Backcountry insurance??

zacattack

WKR
Hey all,
Do you purchase some type of insurance policy that would help pay for costs of a Backcountry rescue, or some type of incident in the back country?
I have made a few Backcountry hunt, I use a Garmin inreach. I've heard of backcountry insurance policies but have never looked into them and I'm not sure where to look.
If any members on here use that type of policy I would appreciate some input on who you use, why them, and pros and cons.
Thank you in advance!

We have life flight insurance. My wife rides horses and I’m in some fairly remote places for work as well as hunting and fishing.

A friend of ours had to get life flight one time and that shit was so damn expensive, I think 15k or something, I have no idea why people wouldnt buy the insurance for that.

Backyard

WKR
I don't believe this covers any sort of air evacuation. I believe the cost allows the local SAR team to be reimbursed from the state for their expenses.
Air evac isnt the only option for extraction.
Last year when I had a problem and was talking to dispatch (I had cell service), they assured me that I had already paid for rescue on my tag and to not hesitate if I feel I needed the service.

Rich M

WKR
No, I never had such insurance. A year ago I bought a piece of land in the forest and this year I built there a little cabin. The main reason is to cover us from rain and wind in the hunting days. I'm just wondering if I should take an insurance for that. I mean for the cabin. I saw pretty good offers on https://homeownersinsurancecover.net/connecticut/ , and even insurance for the off-grid homes. Would you guys insure a place where strangers will shelter?

Definitely - and I'd put up a sign that says use at your own risk. and then get a $1 million umbrella policy.

Last year when I had a problem and was talking to dispatch (I had cell service), they assured me that I had already paid for rescue on my tag and to not hesitate if I feel I needed the service.

True. But the way it was stated above one could believe air evac was covered with the tag when in reality it is not.

Backyard

WKR
True. But the way it was stated above one could believe air evac was covered with the tag when in reality it is not.

One could interpret that. But I was commenting on the OP’s original question that asked about backcountry rescue. I don t recall him asking about air evac specifically. Sorry if I missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rokwiia

WKR
Can you folks provide the name of insurers that you've contacted? I'm having trouble finding insurers at all.

Last edited:

IdahoElk

WKR

For the $50-$80 it costs for Life Flight it's worth it. The only other option is to have search and rescue hike in and carry you out which might not be so comfortable or smart if you have anything serious.
Speaking from first hand experience when your messed up and not doing well in the backcountry the sound of the helicopter is the sweetest sound you'll ever hear.

IdahoElk

WKR
One could interpret that. But I was commenting on the OP’s original question that asked about backcountry rescue. I don t recall him asking about air evac specifically. Sorry if I missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What other type of rescue is there in the backcountry?

Cockeye

WKR
Encounter an at-risk situation in a remote location or offshore, and inReach quickly becomes the most valuable tool in your survival kit. It provides global, interactive SOS capabilities — and that means you’re able to trigger a distress signal, receive delivery confirmation that help is on the way and maintain a 2-way text conversation with the GEOS emergency monitoring center. GEOS is standing by 24/7 to assist with your emergency, track your location and notify the most appropriate emergency response for your unique situation. Whenever, wherever — the GEOS team will stay in communication with you until your situation is resolved.
GEOS is the world leader in emergency response solutions and monitoring. They’ve supported rescues in more than 140 countries, saving many lives in the process. Check out our blog to see how some of our customers have relied on their inReach and GEOS to save the day.
For more information about GEOS and additional optional coverage plans, refer to the GEOS SOS Coverage section in the Account tab of your explore.garmin.com account, or visit their website.
Additional GEOS Services Information
GEOS SAR

Additional GEOS Search & Rescue Benefit Program which provides up to $100,000 in search and rescue resources. This special program can insulate you from significant financial impact by providing additional search and rescue (SAR) resources that may be necessary to aid in your rescue and may not be readily available to local responders (including specialized personnel, special vehicles and equipment, etc.). The benefit gives the you access to up to US$100,000 in any one year with a single incident limit of US$50,000. In some countries, there is either a charge for SAR, or there may be no official agency willing or able to respond, again the GEOS SAR benefit can help. (Note: This prepaid annual benefit is for you and doesn’t cover someone else using your inReach.)
GEOS MEDIVAC

GEOS Worldwide Medical Evacuation, In the event of a hospital stay, be transported to the hospital of your choice anywhere in the world! This is a single, life-saving source for medical evacuation and emergency assistance. The program provides up to US$1 million to pay for emergency medical evacuation expenses to transport you in a medically-equipped and staffed aircraft from the place of any incident anywhere in the world to the nearest medical facility and then to a hospital near your home. The service is available if you are 99 miles or more away from home. (Note: This benefit is for you and doesn’t cover someone else using your inReach.)

Rokwiia

WKR
Life Flight works if you in the covered area (Pacific, NW, Idaho, Montana, etc) . If you are outside that area, then what?

Global Rescue provides services but you must be traveling at least 100 miles from home. Cost looked to be around $360/year. Also in the Member Services Agreement it says:

"Company shall not be under any obligation to provide Medical Transport Services if, in Company’s sole discretion: (i) the Traveling Member is not reasonably accessible and cannot be transported safely or is located in a region that is not safely accessible.."

In my opinion, a lot of language, such as "reasonably" and "safely", that provides an out on their part.

https://www.globalrescue.com/grmkt_r...r&source=grcom

The reason we want to buy insurance in the first place IS to cover the cost of a transport in an area that may not be easy to get to.

Mosby

WKR
Here is a listing of Air Ambulance companies and some brief information on the regions and states they cover. Not insurance per se but membership covers all related air transportation expenses. I researched the company that covers my home area and found that they belong to a much larger partnership with three other companies that covers multiple states including Colorado. Provides a significant amount of geographic coverage. Under $85 per year for an air transportation membership seems like a reasonable expense that I can live with compared to the amount they would charge without. Worst case is you have to join a couple of different memberships, depending on where you are hunting and how remote it is.

My brother is a spear fisherman on the west coast and belongs to an association with a couple thousand members. Someone collectivized and they pay a reduced premium for a group rate On life flight and other rescue insurance. Seemed like a smart idea. I wonder if you could pull it off for hunters.