Backcountry meat care

Marble

WKR
You mean putting salt in the water, right?
It lowers the freezing point of the water.
My Coleman Xtreme from Walmart usually will have ice still in it a day or so longer than my buddies’ high end rotomold coolers that they just toss bagged ice in.
Yes salt lol. Thanks man!

When I went to ID last year, 6 days after loading frozen gallon jugs into the two yetis, the water was still frozen. I'll experiment this summer, maybe this spring since it's more like what the weather in ID is like in September.

I would like to get 10 to 12 days out of my first load of ice.

rbljack

WKR
Not a backcountry meat tip...but a cooler tip: Instead of using 1 gallon Frozen water jugs, I switched to the large Gatorade containers. they are still 1 gallon but the are somewhat "squared off" and stack nicely in the coolers. They also have handles on them which makes them convenient to work with. Like others mentioned...I freeze them and put them into the Yeti cooler. Those jugs stay frozen for a week easily if you aren't in and out of that cooler. I fill that cooler with these. The other benefits to this set up is you aren't actually putting your meat into melting ice, and you have extra water at the truck if needed (unless you add the salt to it)
ad65b491-ba05-41e0-8dba-544d6c3c0567_1.8c442cefbe1a19800c05ab61708b9c56.jpeg

Those Gatorade jugs are a great idea. The milk jugs from our Sams club are a nicer shape as well.

Sobrbiker

WKR
Another thing I do: When I mix up the salt water, I drop a big neon colored plastic party straw in the bottles with salt water. Let’s me bring some frozen fresh water and know which is which.
For bottles my fave are these AZ Iced Tea gallons: stackable on they’re sides, 05061EC3-4CD8-412F-9FF0-7909581DF58E.jpegalmost flat, and fit my cooler well.