Backcountry Meat Care video

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was asked by UAF Arctic Biology to present "Mitigating Spoilage in the Backcountry"

Was suppose to deliver this in March but COVID smeared that plan....now scheduled for October 2, 2020 in Fairbanks via ZOOM.

However, It's solid Meat Care info that you might be able to use this season! Here it is:

Happy hunting this season!!

I was asked by UAF Arctic Biology to present "Mitigating Spoilage in the Backcountry"

Was suppose to deliver this in March but COVID smeared that plan....now scheduled for October 2, 2020 in Fairbanks via ZOOM.

However, It's solid Meat Care info that you might be able to use this season! Here it is:

Happy hunting this season!!

Awesome!! Thank you for making this.

Southeast

FNG
Incredibly helpful.

What are your thoughts on partially submerging quarters in heavy contractor trash bags to speed up initial cooling if the ambient temps are unusually warm?

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have submerged meat when it's warmer than 60F but only after equilibrium at 40-48 hours. If you do this before meat cools to near ambient averages, sweat evaporation will bathe your meat while inside the contractor bag.

It's doable but the water activity is really high, which is counter to my ultimate initial goal, so use it sparingly and very conscientiously during the first 12-18 hours because it's cooling fast anyway, I'd place my bet on best quality if you have to submerge, doing so after 36 hours if at all possible. Shade and airflow the first 12-18 hours works extremely well even in 70-80 F temps.

Interesting info on submerging. I have often considered it, but what you said makes good sense and is probably why I never see it mentioned...

That was a great and informative video. Thank you.
Just for poo and giggles, how many times did you hit that first moose and with what caliber? It just stood around like nothing was going on.

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
Larry, thanks for the video! Is there a reason for waiting to apply the citric acid? Seems like it would make sense to apply it as soon as the meat comes off the animal.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
50F is my threshold for citric acid fresh off the carcass. Blowflies are dormant at 48F and then can lay eggs at 50F.

If that's the case, i'll usually spray it fresh off the carcass, but only for flies not bacteria concerns. Bacteria can't replicate with unstable environments, so game meat is safe the first 48 hours due to rapid evaporation and unstable cellular chemistry (namely pH). So normally I wont use citric acid the first 2 days unless meat will be exposed to flies above 50F.

If you do use it, only apply every other day, then discontinue after day 4 to avoid damaging the surface by overusing citric acid. Meat may appear grayish brown when heavy doses are applied.

BTW, that moose came quietly into camp and nosed the willow i was using for thrashing calls. I shot him 15 feet from the tent through the willows, to at least make him run into the open vs backstep into the thick spruce. That 1st shot hit him high in the left lung, barely clipped it. Second shot was quartering away from me and I tried to get that right lung but hit the hind qtr, just barely...never found the jacket on that one. Third shot was a double lunger that caused his death. Messy freakin situation, but done in less than 60 seconds, so he wasn't stressed before death.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Someone asked on my Youtube channel about cold weather concerns, so i'll answer that here.

I've covered this is Project Bloodtrail and other meat care segments, so it wasn't included in this video.

"Cold shortening" is a permanent contraction (toughening) of the meat if frozen before rigor mortis has fully converted glucose to lactic acid, which takes 72 hours. Therefore, don't allow to freeze before day 3 post harvest, period. After 72 hours, freezing won't hurt the tenderness and will greatly reduce spoilage threats...

To keep from freezing, do the opposite of a normal scenario. Cover with a tarp, reduce airflow speed, cover entire meat cache with spruce or thicker willows....even use the hide itself or spoon with that hind quarter if you have to! Just keep it above 33F for 72 hours and you're good to go.

daddie63

WKR
Thanks for that video Larry, very informative. I was going to ask about the cold weather concerns also so thank you for answering that as well. Late season cow elk hunts had me wondering.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Y'all, I just learned that anyone from the public can join this presentation. So, if you want to join a live zoom discussion on this video and add to the post-chat Q&A, I would be honored to facetime you guys and gals. I assure you that there isn't an ounce of self promotion. The meat care skills I promote are my form of community service.

I especially welcome anyone with new information or those who disagree with any of this science. Anyway, here's the Institute of Arctic Biology's link to the presentation 411. The Zoom link is listed near the title. Remember this will be this Friday @ 4pm Alaska Time.

This is the only forum I'll post this offer to join in, but if you have friends who need the info feel welcome to pass it on.

LB