BackCountry Navigator (How I made it do what I wanted)

robtattoo

WKR
Thanks Muleman! :D
I've followed your link & downloaded the World Imagery thing, but I cannot figure out how to move it from my Downloads to my bc/nav folder, or save it directly to the folder. Might have to take a trip to the Verizon store.....

wapitibob

WKR
Rooting the phone isn't a problem but no pc front end is almost a deal killer. Do you know the BCN map format? I'm wondering if mac2mapc has it covered?

It also looks like BCN will use any of the arcgis map services is that correct?

Last edited:
OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Rooting the phone isn't a problem but no pc front end is almost a deal killer. Do you know the BCN map format? I'm wondering if mac2mapc has it covered?

I don't but I bet Nathan the owner would discuss the map format with you. He is the one who told me how to edit the database so I could customize it for my needs. They do have a formal feature request process and the desktop request still doesn't show that it is planned.

http://support.crittermap.com/forums

wapitibob

WKR
I'll send him an email. I use ArcGis Explorer for Internet Scouting and TopoFusion for transfering imagery or topos to my Garmins Birdseye folder. I see a real advantage for an integrated system but so far nobody else seems to agree.

I appreciate the info

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
I'll send him an email. I use ArcGis Explorer for Internet Scouting and TopoFusion for transfering imagery or topos to my Garmins Birdseye folder. I see a real advantage for an integrated system but so far nobody else seems to agree.

I appreciate the info

I feel your pain, I would much rather digitally scout on a PC and seamlessly transfer that data to my phone. Right now I have to do a lot of manual processes to get the customized data setup in my phone.

I am very happy though, that BCN is a capable product that provides so many different map and imagery sources and the ability to accept my customizations.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
I heard OnX was doing a pc front end but they won't answer my pm's. I think I pissed them off when I said their iphone maps looked cheesy...

Muley, will BCN load this server?

http://www.geocommunicator.gov/ArcGIS/rest/services/SurfaceManagementAgency/MapServer

Spent some time on BCN and Mapc2Mapc will convert to BCN directly.

I recently got a deal on the OnX app and jumped on it to evaluate it. The world imagery I showed earlier in this thread through BCN is available in the OnX app but you cannot cache it for offline use in the OnX app.

As far as using the geo communicator sources, if you can get the URL parsed down to the format shown in the image below then it should be possible.

thr8cfoqidey26y

Good to know about Mapc. Right now I am really happy with the 2013 USFS topos and the digital globe imagery and haven't felt like I needed to tinker much more.

Last edited:
OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
I have been playing around with the OnXMaps android app and noticed a discrepancy between boundaries published by the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources (UDWR) and the boundary in the OnX app. I contacted UDWR and as it turns out the UDWR boundary is correct. While an issue like this could be resolved by OnX; it is a reminder of why I really like the flexibility in BCN. In BCN I have the ability to import the correct boundary and only the boundaries I want.

Now here's the rub with BCN, I have had a feature request into BCN for a while to have the ability to turn on and off user created layers and/or boundaries. As it stands right now, if I import a boundary into a trip file I cannot delete that boundary. Rather I have to create a new trip file and transfer waypoints and tracks into the new trip file. Then I have to delete the old trip file. While this work around is functional, I look forward for the ability to turn on and off and delete user created layers/boundaries in BCN.

Last edited: