Backcountry Keto

Any veteran keto guys out there with backcountry meal ideas? I'm not void of ideas but there's gotta be some knowledge out there. Always looking for great ideas.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider

Good link there.

Only to add foods that i like to pack that are admittedly not meals per se:
- 1/2 jar of plain, no-sugar-added peanut butter mixed with 1/2 jar worth of either butter or coconut oil. Add lite salt to taste. This keeps up the calories from the fat, but cuts down on the carbs per serving.
- hard cheeses
- cured meats: sopresatta, etc.
- pepitas
- jerky or biltong
- Atkins bars

I tried powdered eggs but they were atrocious.

I've yet to make Pemmican but that would be a great item to have.

i make a low carb “butthole sandwich”
low carb tortillas, bacon, natural peanut butter, and dark chocolate freeze dried strawberries. it is pretty amazing.
also always carry a Hungarian sausage link or two and that really hits the spot with some hard cheese.

i’m looking to try the next mile meals on an upcoming hunt as well

Marble

WKR
i make a low carb “butthole sandwich”
low carb tortillas, bacon, natural peanut butter, and dark chocolate freeze dried strawberries. it is pretty amazing.
also always carry a Hungarian sausage link or two and that really hits the spot with some hard cheese.

i’m looking to try the next mile meals on an upcoming hunt as well
I like those, but I want the carbs so I make it on a bagel.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
Pemmican has really become my staple the past couple seasons. It’s really simple to make and is probably the most calorie and nutrient dense food on the planet. I’m a minimalist and like to keep things simple. I don’t have to pack a jetboil and stop multiple times throughout the day to prepare food. I’ll sometimes take dried fruit if I’m crashing and need a little carb up but otherwise about 80% of my mountain food is pemmican

I vote for suck it up and eat some damn carbs. It’s a hunt, enjoy it.

Eat a butthole sandwich on a bagel and I guarantee you that you will have a smile on your face and energy in your feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
seldomseensmith
You guys moved this thread over here and no one will ever see it again. I had 5 responses in a matter of minutes. I didn't even know this sub forum existed. With all the nonsense that is tolerated in the general forum I can't believe you bothered. I was really hoping to get some good info and it looked as if I was.
Come on.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
You guys moved this thread over here and no one will ever see it again. I had 5 responses in a matter of minutes. I didn't even know this sub forum existed. With all the nonsense that is tolerated in the general forum I can't believe you bothered. I was really hoping to get some good info and it looked as if I was.
Come on.

Yeah but you also would have gotten more smart ass comments from butthole sandwich eating carb addicts

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking into Next Mile Meals too but haven't bought any yet.

I only do day trips here in the East, but I normally pack macadamia nuts, pecans, walnuts, cacao butter and maybe some jerky. Macadamias are my favorite. Almost perfect keto macros and calorie dense little suckers.

Those packets of nut butters are ok if you can find one not loaded with sugar. I'll probably just make my own this year in a little zip lock bag and use some allulose if I want it sweeter. Coconut butter is another favorite of mine. Eat straight, mix in cacao powder, nut butter, berries, crystallized lime powder...whatever you fancy.

I also take some sea salt to put in my water. I see no reason for carbs in the woods if you're on a ketogenic diet.

OP
seldomseensmith
Thanks all for the suggestions so far.
I've been researching for a couple days. I'll likely keep it simple for first few trips out.
Tonight I made peanut butter cookies that I think will travel well and be a nice snack/treat. I might go in a bit heavier than previously but whatever. Well worth it.
2798514b6f2f9685f9af3f03599b3d57.jpg

Azone

WKR
Pemmican has really become my staple the past couple seasons. It’s really simple to make and is probably the most calorie and nutrient dense food on the planet. I’m a minimalist and like to keep things simple. I don’t have to pack a jetboil and stop multiple times throughout the day to prepare food. I’ll sometimes take dried fruit if I’m crashing and need a little carb up but otherwise about 80% of my mountain food is pemmican

Sounds interesting. Would you mind sharing your method of making it, or is it a top secret recipe?

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds interesting. Would you mind sharing your method of making it, or is it a top secret recipe?
All I do is take lean meat, either ground or I’ll partially freeze a roast and cut it into thin slices. Put it on the dehydrator at the lowest setting and leave it until ALL the moisture is out of it. If there’s any moisture left in the meat it will spoil. Once the meat is dry I put small pieces in the blender and blend it into a fine powder. Next I render beef suet into tallow and separate the tallow from the cracklings. When rendering you want to keep the temp as low as possible to maintain the nutritional integrity of the fat. Let the tallow cool but not harden and mix with the meat powder. Play around with the consistency you like. I usually add a smaller amount of fat to start with. You can always add more in later. A couple things you can do to add micronutrients to your pemmican is to put either dried berries, organ meats or both into the mix. Once it’s all mixed together in a bowl I’ll throw it on a cookie sheet and put it in the fridge to harden. Some people like the taste and some thinks it’s the most disgusting food they’ve ever tasted. I’d make a small batch first to see if you like it

cmeyer733

FNG
All I do is take lean meat, either ground or I’ll partially freeze a roast and cut it into thin slices. Put it on the dehydrator at the lowest setting and leave it until ALL the moisture is out of it. If there’s any moisture left in the meat it will spoil. Once the meat is dry I put small pieces in the blender and blend it into a fine powder. Next I render beef suet into tallow and separate the tallow from the cracklings. When rendering you want to keep the temp as low as possible to maintain the nutritional integrity of the fat. Let the tallow cool but not harden and mix with the meat powder. Play around with the consistency you like. I usually add a smaller amount of fat to start with. You can always add more in later. A couple things you can do to add micronutrients to your pemmican is to put either dried berries, organ meats or both into the mix. Once it’s all mixed together in a bowl I’ll throw it on a cookie sheet and put it in the fridge to harden. Some people like the taste and some thinks it’s the most disgusting food they’ve ever tasted. I’d make a small batch first to see if you like it

After you cut it up, do you wrap individually? Any issues with tallow melting out when its warm? From what ive read elsewhere, it is very stable and long shelf live, correct?

OP
seldomseensmith
Currently dehydrating a "chili".
Pork sausage, elk roast meat, burger, onion, bell pepper, green chili.
I'll report back.
30566aa5bcea643f0f1c5629c73a2412.jpg

Sethmac

FNG
My easy goto is Fat Snax Keto Cookies (Peanut Butter is my favorite). Pick them up at Sprouts

Teejay

FNG
Any veteran keto guys out there with backcountry meal ideas? I'm not void of ideas but there's gotta be some knowledge out there. Always looking for great ideas.

I’m a fan of Next Mille meals. The Beef taco meal and a couple low carb tortillas is pretty dang good.

There’s good bone broth packets out there now too that you can get creative with and use for soups or just drink alone with your meal.

Single serve foil tuna packs are great to supplement a meal or snack on as well. I’m a fan of quick and easy when I’m out..no dishes and minimal clean up.