Backcountry Nutrition

Give me your thoughts. I wanted to post this incase it would help someone.

See below, I put together a food list for a 5 day hunt. It can easily be adjusted for more or less food. It has all individual weights, total, calories, and total weight included.

NumberTypeCaloriesWeight ouncesIndividual weight ounces
4​
Peak Beef Stroganoff
810​
20​
5​
6​
1 ramen package
371​
18​
3​
6​
Redcon MRE Bar
260​
14.4​
2.39​
5​
Little Debbie Peanutbutter
420​
15.5​
3.1​
1​
Honey TBL SPN
64​
8​
8​
6​
Oatmeal packet isntant
160​
10.5​
1.75​
4​
Peak Breakfast skillet
640​
19.48​
4.87​
4​
Peak chickens and rice
740​
20.6​
5.15​
8​
PB toasty Crackers
180​
10.32​
1.29​
4​
Trail mix 4oz
450​
16​
4​
olive oil tbl spoon
119​
8​
8​
8​
liquid IV
45​
8​
1​
6​
tuna packet
70​
15.6​
2.6​
Total Calories Allowed Per Day
4,329​
Total Weight11.53 round up to 12lbs
Enough food for 4 days and come out on 5th day
18 additional small items to eat on the 5th day if you eat only 1 of each food every day as intended

AKA plenty

In my opinion you should do some calories per ounce calculations to see where some of those items listed fall short in giving the “best bang for buck” or in this instance the “most calories per ounce.”

I prefer ProBars. They give a lot of calories in a 3 ounce packet. Obviously if you don’t care about weight then it’s a mute point to do these calculations. It’s a great break down and not a thing wrong with it. Can it be improved, I.e. carry less weight and get the same or more calories out of it, yes. Just have to determine what your main goal is.

TheTone

WKR
Backpacking or truck camping? I’m always surprised how little I eat some days, especially if I’m day hunting.

OP
NashNative
Backpacking or truck camping? I’m always surprised how little I eat some days, especially if I’m day hunting.
This list is geared towards backpacking. Its for sure on the heavy side, I could easily knock off some weight but not much. I elected to keep the extra food because what I knocked off saved very little. I also geared this list towards a good Protein, Carb, and fat balance. Its amazing how you can add extra fat calories with olive oil mixed in your food or extra card/sugar calories in a table spoon of honey.

Definitely open to any and all suggestions even if its less food so you have less weight.
In my opinion you should do some calories per ounce calculations to see where some of those items listed fall short in giving the “best bang for buck” or in this instance the “most calories per ounce.”

I prefer ProBars. They give a lot of calories in a 3 ounce packet. Obviously if you don’t care about weight then it’s a mute point to do these calculations. It’s a great break down and not a thing wrong with it. Can it be improved, I.e. carry less weight and get the same or more calories out of it, yes. Just have to determine what your main goal is.
I am going to look into this. I didn't view it in that light I just added up high calorie foods I thought could meet my goal.

OP
NashNative

See the calorie/ounce breakout as mentioned....I assumed 1 tbl spoon of honey/olive was 1 ounce could shave a pound getting rid of those and never miss it or just the honey and save 1/2 pound! Great suggestion.

NumberTypeCaloriesWeight ouncesIndividual weight ouncesCalories/ounce
4​
Peak Beef Stroganoff
810​
20​
5​
162​
6​
1 ramen package
371​
18​
3​
123​
6​
MRE Bar
260​
14.4​
2.39​
108​
5​
420​
15.5​
3.1​
135​
1​
Honey TBL SPN
64​
8​
8​
64​
6​
Oatmeal packet isntant
160​
10.5​
1.75​
91​
4​
Peak Breakfast skillet
640​
19.48​
4.87​
131​
4​
Peak chicekn and rice
740​
20.6​
5.15​
143​
8​
PB toastyCrackers
180​
10.32​
1.29​
139​
4​
Trail mix 4oz
450​
16​
4​
112​
olive oil tbl spoon
119​
8​
8​
119​
8​
liquid IV
45​
8​
1​
6​
tuna packet
70​
15.6​
2.6​
26​
4,329​
18 additional small items to eat on the 5th day if you eat only 1 of each food every day as intended

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
Looks good to me as far as keeping you fed and fit. The only thing I'd say is to consider adding in some small packets of high- caloric, good tasting stuff you can throw into anything, like nut butter packets, jerky, bacon bits, shredded beef, tuna, dried fruit or coconut butter. As mentioned above, all have good calorie-to-weight ratios, so you won't regret packing them. Salmon-topped ramen or oatmeal with jerky, dried figs and peanut butter may sound like trash, but by day six I could convince myself to start bottling and selling stuff like that.

If you like to cook, I highly recommend a dehydrator, which will give you that much more control, in addition to bringing last year's venison along with you. I've enjoyed my own meals more than anything freeze-dried, but they take longer to prepare both ahead of time and in the field, so it probably has to be something you like independently of hunting.

OP
NashNative
Looks good to me as far as keeping you fed and fit. The only thing I'd say is to consider adding in some small packets of high- caloric, good tasting stuff you can throw into anything, like nut butter packets, jerky, bacon bits, shredded beef, tuna, dried fruit or coconut butter. As mentioned above, all have good calorie-to-weight ratios, so you won't regret packing them. Salmon-topped ramen or oatmeal with jerky, dried figs and peanut butter may sound like trash, but by day six I could convince myself to start bottling and selling stuff like that.

