend. Leave something else at home but folks take the Inreach or Spot. I'd be ok not having to text my wife twice a day but damn that button on the side is my get out of jail free card. Doesn't mean we need to push the envelope further but we are all one tumble away from needing a hand.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
What kind of sleeping bag do you run? I just picked up the Stone Glacier 0 degree and so far like it alot. It was a bit painful dropping that kind of money but good gear isnt cheap. What are your thoughts?

These are the 3 I run. Western Mountaineering Badger, Kifaru Quilt and Kifaru Slick 0 degree. Good bags aren't cheap but you'll thank yourself when it's cold outside.

CuZnV1nny

FNG
I know stove/fuel coming soon... BUT... did Jetboil get on your list? Guy had one at camp and it was magic. I'm wondering if you have/would go that route given the Peak/MH preference for meals.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know stove/fuel coming soon... BUT... did Jetboil get on your list? Guy had one at camp and it was magic. I'm wondering if you have/would go that route given the Peak/MH preference for meals.

The stove article is up along with a video talking about all of them. I prefer the MSR Windburner over the Jetboil Flash, but same idea of boiling water applies.