backcountry hunter from Norway

My grandmother came from Norway. Seeing these pics and knowing there are some hardcore hunters and amazing country over there is pumping me up. Going to have to make a visit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

hari

FNG
Hey man im looking into coming to do some DIY stuff in Norway because my dad is from there would you able to answer some question on laws?

Mt Al

WKR
a

Being saami i rock saami knives, although mora and helle is well known.
i also use fallkniven wm1 in 3 g steel.
i tried to join the interchangable blade crowd, but i was not convinced.

Those knives are awesome! Very cool that you're of the Sammi people, wikipedia has what I hope is a thorough description of your people with similar pictures of knives. Fascinating.

Welcome to Rokslide, great pictures of your hunts and adventures and the pipe gives you +12 man points, at least. The trained big game hunting dog is equal to another + 11.5 man points. Hope you stay active and show us more of your country and that you come to the USA sometime.

jeffpg

WKR
Welcome to the slide Viking.

I was fortunate to have spent 10 weeks working near Alesund, Norway in 2007, from January until March. The locals that we worked with told us that winter was the harshest in 10 years. When I arrived there it got daylight at 9:30 am and was dark by 3:30 pm. We worked through a lot of rain, sleet and snow. It was quite the cultural experience and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I met some great people and made some lifelong friends, some of whom I continued to work with over the next 10 years.

Of all the guys that made the trip with us, I seemed to be the one who felt the most at home there...
After I returned home to the states, a relative told me that he had participated in some dna research that traced us back to having begun in Norway. Go figure.

The first thing I researched when I accepted the job assignment was hunting opportunities, but I failed to find anything that seemed to be doable, especially within my time frame.

Definitely let us know if you get to our side of the world. I am sure that some of us will be able to put you onto something interesting.

Jeff

feanor

WKR
Very interesting thread. Thanks for sharing. So do you live in a rural area out there? Im guessing since you dont like city politics, you dont live in the city. Do you hunt to simply supplement your food supply throughout the year, or as a primary source?

OP
arctic scandi
Very interesting thread. Thanks for sharing. So do you live in a rural area out there? Im guessing since you dont like city politics, you dont live in the city. Do you hunt to simply supplement your food supply throughout the year, or as a primary source?
Hunting is my primary source of meat, by Choice not necessity, yes i live in a rural part of arctic Norway

Last edited:

prm

WKR
I like the proficiency test!

Great background on hunting in Norway. What are the primary big game options in Finland? With all the good equipment coming out of Finland it would seem they must have some good hunting.

OP
arctic scandi
Welcome to the slide Viking.

I was fortunate to have spent 10 weeks working near Alesund, Norway in 2007, from January until March. The locals that we worked with told us that winter was the harshest in 10 years. When I arrived there it got daylight at 9:30 am and was dark by 3:30 pm. We worked through a lot of rain, sleet and snow. It was quite the cultural experience and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I met some great people and made some lifelong friends, some of whom I continued to work with over the next 10 years.

Of all the guys that made the trip with us, I seemed to be the one who felt the most at home there...
After I returned home to the states, a relative told me that he had participated in some dna research that traced us back to having begun in Norway. Go figure.

The first thing I researched when I accepted the job assignment was hunting opportunities, but I failed to find anything that seemed to be doable, especially within my time frame.

Definitely let us know if you get to our side of the world. I am sure that some of us will be able to put you onto something interesting.

Jeff
Alesund is about 1000kilometres south of me, compared to us they have mild but wet winters, but to compensate they do have red stag in the southwestern parts . whre i live, we now have daylight about two and a half hours a day, then again by april it wil be daylight around the clock. i sure will let you know if i come to north America, i envy your divercity of species, and i often dream about hunting in north America, here up north we have much less species.

TheCougar

WKR
I fly into Oerland every year. It’s beautiful out there... the train ride from Trondheim to Oslo had me drooling the entire time, looking for animals and enjoying the scenery. Sounds like you’re well north of that, though - I just hang out in the tropical part of Norway!

oldschool

FNG
welcome I have been to Norway what a beautiful country.My wifes family is in Sweden when we were there they took me hunting a bird called a scarna I think that was the name.