If you like to cook, I highly recommend a dehydrator, which will give you that much more control, in addition to bringing last year's venison along with you. I've enjoyed my own meals more than anything freeze-dried, but they take longer to prepare both ahead of time and in the field, so it probably has to be something you like independently of hunting.
At 1.15 oz and 220 for one packet of nut butter I will more than likely be adding this and taking out some other things.
Coconut butter 1.06 oz and 197 calories I will likely use it as well.

Great suggestion thanks

Btaylor

WKR
It is a struggle for me to get much more than 3000 cal down per day in the mountains. 4300+ would just be extra weight. But I mostly like your list except you dont have any damn coffee on there. What kind of hunter are you anyway? :D

OP
NashNative
I have honestly thought about cutting it back to 3-3500 or taking almost exclusively peak meals. Also I haven’t decided between BRCC instant packets or BRCC steep bags. Something tells me the steep bags would be better.

OP
NashNative
It is a struggle for me to get much more than 3000 cal down per day in the mountains. 4300+ would just be extra weight. But I mostly like your list except you dont have any damn coffee on there. What kind of hunter are you anyway? :D

ja2mak

FNG
After eating the Peak meals for 10 days straight in September, I’m not sure my stomach will ever be the same. They tasted great, just didn’t agree with my digestive system.

OP
NashNative
After eating the Peak meals for 10 days straight in September, I’m not sure my stomach will ever be the same. They tasted great, just didn’t agree with my digestive system.
I don’t like the way this sounds lol

Marble

WKR
Give me your thoughts. I wanted to post this incase it would help someone.

See below, I put together a food list for a 5 day hunt. It can easily be adjusted for more or less food. It has all individual weights, total, calories, and total weight included.

NumberTypeCaloriesWeight ouncesIndividual weight ounces
4​
Peak Beef Stroganoff
810​
20​
5​
6​
1 ramen package
371​
18​
3​
6​
Redcon MRE Bar
260​
14.4​
2.39​
5​
420​
15.5​
3.1​
1​
Honey TBL SPN
64​
8​
8​
6​
Oatmeal packet isntant
160​
10.5​
1.75​
4​
Peak Breakfast skillet
640​
19.48​
4.87​
4​
Peak chickens and rice
740​
20.6​
5.15​
8​
PB toasty Crackers
180​
10.32​
1.29​
4​
Trail mix 4oz
450​
16​
4​
olive oil tbl spoon
119​
8​
8​
8​
liquid IV
45​
8​
1​
6​
tuna packet
70​
15.6​
2.6​
4,329​

AKA plenty
Too much food for me.

I pre pack mine and plan for breakfast and coffee, about 800 cal. and a big dinner.

Snacks that can include the following:

Jerky
Trail mix
Bobo bars
Honey waffle
Some cliff bars

Then I always carry a green belly bar in my pack just in case.

So two full meals, with snacks all day. One 700 calorie meal always ready just in case.

3 liters of water minimum

At least one electrolyte pack daily.

Some of my meals at night are 2 servings and 1100 calories.

I have preferred backpackers pantry for awhile. They seem to check all the boxes for me.

If I can get around 2500 calories daily I'm good.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Titan_Bow

WKR
I like to make most of my stuff, mainly to be able to keep tabs on sodium content. But I usually end up at around 2800-3000calories per day. I can tailor that for my activity level and weather as well (ie. more calories for rugged mountains, long hikes in, really cold, etc.).
I make a breakfast mix from 2 packs of oatmeal, hemp hearts, butter powder, dried fruit, walnuts. It’s 500 calories, and I’ll have an instant chai tea, 140 cal. Middle of the morning I usually have a bar, either homemade or Clif Builder bar, 300 cal. For lunch I’ll have dried fruit , 350cal, 2 packs of peanut butter on a sandwich thin with honey or jelly (600 cal). Afternoon, I’ll have another bar and finish off the trail mix or jerky I make for each day 600 or so cals. For dinner I’ll have a dehydrated meal I made, they are usually 600 to 700 cal each. I pack each days meal in a gallon ziplock and get all the air out of it. They come out a touch over 2 lbs per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NashNative
I like to make most of my stuff, mainly to be able to keep tabs on sodium content. But I usually end up at around 2800-3000calories per day. I can tailor that for my activity level and weather as well (ie. more calories for rugged mountains, long hikes in, really cold, etc.).
I make a breakfast mix from 2 packs of oatmeal, hemp hearts, butter powder, dried fruit, walnuts. It’s 500 calories, and I’ll have an instant chai tea, 140 cal. Middle of the morning I usually have a bar, either homemade or Clif Builder bar, 300 cal. For lunch I’ll have dried fruit , 350cal, 2 packs of peanut butter on a sandwich thin with honey or jelly (600 cal). Afternoon, I’ll have another bar and finish off the trail mix or jerky I make for each day 600 or so cals. For dinner I’ll have a dehydrated meal I made, they are usually 600 to 700 cal each. I pack each days meal in a gallon ziplock and get all the air out of it. They come out a touch over 2 lbs per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like this. It’s light I’m probably going to cut back I just like to be prepared. I’ll be in SW Colorado 2nd rifle so really rugged and cold. I plan on hitting the wilderness and getting a ways back and high.