Backcountry Hunting Knife and Saw for Butchering

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I am starting to gear up for a backcountry hunt on something. I don’t know what yet. I have a Buck 477 knife now and it has been my go to for cleaning deer and everything else in SC. It can get in tight spaces with its small point, it can cape, it has a gut hook, and it has enough backing to push through tough spots. I’m wondering having said all of that if I need to switch to a knife system like Havalon for a knife and saw with changeable blades. Or do I just need to buy a small saw and a small stone for my knife and move on. What are y’all using? Thanks in advance.

feanor

WKR
If you have a knife already that you’re comfortable with, save your money for the inevitable other item(s) you’ll need for the trip.

I like a replaceable blade knife. Havalon, outdoor edge, gerber, tyto... ect.

No saw for butchering. Maybe if you plan on skull capping.

If you're comfortable sharpening in the field and like your knife then no reason to switch.
You might like the replaceable though. Just switch it out when it's dull.

Fair warning though they're all surgical blades that will make quick work of your flesh as well as a dead critter. So being careful with them is highly recommend. I got a lot of havalon/outdoor edge bites that are permanent on my left hand from getting in a hurry.

ridgefire

WKR
I use a Havalon and a Browning RMEF replacable blade knife for completely breaking down a bull and removing the head and lower jaw. Like mentioned, the Havalon blades are really sharp and cut easier than expected. No need for the saw.

Beckjhong

WKR
Havalon is a great way to end up in the ED. You have a knife you like. Use it. Plenty of other stuff that’ll suck your money away.

MtnMuley

WKR
Misuse of any knife can land you in the ER. Replacable blade knifes are awesome and lightweight. No need for a saw in butchering and if you're wanting to skull cap, throw in a Havalon saw blade. You'd be pretty surprised how quickly you can get a skull cap off. You can have your whole knife/saw weighing a couple ounces and very effective.

Fatcamp

WKR
We carry a cut glove in our kill kits. Easy choice for sure. That said, my fixed blade knife is very, very sharp. A mistake with that will send you an ED bill for sure.

Surgical blade knives are nice. My first Gerber exploded so I bought some fixed versions off Amazon.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use a fixed blade knife as well as a Havalon. My fixed is S30V steel so it will make it through at least one animal before needing resharpening, and the Havalon weighs less than most field sharpeners so no need for a sharpener anyway. I don't carry a saw, but can always bring my WY saw back with me on load two if I want to skull cap it.

xcutter

WKR
I agree with 5MilesBack. I like a fixed blade and a Havalon. Love my Benchmade Steep Country (S30V Steel) and Havalon. No saw is necessary unless you want to skull cap an animal.

rayporter

WKR
^^^same for me. your blade will be fine. choose your saw wisely. some of the saws will take a llllloooong time to cut off an elk skull cap. but not a problem if you are going to carry out the head. and dont forget prying out the ivories. that is tough with a havalon.

MtnMuley

WKR
^^^same for me. your blade will be fine. choose your saw wisely. some of the saws will take a llllloooong time to cut off an elk skull cap. but not a problem if you are going to carry out the head. and dont forget prying out the ivories. that is tough with a havalon.
Why pry out the ivories with a Havalon or any knife? A chunk of stick or a leg/scapula bone and a rock will have the ivories out in 5 seconds.

rayporter

WKR
good morning MtnMuley, i hope your day goes well!

i always cut down around the ivory and then give it a whack with the butt of my knife. mostly cause that is already in my hand. a leg bone sounds a mite awkward with out some doctoring but i can see it would work.

the one time i use a havalon on an elk i lost the blade several times and found it scary to retrieve the blade and reinstall it. i happend to have a multi tool that day to remove the ivories so i did not have to get inventive.

i may not carry a havalon again because of that adventure. the darn thing is so light and will do all the cutting necessary but losing blades is no fun.

KyBeamBum

FNG
I've never tackled an elk yet but have field dressed , caped out , and then deboned 3 whitetail deer before sharpening my Mora Companion that is carbon steel . My plan would be carry what you have been using and are comfortable with and bring a lightweight sharpening stone .