Backcountry Mountain Biking on a Budget

OP
M

Mike7

WKR
I think the ultimate trailer for versatility would be something like a 2 wheeled game cart that was cut down to be narrow enough to fit on a single track and had a seatpost hitch that could easily be removed for use of the game cart also while hiking, and for quick removal to drag the trailer over logs. I think I saw somewhere on this forum where somebody had made their own seatpost hitch for game carts to turn them into trailers. It would be best if the trailer maintained the design allowing it to be easily pulled over 1-2 ft high logs. I would guess that a game trailer cut down to 17" wide from 30" wide would fit on most single tracks, but still be wide enough to maintain some stability and wide enough to throw a backpack on and game bags full of boned out meat for up to an entire elk? If I didn't already have a trailer, I think that I would try to build one of these.

jmez

WKR
I don't have much of a problem climbing with my full suspension bike. I had an older one that was terrible, would just fold up under you when you really started to dig. The newer Giant I have doesn't do that, suspension is different. I'll take the more comfortable ride, esp on really rocky trails. I'll never go back to a hardtail.

JeremiahH

WKR
My criticism of the full suspension isn't necessarily the climbing but the lack of ability to have a rear rack and panniers.

JeremiahH

WKR
Can't believe no one has posted pics yet... I would but Luke asked me not to post anymore pics of my bike.

I run a fat bike, last fall I did a trip with a walmart mongoose dolomite with a couple upgrades pulling a kiddy trailer my buddy was running a borealis pulling a Bob trailer. It was a shakedown hunt to figure gear out. A 1x7 with road gearing is not something I would wish on anyone. I have upgraded and now have a 9zero7 with a frame bag, gas tank bag, and bar yak setup and a handlebar bag (mount interferes with bar yak). Still looking at getting a seat bag and rear rack, I also have a Montana scabbard for when I get the rack. Upgrading to the Bob trailer is a must as well as single track and deep 4 wheeler ruts disagree with the kiddy carrier.
Why no more pictures ?
Just Curious. I have some pics of my set up. However none with game yet

Floorguy

WKR
Ok since no one else is posting pics.

Here is a pic from the shakedown hunt, we carried way to much stuff. My 'goose and kiddy cart and my buddies borealis and bob. Set up the price difference is only around 6 grand, difference in ride quality immeasureable.

2e35ed3d71ebec6d4158e64055b625df.jpg

Here is a shot of my 'goose and my 9zero7
77551d36b4ec9b866b266576cb63be8b.jpg

My 9zero7 with revelate frame bag, blackburn gas tank and fork mounted water bottles

a513f4bd0dbe226ed8986466e4ee9923.jpg

Then here are some shots of a copy of a bar yak

a6de8946c3f68b3d9e7787f80f6fa9ea.jpg
298ed958021e7455e2c559a474ebb819.jpg

JeremiahH

WKR
I guess budget is a relative term. I chose to go with a salsa mukluk 3.
Old man mountain rack
Axiom randonee water proof panniers
I did a lot of consumer research before going with my choices.
Salsa fat bikes come with braze ons and are very adaptable as opposed to a bike like the borealis which is full carbon and limits what you can do. Don't get me wrong the borealis is an awesome bike but I needed something a bit cheaper and adaptable.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1426008230400.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1426008230400.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 54

Floorguy

WKR
The borealis isn't mine and DOES come with rack mounts on the seat stays. In fact he has an ibera rack on it in the pics.

The dolomite on the other hand has no rack mounts weighed 50 lbs stock and wasn't geared for off flat paved trail usage. My 9zero7 is right in the middle price wise comes with rack mounts and is geared for actual riding.

I like the mukluks but went with the local company for my bike.

wapitibob

WKR
I think I'll see what Walmart has. Last years bull didn't care that his ride out was on a $125 bike. I'd like a fat bike and decent gearing for this year but $500 is about the limit.

Floorguy

WKR
Wapitibob the dolomite is what you would be looking for. The one above was $259 with tax. Get the shimano megarange freewheel it will give you a granny gear it is @$18. Lighter tubes go with 26" 2.4-2.7 @$10 each. Then get better tires craigslist is your friend the huskerdu and Larry were $50 for the set. The only other thing I would recommend is getting a mtb 3x square taper crankset for sub $30. You can just shift by hand to start with based on terrain. I switched out the fork to a white bros carbon but got a screaming deal on it for less than 1/3 retail.

wapitibob

WKR
Thanks Floor. I had glanced at that bike without knowing anything. It appears to be the "go to" base model then upgrade as money allows. Tons of upgrade info for it. Thanks again.

JeremiahH

WKR
For budget purposes, here are the prices i paid
My salsa is a 2014 and I picked up a clearance deal for just over $1500 after taxes. It's a solid bike, 6061 aluminum and great build with good shimano components I don't have to upgrade if I don't want.
My rack from old man mountain was around $125 shipped, i spoke with the guys down there (cali) before i ordered the rack. Confirmed with them my make and model so they could put together the the right rack package for me. Great bunch at old man mountain.
The bags I picked up off Amazon and they are 40L combined i believe. They were about $110 for the set.

If I could do it again I would take a hard look at an SE fat bike. Very solid build with solid components for $1000 price point. I saw one at my LBS and i was impressed for the money. I wasn't aware of them when I bought my salsa or I more than likely would have picked one up. Fwiw
http://www.sebikes.com/bikes/cat/mountain-series/f-e

Last edited:

Floorguy

WKR
Thanks Floor. I had glanced at that bike without knowing anything. It appears to be the "go to" base model then upgrade as money allows. Tons of upgrade info for it. Thanks again.
You would probably be ahead going with the mongoose vinson sold through sports authority and some others at around $500. If it had been available I probably wouldn't have upgraded bikes completely in 4 months.

As far as budget goes for my 9zero7 AK 10 build was 2799, upgraded to Dillenger 5's over 4's for free. Studded them myself the studs were 150. The pedals are race face aeffects $85. Frame bag was @$130 gas tank bag was @$40, bar yaks run @$180-200. The ibera rack I am getting will be @$30. Lights and Montana scabbard were gifts. I am looking at upgrading my saddle to a brooks c17 those are spend at $175.

You definitely don't need to spend that on a bike. I looked at what all I wanted in the bike and what I wanted to do with it, the list of bikes that fit got smaller and the price got higher.

I don't know much about SE, framed is another company to look at in the sub 1k group. Lots of people seem to be happy with them, however 2 people I know of have had issues with their bikes I don't know if the problems are systemic or these guys messed up wrenching on their bikes.

Last edited:

JeremiahH

WKR
The borealis isn't mine and DOES come with rack mounts on the seat stays. In fact he has an ibera rack on it in the pics.

The dolomite on the other hand has no rack mounts weighed 50 lbs stock and wasn't geared for off flat paved trail usage. My 9zero7 is right in the middle price wise comes with rack mounts and is geared for actual riding.

I like the mukluks but went with the local company for my bike.
Yeah I'm mistaken, i was thinking of the carbon beargrease not having rack mounts. I couldn't afford one anyways if they did but carbon would be sweet.
Is your 907 and your buddy's borealis both aluminum ?

Floorguy

WKR
My 9zero7 is aluminum the carbon was out of my price range. My buddies Borealis is carbon I don't think borealis has come out with a bike that wasn't carbon. Borealis is one of the few carbon bikes that has rack mounts, most other companies think that the integrity of the frame is weakened too much. Fatback's corvus has them if I remember correctly. I have carbon bars and seatpost, that's where it will probably end for me, my bike already costs mote than my daily driver. I can't recommend carbon bars and foam grips enough especially if temps drop.