Backcountry insurance??

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,
Do you purchase some type of insurance policy that would help pay for costs of a Backcountry rescue, or some type of incident in the back country?
I have made a few Backcountry hunt, I use a Garmin inreach. I've heard of backcountry insurance policies but have never looked into them and I'm not sure where to look.
If any members on here use that type of policy I would appreciate some input on who you use, why them, and pros and cons.
Thank you in advance!

CorbLand

WKR
I don’t but my brother pays for one. It’s 60 bucks a year for lifeflight insurance. It’s cover anything that your regular insurance won’t if you have to get lifeflighted. Seems pretty cheap to cover yourself and if they offered it here, I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the lifeflight insurance. Its about 75 bucks a year and covers both me and my wife.

You run a risk just driving to and from hunting on rural highways and in remote areas. Any serious vehicle related injury is going to result in a air ambulance, otherwise your golden hour is gone and you will end up deceased. Although I have full medical insurance it helps to have the extra air insurance as often the bill can be upwards of 80k.

There was a big write up about it in Montana last year as the cost of flight was bankrupting people without the insurance. So if I put my foot on backwards in the sticks and set off my PLB, or get smacked by a drunk halfway between somewhere and nowhere, i am covered. ( For CA, WA, OR, ID, and MT)

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like most have said, just the life flight insurance. For the Mexico trips we took we had Global Rescue.

Poser

WKR
50k in life flight

Pay an extra $20 a month on my employer healthcare which covers things such as broken bones due to dangerous activities that the regular insurance excludes.

CO hunting licenses include S&R insurance though not exactly sure when a “rescue” becomes an ambulance ride.

Between hunting, snowboarding and mountain biking, statistics aren’t necessarily on my side for getting through life without a Backcountry rescue of some type.

ChrisAU

WKR
What specific companies/agencys are you guys using for CO? A quick google doesn't help much, I suppose the easiest thing to do is the Garmin inReach insurance?

Poser

WKR
What specific companies/agencys are you guys using for CO? A quick google doesn't help much, I suppose the easiest thing to do is the Garmin inReach insurance?

One downside to that insurance is that it’s only a valid claim if you initiate the rescue from your device.

GreenOne

FNG
A few of the high end credit cards include it. I use the Chase Sapphire Reserve and it has up to 100000 coverage for any Medevac while traveling. It may be worth looking into if the other benefits of the card make it worth the annual fee.

Zbot

WKR
I have the insurance offered through SPOT, just add it on to my bill at renewal every year. I think it has to originate through the messenger though...

IdahoElk

WKR
lifeflight insurance. I had to be lifeflighted out a few years ago after a bad motorcycle fall to the tune of $12k, I don't go in the woods anymore without it.

CX5Ranch

WKR
I carry a little paddle...you know for the creek

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

A few of the high end credit cards include it. I use the Chase Sapphire Reserve and it has up to 100000 coverage for any Medevac while traveling. It may be worth looking into if the other benefits of the card make it worth the annual fee.

I gotta stop procrastinating about getting the card. I travel quite a bit for work and it was worth it due to that. This new benefit seals the deal!
Thanks