Backcountry Layering

holzgene

FNG
I'm looking to purchase a quality layering system. If you all could choose a few items to base a layering system off of what would they be? I'm looking to buy a few clothing items as a foundation, then add to them as the need arises.

xcutter

WKR
I like to start with merino wool as a base top and bottom if it is cold enough. Wool socks. Then goes my pants Prana Zion or Corrugate Guide Pant or Sitka Ascent Pant. Then a hoody like my Sitka Heavy weight or Klamath. When it starts to get real cold I put on a puffy or my rain jacket. Sometimes both. That's all I've found that I really need. This will keep me good into the 20 degree range.

OP
holzgene

holzgene

FNG
I like to start with merino wool as a base top and bottom if it is cold enough. Wool socks. Then goes my pants Prana Zion or Corrugate Guide Pant or Sitka Ascent Pant. Then a hoody like my Sitka Heavy weight or Klamath. When it starts to get real cold I put on a puffy or my rain jacket. Sometimes both. That's all I've found that I really need. This will keep me good into the 20 degree range.
I was looking pairing the FL Kiln and FS Wick crew as my base/mid layers. You have any experiences with these? Then like you said add a puffy/rain jacket when needed. I'm running the Eddie Bauer guide pros right now which I like but am already having stitching issues, those Corrugate Guide Pants look nice.

xcutter

WKR
I don't have the Kiln. I did just purchase a Wick crew. It will be a nice base layer as it is not too thick. So for me it should cover all the temps. I like running a fleece as my mid layer. More durable for busting brush and pack shoulder straps don't wear the material down as quick as a merino shirt would. Really like my Corrugate's. They are super tough and very stretchy so no binding when stepping over down fall and such. The Prana zion stretch pants are awesome as well. Seems like they tend to snag more on brush but they are hard to beat. Sometimes they can be had at some good prices. I've bought them online for around $30 before.

OP
holzgene

holzgene

FNG
I've heard everyone talk about how great the merino x base layers from first lite are, that's why I was looking at the Kiln. I would like some durability so I'll have to take a look at the Klamath. How does the grid fleece compare to merino in terms of warmth?

Sturgeon

WKR
Grid fleece will be warmer than a wool product of the same weight. It will also dry faster if wet.

I have both corrugates and zions. I'd say both of have held up well for the couple years I've used them. The pockets are better on the corrugates, but the fit of the zions is much better.

First Lite is a great company but IMO it's only worth it to get their base layer merino. Wool is just really heavy and dries slowly. I wear their wick stuff like it's my religion but I don't really care for the rest. Depending on what you are trying to do, the Sitka Ascent pant is really loud, and the FL corrugate isn't much better. The Sitka Apex pant is really quiet, and the hoody is a merino/poly combo which isn't too heavy. If you don't care about the noise, you might also consider the Fjallraven Abisko or Keb pant.