Backcountry/High Country Lightning Safety

Mike, Lookouts are usually on insulators, so probably a great place to be! Nice vid.

The new ones I've been in are... this one was a bit older and wasn't on insulators! Looks like it's been there and abandoned for 20+ years. I've been in ones that had glass insulators underneath everything. Most lightning protection this place had was a 10' steel pole mounted on two corners of the deck with what looked like a large ground wire attached and ran into the ground...??? every time a strike would happen that pole would sizzle 1/2 second before it and would lightly hum at random! Was pretty exciting stuff! We were getting strikes every 30-60 seconds on average and had it on every side of us...

Mike

swat8888

WKR
Not at all related to hunting, but since we're talking about lightning I did watch lightning strike my neighbors van parked about 50 ft from where I was standing. Of course I was just sitting inside trying to rock my 5 mo old to sleep watching the monsoon....still pretty scary though, sure as hell wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere outside w/ all that lightning. I really never thought about it since my of my hunting has been in AK where I don't think I've ever experienced any more than a handful of lightning strikes in the backcountry.

bobhunts

WKR
Lightning scares me more than anything the woods has to offer. I took a friend and his three teenaged kids backpacking in the Sangre de Christo range in Colorado last year and to this day have never been so scared from the wild. That stuff comes and goes and then comes back again when you think all is fine. Thank god I was in a good tent that kept me dry but I wondered about the poles being a conducter!

G Posik

WKR
Lightning is one of those things that the only thing you can do is give your metal lightning rod to Curtis and move away quickly! Just remember to use common sense and get your self out of harms way.

Glenn

dotman

WKR
Lightning is one of those things that the only thing you can do is give your metal lightning rod to Curtis and move away quickly! Just remember to use common sense and get your self out of harms way.

Glenn

Thanks for the tip, Curtis I need a partner this year :)

G Posik

WKR
Curtis is going with me this year, he was not suppose to read this. Oh well there goes that plan now I guess we will just have to leave the area when the lightning starts. Hope you are feeling better, got your text. I will be in touch in a few days to check on you.

Glenn

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
Opening weekend last year in Colorado was a lightening free for all. The little peak near me (about 1/2 mile) got hammered twice EACH NIGHT. Was restless sleep to say the least - just hoped that my air pad was similar to an insulator. Changed my camping location for the rest of my trips last year.

Of larger concern I think is standing dead trees - get a storm blow through and there is a chance then can topple over. Dont pitch your tent within the fall zone of any dead trees.

muleman

WKR
24-year-old man killed by lightning while fishing

Condolences to this mans family.
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=21381148&s_cid=rss-148

I had a overnight scouting trip planned with my 11yr old daughter tonight. I canceled it after seeing the forecast called for lightning storms in the area tonight and tomorrow. We normally camp on an exposed ridge that offers little protection from lightning. Lots of the snags, on this ridge, show signs of past lightning strikes. Just not worth it.

sk1

WKR
I know I saw that it's terrible i hope their family is getting the support they need......

This makes my wife not want me to go solo even more

MattEastman

Lil-Rokslider
Oh man, if there is one thing that scares the hell out of me, it's lightning. Been in some flat out scary storms. I don't have any suggestions. Bears and lions, big deal..........but lightning brings out the little girl in me. I HATE IT!

OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
I know I saw that it's terrible i hope their family is getting the support they need......

This makes my wife not want me to go solo even more

Well I would just tell my wife it doesn't really matter if you are solo or not in most cases involving lightning. Not much they can do when you are done.

sk1

WKR
Last edited:

sk1

WKR
i just dont get what it is about the high uintas but people get struck by lightning there all the time..... i leave saturday for my 9 day backpacking hunt, and i can tell you if i see a storm coming in i wont waste a second of time getting to what i consider a "safer" area to wait out the storm

wish me luck, ha