Backcountry pack organization

Samwise

FNG
I was wondering what you guys use to organize your pacs on multi day hunts. Do you just stuff things in, use stuff sacks, roll up water proof sacks, plastic bags, or a combo of all. Also how big of a sack would you use for food and cook gear for 3 days.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

OldGrayJB

WKR
I use a 35 liter Sea to Summit dry sack for my food. It's bigger than you would need for 3 days but very light. Each days food is in individual gallon ziploc bags inside the dry sack.

I have load cells from mystery ranch that I use in my crew cab. One for my sleep system and clothes, one for chow. My lid carries my hammock and tarp.

Drenalin

WKR
I keep gloves, beanie, headlamp, spoon, coffee, water filter and dirty bag in the lid of my pack. Rangefinder, phone, and maybe some miscellaneous stuff in the hipbelt pockets. Tarp goes in the hydration sleeve inside the pack along with my 3 liter bladder. Sleeping bag and pad get stuffed in the bottom of my pack, no stuff sacks. If I'm pressed for space, I'll put these in a Kifaru 5 string sack.

My cookset fits in a Toaks 650 cup and I wrap a rubber band over that to keep the lid on. Kill kit is in a medium Kifaru UL pullout. Possibles in a small Kifaru UL pullout. Food for each day is in a gallon Ziploc. I just smash them in there. All this goes on top of the sleeping bag, and clothes get stuffed in the dead space. Thermarest Z-seat goes on the front of the pack behind the compression straps (going to swap this out for an orange pad for rifle season). Trekking poles in right side pocket, tripod (if carrying) in the left side pocket.

Binos on my chest, rifle in my hand. Might add a Kifaru gun bearer this year.

- Sleep gear in the bottom in a kifaru compression sack
- shelter in a stuff sack
- clothing in a compression sack
- food in a stuck sack
- cooking gear has its own sacks
- I use an OR outdoor organizer for misc camp gear that I want easy ready access to like hygene stuff and first aid.
- possibles sack holds other misc gear like extra batteries, repair kits and stuff.
- quick access stuff goes in top pocket and outside pouches.

i am not a fan of strapping a lot of gear outside my pack but it happens.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Litesmith Nyloflume pack liner for down quilt, pillows, and down puffy. Stays in the pack with puffy during the day.

Hilltop packs large DCF bear bag for food.

Kifaru Med UL pullout for gloves, socks, sock liners, pair of underwear. Another XS UL pullout for sundries: Leuko tape, caffeine tabs, ibuprofen, bandage kit. These stay in tent.

Xmid 2p has its own stuff sack that I’ll use to pack in/out.

Cook kit is nested inside 750 ML pot with sleeve.

Am not using a stuff sack for pad. Read somewhere that folding repeatedly into stuff sacks causes wear/pin holes. Am rolling down it’s length then placing on top in main bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
A combo of lightweight mesh draw string bags (Sea to Summit I think) and large zip locks. I use the lid for quick to grab stuff with one mesh bag inside with an emergency kit. Sleeping bag and tent are just stuffed inside main bag, sleeping pad has its own sack.

Mosby

WKR
I use freezer bags for things I want to keep dry, some ultra light Granite Gear and just got some Kifaru pullouts to try. I put my food in an Ursack bag. I like to stay organized.

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I've recently started using velcro one-wrap to keep my clothes and sleeping pad rolled up tight, as well as keeping my tent poles and stakes together. It also saved me a tiny bit of weight since I was able to ditch the bags they came in. I could definitely use some more tips about pack organization though.

SonnyDay

WKR
I’m a fan of stuff sacks and pockets to keep like things together. Another tip is to ALWAYS put stuff in the same places. If you have the ability to pack your actual gear for training hikes, this helps you learn the system. Otherwise if you’re diligent about putting stuff in the same place every time you generally learn where every last thing is by day 2 or 3 of your hunt. Also: kinda goofy, but I name the pockets of my pack and write those names in sharpie somewhere on the pocket. Then when I put stuff in that pocket I make up some little saying for why my extra socks are going in the “Boreas” pocket (or whatever).

hunterjmj

WKR
I use Sea to Summit lightweight dry bags in different colors that I use for different things. 1L for a couple small tools, batteries, xtra knife, extra light and a small rag. 2L for my kill kit. 3L Red for my first aid/survival stuff. 4L for extra clothes. I also use a stuff sack for food. I don't like loose stuff in my pack and the colors make it quick to find. When it's 0° and the wind is blowing it's nice to get what you need quickly so you can get back to trying to stay warm. My headlamp is always close by in my bino harness so I don't have to remove my pack.