BackCountry Grub for Cheap?

Newbie elk Hunter, new to this forum stuff, lots to learn. What're some good backpacking meals that are high in calories, tastes good, and doesnt turn your insides to a chemical reactor? Ive tried mountain house and some other dehydrated meals, but i think i enjoyed eating ramen better. Any tips would be appreciated

sram9102

WKR
Ramen with some olive oil added for a calorie bump works, you can also dehydrate your own meat to add to it. Tuna packets work well also.

I vacuum seal individual portions of 2 cups frosted mini wheats and 1/2 cup evaporated or dehydrated milk Good amount of calories, low weight.

Just cut top of bag open add desired amount of water, stir, eat.

I also do the same thing with Special K Touch of honey granola, but different amounts.
1 cup Special K Granola, 1/2 cup powdered milk, 1/2 cup dehydrated strawberries. This packs smaller that the shredded wheat mix and is around 550 calories.

I usually eat this either one of these later in the morning. I eat a cliff bar or some kind of protein bar with morning coffee. I usually eat this cereal/granola mix a few hours later depending on what is going on that morning.

Before season I would also suggest trying a few of the following mountain house flavors, if you haven’t already. They never bother my stomach. I only eat them for dinner.

Pasta Primavera

Beef Stroganoff

Bring burrito size tortilla and a pouch of the chicken fajita bowl.

Chicken and rice

Turkey Tetrazini

Italian style pepper steak

I get all of these in the 2 or 2.5 serving pouches. Light weight, all around 500-600 calories for the whole pouch.

My typical daily backpack food each day

First meal when I get out of tent or start hiking before daylight:
1 Starbucks Via,1 cliff bar or protein bar

Second meal usually somewhere around 9am:
Vacuum sealed cereal/powdered milk mix

3rd meal sometime around noon:
1.5 oz homemade jerky, 1/4 mix of roasted nuts, 1 packet of powdered pedialyte added to 20-30 oz water bottle

4th meal around 3 pm:
Protein bar/cliff bar

5th meal around 5pm:
1.5 oz homemade jerky, 1/4 mix of roasted nuts, 1 packet of powdered pedialyte added to 20-30 oz water bottle. Usually have another Starbucks via late afternoon

6th meal typically after dark before hiking back to camp:
Mountain House

This works really good for my body and metabolism.I try to make sure I’m getting 300-400 calories every few hours. I’m also drinking water from water bladder all throughout the day. This mix of food weighs roughly 2 1/4 pounds per day, and is in the ballpark of 2500 calories.

We are away from camp from before daylight till after dark typically. Covering lots of ground trying to Locate vocal bulls, and also stop to call near known bedding areas for 20-30 minutes to call in silent bulls. 7-8 mile days in the mountains is super common for us, and this amount of food works great for me

Poser

WKR
Breakfast:
2 packs of oatmeal + powdered butter
Rx bar

2nd breakfast:
Pop tarts

Lunch:
Salami and Gouda cheese tortilla + hot sauce, ranch dressing, buffalo sauce etc (something wet)
Nuts

Snacks: jerky, honey stingers

For dinner, eat Dehydrated/freeze dried meals, but I don’t eat Mtn House. I usually do Heather Choice or Alpine Aire meals.

Clarence

WKR
Having a good dehydrater has worked well for me. Month or so leading up to season, I just make extra of meals that work well, and taste good on the mountain. Make extra and dehydrate leftovers. You can about justify a nice Excalibur dehydrator in a season depending how much time you spend out. Have found that I use it several times a month for various snacks and meals now. There is a good thread in the backcountry cooking thread for some ideas.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: WCB

CorbLand

WKR
Whatever the gas station closest to the mountain range offers in bulk lol
This is always a risky option and should also include a stop in the bathroom for a toilet paper raid. You hit the jackpot if its a double staller and you got the place to yourself.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Having a good dehydrater has worked well for me. Month or so leading up to season, I just make extra of meals that work well, and taste good on the mountain. Make extra and dehydrate leftovers. You can about justify a nice Excalibur dehydrator in a season depending how much time you spend out. Have found that I use it several times a month for various snacks and meals now. There is a good thread in the backcountry cooking thread for some ideas.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
+1

This is exactly what I do. I'll also make casseroles; eat one serving while it's hot and dehydrate the rest. Using leftovers definitely helps with having more variety though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
That cereal and dry milk is a great idea. I just can’t eat a decent breakfast as early as I leave camp.

dtrkyman

WKR
During the day while hunting, jerky, my own mix trail mix(caramel m&ms are the bomb!) rx bars or kind bars. In the winter I like to bring a mountain house eggs and bacon, hot breakfast is awesome while glassing when its sub freezing weather.

I typically truck camp so I pre make some good eats for dinners and heat them up at camp.

I vacuum seal individual portions of 2 cups frosted mini wheats and 1/2 cup evaporated or dehydrated milk Good amount of calories, low weight.

Just cut top of bag open add desired amount of water, stir, eat.

I also do the same thing with Special K Touch of honey granola, but different amounts.
1 cup Special K Granola, 1/2 cup powdered milk, 1/2 cup dehydrated strawberries. This packs smaller that the shredded wheat mix and is around 550 calories.

I usually eat this either one of these later in the morning. I eat a cliff bar or some kind of protein bar with morning coffee. I usually eat this cereal/granola mix a few hours later depending on what is going on that morning.

Glad that someone else is doing this. Super simple.

Definitely going to try the cereal/powdered milk..great way to add variety.

The MH granola and blueberries are great too.

WCB

WKR
I second or maybe third the idea of getting your own dehydrator and doing it yourself...Jerky is a staple for me on any hunt and no way cheap to get it than make it yourself. We do a ton of fruit at our house just for snacks at home but also awesome while hunting.

I haven't bought a freeze dried meal for 8 or 9 years. So much easier just making a little extra of whatever and doing it myself.

This is always a risky option and should also include a stop in the bathroom for a toilet paper raid. You hit the jackpot if its a double staller and you got the place to yourself.

this is called the “I spent all my money on rifle ammo and tags” backcountry budget, I’ll always get there and by golly I’ll hunt, just might be a scavenging experience lol