Backcountry Heat

IAboy92

FNG
A buddy and I went on a three day two night deer hunting trip in southern Iowa this past weekend to test out some of our gear for a Colorado elk hunt next year (before you say it, I know great comparison eh). We were obviously more focused on the camp side of things. The temperature ranged from 10 degrees to about 30 throughout our trip and we tented the whole thing. My question to you is how do you guys manage heat at camp? We were fine in our sleeping bags and did spoil ourselves with a propane heater when we were just sitting around camp but that won't be making the trip next fall as we intend to backpack hunt. The most logical answer to me would be either tough it up or fire. If the answer is fire how do you manage scent control? I was also wondering what you guys used for boots as far as insulation levels? My feet got very cold this weekend with 1600 gr rubber boots with one pair of socks, but obviously I was sitting in a treestand not moving. It would not surprise me if people wore uninsulated boots in the mountains just based off of activity level. I know people vary significantly when it comes to the topic of boots ranging from tennis shoes to very heavy mountaineering boots. I kind of have an idea of where I want to be on that spectrum, but haven't heard much voiced on the topic of insulation. Any input or tips you guys may have on this would be much appreciated!

OP
IAboy92

IAboy92

FNG
I would like to get to the point where I feel comfortable getting on elk for an archery hunt, but beings as though this will be our first time elk hunting I think we are planning on late season rifle.

This year was my first time out. We went during first rifle. I've got a Tut and cylinder stove so we have a warm tent at night/morning.

As far as boots go, I wore Salomon 4d gtx boots. They were fine as long as we kept moving, but got cold if we glassed for more than an hour in one spot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
I have 3 pair of boots depending on the temps. Above 30; uninsulated, 30 to 0; 600gr insulated, below zero; felt/thinsulate pacs. One big thing is to not cinch the boots down super tight in the cold. Either leave them a little loose, or loosen them up when you are not hiking. Blood flow warms your feet. Too tight = no blood flow = guaranteed cold toes.

Scent control is the absolute last thing to worry about on a backcountry, or actually any mountain hunt (IMHO). Worry about the wind and hunt accordingly. Just accept the fact that you stink and there is NOTHING you can do about it. That said, wood smoke is a natural smell to animals, and I have not seen them react to it beyond sniffing the air and going about their business.

You can get a pack stove and tipi or pyramid style tent to use it in. That is a really nice way to go, but it is just to cook, warm up before bed, and dry out your clothes. You can't keep it stoked all night, they aren't an efficient setup. There is also that whole gathering firewood part that can be easy, or can be a PITA. Think extra weight from the stove and at least a serviceable saw. A small hatchet is nice as well.

Generally speaking, if it is that cold, you probably don't need to camp in the backcountry. The animals will likely be lower. I'd recommend you hunt the archery or earlier rifle seasons if you aren't accustomed to backcountry tent camping. It isn't hard to get a 1st season rifle tag.

Lots of options. Check out the Seek Outside site. They have some winter camping info and info on their stove/tent combos. Other setups are very similar and it will give you an idea how it works.

Jeremy

cnelk

WKR
Late season rifle you will not only want heat, but need it.
The days are short and nights are long. Totally opposite of archery season

Since you're not packing a stove, fire it is.
Dont worry about the smell of it.

Bring extra socks. Plenty. Change them often
You can dry the damp ones each night in your sleeping bag.

Backpacking in during late elk season sure sounds fun and exciting, but I sure wouldnt do it again.

I have that T-shirt

ChrisAU

WKR
We had weather in the teens at night on our 2nd rifle trip a couple weeks ago, we were fine with uninsulated boots the entire time. One morning a buddy used some of those boot covers, and they are awesome for tree stand hunting btw. We had a fire every morning and night, and hunted the wind.

OP
IAboy92

IAboy92

FNG
I am going to precede this question by apologizing for my lack of knowledge in the area, but when people talk about hot spots in their boots as it pertains to getting blisters, does this have to do with your feet actually sweating or just places where your boots rub unequally on portions of your feet? Obviously I have gotten blisters before when hiking but didn't know if insulation would have any effect on that or if that was something to consider when picking a boot specifically for cold weather backpack hunting. I am definitely going to take ChrisAU's advice and grab a pair of those boot covers.

Bulldawg

WKR
It would be where the boots are rubbing and making blisters. If you're doing a late season hunt I would think about getting a wall tent and wood stove for some heat. I have never used anything but uninsulated boots, might have to go a little bigger boot than what you think just so you have some room for your toes to wiggle. I recommend guys don't do a backcountry hunt as their first western hunt because that adds a whole new dimension, and later in the season most of the elk have started moving down and probably closer to the roads. But if you are dead set on a backcountry camp I would recommend on getting an ultralight tent and woods stove combo. Help the evenings and mornings go by a little quicker.

