Backcountry Liver n Onion Recipe

Moserkr

WKR
Good Morning!

Buddy and I started taking the livers from our animals last year. I had never tried it and thought it was gross, but once I tasted it, I am now a convert. I dont want to waste parts of my animal that I or others will enjoy. So... buddy is still like I was and wont even try it. Plan is to bring a “liver kit” and make it in the field, and give my buddy s$!t if he doesnt try it hahaha. Theres no better time to put someone on the spot. Granted he is no push over, so theres a chance he just refuses. Anyone ever made this in the field?? We will be backpacking miles in and it seems pretty lightweight to pull off.

My thought- Dehydrated milk in a few small ziplock bags to soak it. Then a flour salt pepper baggie to give it a light coating. I can dehydrate onions and bring a little oil for a proper liver n onion fry. Thoughts?? Open to all suggestions. Thanks!

slvrslngr

WKR
Good for you, it's nice to hear that someone enjoys eating all of that they kill. I think a small container with butter or bacon grease would be better than oil, your plan is solid though. Personally, I've tried liver multiple times and just don't like it.

Cool idea. I have been searching for a good/lightweight after the kill meal for the backcountry. Second the bacon grease, and lots of it. And a titanium skillet.

• Banned
OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
@slvrslngr I was always on the fence and finally tried it. Ive eaten worse lol, but it was surprisingly good besides the odd smell and consistency. Wont argue that bacon grease is better than oil!! Makes everything better. Most interesting thing was what felt like a rush of nutrients and energy into my system. An elk liver is huge though, and I will most likely give a good portion of it away to the few people who like it. I get it that the majority do not.

@Jonathan Hemlock I usually just do some backstraps or heart on a lightweight 1 oz titaniun grill with salt and pepper. Will definitely bring a skillet. Just thought liver may be an different thing to try, and I want to mess with my friends haha.

Nice! I’m going to try that. Until recently my big problem has been how to cook meat in my Reactor and not have meat flavored coffee for months to come...

I’ve made liverwurst sausages (normal size casings) with a blend of bacon in it. That’s the best tasting liver I’ve found.

• Banned
OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
I will have to try the sausage with bacon. Sounds good. I never cook in my water pot. Used to just do willow skewers over an open fire. Fish isnt that easy though, which led me to the grill. Ruta locura makes it.

Sounds like you have a good plan let us know how it turns out. A little grease, titanium skillet and some seasonings shouldn't be much to carry around.

• Banned
OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
@Southforkguy Glad you all like the plan! Yup the weight penalty is not bad at all for the benefit. I will give it a try and report back months from now lol.

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
Great idea OP . I thought it was all in my head thinking I had boost of energy the next day after having my deer's liver this winter. Lots of nutrients in them,heart too. Eaten calves liver since I was a kid always onion ,bacon, and use that grease.

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
@ScottRK I noticed the energy instantly, but I had never had it before. My grandpa loves it and said he feels it too. Very rich and like you said - nutrient dense food. Looks like bacon grease is the ticket!