Backcountry Outfitted Hunt - CO or MT?

Lifelong bird hunter, adult onset elk hunter. Actually, I've yet to hunt elk, but I am presently accumulating the gear and will go in 2022. I have zero big game hunting experience and so it follows that I am greener than green when it comes to western hunting. I am resolved to go on a backcountry hunt, horses and wall tents and all that, in either CO or Montana. What are your opinions of each state, where I should go, and even better, outfitter reviews. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

PNWGATOR

WKR
Do you have any bonus or preference points anywhere? If not, buy them now in WY and MT to give you a better opportunity for the hunt you’re after.

Research everything you can on hunting elk in the Thorofare in WY. Yellowstone Outfitters and Triangle X come to mind.

brn2hnt

WKR
That dream hunt is different to everyone. But to me, it’s the idea of the mountain man style experience. The nostalgia of hunting the same areas I read about as a kid, from both fictional and real accounts.

That means I want grizzly bears and big bulls. Which means WY or MT.

Way more barriers to entry in WY, so that would be first, MT second. That’s my “someday” hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J
I have a few Wyoming points - accumulating for a specific high points limited quota. 1 MT point.

tdhanses

WKR
I have a few Wyoming points - accumulating for a specific high points limited quota. 1 MT point.
You do know they currently are proposing cutting nonresident tag allocations in half in WY for limited quota hunts, if you don’t have 20+ pts doubt you’ll ever draw. Next year could be your best time to use them.

Deadfall

WKR
A good tell tell sign of what kind of outfit you dealing with is how booked they are. If a place has lots of openings, I would be wary. With draw systems now and life, holes do open up. All in all the better places will be booked a year in advance

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
Colorado and i would contact Tel Gates with Rivers Bend Outfitters they are in the Meeker, CO area and offer drop camp hunts exactly as you were describing. He was the most professional outfitter and guide i have ever used. PM for more details or his contact info

OP
J
You do know they currently are proposing cutting nonresident tag allocations in half in WY for limited quota hunts, if you don’t have 20+ pts doubt you’ll ever draw. Next year could be your best time to use them.
I didn't know that. That is certainly something to consider.

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
If looking at Montana, I would stray away from any outfitter in the Northwest portion of the state. The country is absolutely gorgeous and you would definitely get the "experience" but elk densities, and ultimately success rates, are low. If it was me I would be looking at the Thorofare in Wyoming just based on what I've read on here from people who have done it. I don't know anything about Colorado.

Airborne1

Lil-Rokslider
I dont want to hijack the thread but you got a link to read up on this.

tdhanses

WKR
I dont want to hijack the thread but you got a link to read up on this.

Wapiti1

WKR
Montana's best is on outfitted ranches, IMO. CO has better wilderness backcountry hunting, again, IMO. It used to be the Bob, Absaroka Beartooth and Lee Metcalf in MT were the ticket, but wolves have altered that somewhat. You can still have a good hunt in those places, but the game numbers aren't what they were.

Sun Canyon Lodge runs hunts into the Bob and has been at it for a long time. If you want a full rundown on Montana opportunities, I'd suggest you call Atchesons in Butte and talk to them about MT.

Flat Tops Wilderness Guides (Cliff Gray) in CO, or Compass West (Chris Guikema) in CO would be two that I would look at. Both have backcountry hunts that are well done and have good success for average bulls. I have hunted with Chris, but only know Cliff Gray by reputation and research.

Jeremy

OP
J
If looking at Montana, I would stray away from any outfitter in the Northwest portion of the state. The country is absolutely gorgeous and you would definitely get the "experience" but elk densities, and ultimately success rates, are low. If it was me I would be looking at the Thorofare in Wyoming just based on what I've read on here from people who have done it. I don't know anything about Colorado.
Thanks. I'd love to do a Bob hunt, and Sun Canyon seems like a solid bet. For me, I figure that worst case scenario, I spend a week in the mountains. Best case, bring home meat and horns. That said, I could take the same trip in the summer without the gear piling up and the weekly trip to gun range, so I would like a good opportunity to harvest an elk.

OP
J
Montana's best is on outfitted ranches, IMO. CO has better wilderness backcountry hunting, again, IMO. It used to be the Bob, Absaroka Beartooth and Lee Metcalf in MT were the ticket, but wolves have altered that somewhat. You can still have a good hunt in those places, but the game numbers aren't what they were.

Sun Canyon Lodge runs hunts into the Bob and has been at it for a long time. If you want a full rundown on Montana opportunities, I'd suggest you call Atchesons in Butte and talk to them about MT.

Flat Tops Wilderness Guides (Cliff Gray) in CO, or Compass West (Chris Guikema) in CO would be two that I would look at. Both have backcountry hunts that are well done and have good success for average bulls. I have hunted with Chris, but only know Cliff Gray by reputation and research.

Jeremy
Do you have personal experience with Flat Tops Wilderness Guides?