Backcountry hunt - Mandatory CWD Testing

I have a rifle deer tag this year in a unit with mandatory CWD testing. There’s a 99.9% chance I’ll euro mount my buck if I get one. Since we’re going to be backpacking in, if I wasn’t in a mandatory testing unit I’d probably only pack out the skull with the lower jaw removed.

For those of you that backpack hunt and are getting your deer tested what are you doing? Are you keeping the head in tact and just packing it out? Cutting out the lymph nodes yourself and bringing them to the test site?

Maybe a stupid question but the CPW site shows a zone that we are heading to as mandatory testing for all rifle hunters. We will be bowhunting in an earlier season????? Do we have to test?

EdP

WKR
I was on a guided MD hunt last fall in a zone where testing was not required, but requested. I watched a video on removing the lymph nodes a couple of times, and then did it myself after killing a buck. Then I dropped them off with Wy F&G on my way home. I think the test results (neg for CWD) were available 5 days later. F&G had to know the specific location where the animal was taken or they would not process the lymph nodes. They had Onx hunt available on a tablet but it was a problem for some folks that didn't pay attention to where their guide took them.

not mandatory for archery and mz seasons in most units where the rifle seasons are mandatory checks. check regs for your specific tag or call CPW if you are unsure.

I harvested a bull in a mandatory CWD unit last year. CPW will ask that you pack out the entire head because many people can cut out the salivary glands instead of the lymph nodes. I called CPW and they confirmed that bringing the entire head so they can remove the lymph nodes is requested, but not mandatory. You are allowed to remove the lymph nodes yourself in the field so you don't have to pack the entire head. CPW has a video on their site that walks you through removing the lymph nodes and shows you how to do it. I took a couple of pictures with my phone for reference and used them in the field to compare with what I cut out of the elk. I took them to the CPW office and they said it was exactly what they needed. I would do that rather than pack a bunch of weight you don't need/want.

FYI, I just dropped my head off at CPW and watched the guy remove the lymph nodes. They're really just right there and pretty easy to locate/find.

Here's the best video I could find: