Backcountry Hunt: How much gear to carry day to day

ktowncamo

WKR
So I was contemplating how much gear I typically carry each day as I'm hunting (most of my hunting is single day hunts from a base camp or home since I live 10 miles from my hunting area) but as I am looking at a 4-5 day backcountry hunt this year I'm re-thinking the amount of gear I end up carrying each day. To complicate the thought process, I was watching a hunt on an older Eastman's video with Cameron Hanes where they pack into a spot with heavy packs but then Cameron is toting next to nothing each day as he hunts.

So, how much gear do you typically carry day to day on a backcountry hunt where you've set up a base camp and not "camp-on-your-back" style?

RUTTIN

WKR
Ktown, I typically pack in and set up a base camp and hunt from there. During the day I pack only what food, and water I need for the day. All other food gets left at camp. I will have my basic survival gear, and anything else I might need to take care of an animal. Most of the initial weight gets left at basecamp, and if I need to move I pack it all up and move.

swat8888

WKR
I still end up carrying quite a bit of gear. When hunting from basecamp I still always have the following in my pack (keep in mind if you are somewhere dry you can drop some of the items):

Sleeping bag w/ bivy
Golite tarp (doubles as pack cover)
Spotter w/ tripod
Binos
Trekking poles
Food (power bars and some drink mixes)
Taxidermy kit
Game bags
Piece of old sleeping mat to glass off of
Emergency blanket/first aid stuff
Full rain gear
Puffy jacket
Gloves (although I almost never wear them)
Two liters of water...usually only keep one full if I know there is water higher up
Satphone
Rangefinder
Beanie

Jon Boy

WKR
Ill typically carry enough gear for an over night in case I get on some animals deep and dont want to head back to my main base where the rest of my gear is. You can usually get away with a 20 pound pack or so doing this so its not a big deal to tote it around.

ridgefire

WKR
i carry rain gear, a days worth of food if just planning on going for one day plus one additonal mountain house meal, stove, fuel and pot, first aid kit including a space blanket, water pump, game bags, a folding knife, a havalon, and a beanie. tend to over pack but i have seen the weather in the high country change in a hurry.