I am going to precede this question by apologizing for my lack of knowledge in the area, but when people talk about hot spots in their boots as it pertains to getting blisters, does this have to do with your feet actually sweating or just places where your boots rub unequally on portions of your feet? Obviously I have gotten blisters before when hiking but didn't know if insulation would have any effect on that or if that was something to consider when picking a boot specifically for cold weather backpack hunting. I am definitely going to take ChrisAU's advice and grab a pair of those boot covers.

rbljack

WKR
We hunted WY this year for our elk hunt. The day we were scheduled to hike in to our camp spot, a snowstorm came through. we delayed 1 day, and hiked in the next day. There was about 10 inches of snow. we didn't get in as far as we planned due to the snow. Also, making camp was a chore. I ran a kifaru sawtooth and brought my medium box stove. First lesson learned for me is that; that shelter was super nice, but a bit heavy for me to carry in solo...meaning everyone had their own tents. I literally was camped on top of a snow layer. The stove was hard to get lit, but once I had it going it was real nice being able to warm up. temps got down into teens and maybe even single digits.

On to the boots....I ran Lowa Tibet GTX uninsulated boots. those boots were fine on my previous hunts. But my feet quickly got cold on this hunt. In fact, I got mild frostbite and had limited feeling in my toes for a few weeks after getting back from the trip. Still not back to 100 percent. The boots are a quality boot, so I wont call them junk by any means. Here is where I went wrong; Because of the snow and colder temps, I tried running a heavier sock than normal. This was a mistake. I had less circulation and yep my feet got colder. I also think that an uninsulated boot is even colder with snow on the ground. On dry ground at the same temps,, I think my feet would have been ok. But buried in the snow all day made it a bit worse I think. I did change my socks often, but you will sweat when you walk around, and I sweat a lot...hence developed cold feet. Im now in the market for an insulated boot for hunts where I think we may see low temps and snow. Hope this helps...but with boots everyone is different. gotta just see what works, and doesent work for ya. Good luck.

Oh..and for scent control....the only scent control we worry about is the wind. Don't worry about cover scents, sprays, etc. For elk hunts where you are packing in, its not even worth taking. we sat around a camp fire trying to warm up and dry our cloths. I guess you could say our only cover scent was from the smoke of a fire. I will say this though....my merino wool layers have really helped to decrease the "funk".

Shrek

WKR
Forget about scent control as you are referring to it. Scent control is hunting into the wind and learning to work thermals. In fact western hunting has changed the way I hunt here in Florida and Georgia. I now understand that “scent control” is just a marketing gimmick to sell chit. I hunt the wind period now and I’m seeing more and better deer than I ever have.
Uninsulated boots are the way to go imo. Good wool socks and not too tight boots work great down to zero for me. I also avoid goretex and the like. Heavy sweat , dead skin and dust , and cold cause them to not breath at all and the liner becomes a plastic bag around your foot. Sweat pools inside the liner and your feet freeze. Boots treated to repel water and good wicking liners work wonders. Moisture buildup will also soften your feet and lead to blisters. The Lowa leather lined non GTX are great if they fit well. It’s hard to find good non goretex boots.

Keep seeing this thread and thinking it’s about a show featuring game wardens or DEA or border patrol agents or something in the back country.

Despite the impression this website might give you, very few people pack in a camp on their backs in late season and for good reason.. Start out with an early season hunt or truck camp. Even if you have to put more miles on, you'll be more comfortable and mentally fresh doing so.

aion2come

WKR
What wind gypsy said. BTW, don't pass on archery just because you haven't gone before. Generally archery season requires less/cheaper gear and has less hunting pressure. Even in spike camping in, you can often get by with much of your whitetail gear. That also lets you build up your gear over years to the point where you can have a truly nice setup. I'm getting ready for my 6th hunt, and I'm just now getting everything totally dialed in. I couldn't afford to buy all the top-end gear at once.

Wrench

WKR
Gaiters are one of the best accessories to have. They keep in heat, shed water and can be applied and removed in seconds.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Forget about scent control as you are referring to it. Scent control is hunting into the wind and learning to work thermals. In fact western hunting has changed the way I hunt here in Florida and Georgia. I now understand that “scent control” is just a marketing gimmick to sell chit. I hunt the wind period now and I’m seeing more and better deer than I ever have.
Uninsulated boots are the way to go imo. Good wool socks and not too tight boots work great down to zero for me. I also avoid goretex and the like. Heavy sweat , dead skin and dust , and cold cause them to not breath at all and the liner becomes a plastic bag around your foot. Sweat pools inside the liner and your feet freeze. Boots treated to repel water and good wicking liners work wonders. Moisture buildup will also soften your feet and lead to blisters. The Lowa leather lined non GTX are great if they fit well. It’s hard to find good non goretex boots.
Zamberlan makes their 960 Guide boot in a leather lined non Gore tex version now

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk