Backcountry packing gear list?

GMO44

FNG
I am going to be doing a first time apprenticeship with an elk outfitter doing pack trips this summer to learn the ropes. I am trying to put together a gear list of everything I need for multiple day trips. Also what things can I go cheap on and what should I splurge on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

GMO44

FNG
When I say packing I mean packing horses and mules.

wyosteve

WKR
I would 'splurge' on the best boots and raingear you can afford. Oh, and some leather gloves would be on my 'essential' list.

OP
G

GMO44

FNG
I would 'splurge' on the best boots and raingear you can afford. Oh, and some leather gloves would be on my 'essential' list.

I'm heavily leaning towards packer boots. Not sure weather to go insulated or uninsulated.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
For summer trips you don't need insulated boots. September is still plenty hot for me in uninsulated boots. Insulated boots wouldn't come into play until the later rifle season IMO. Main thing is find some boots that fit your foot good and have enough support...and don't wedge them into the stirrups, you want to be able to quickly dismount.

cowboy300

WKR
-Leather uninsulated boots either with waterproof liner(goretex, etc or weatherproofed with boot conditioner, snow seal, etc) that has a good grippy tread pattern (no slick leather soles). In the mountains in the mornings you will usually have some sort of dew or moisture. If you need ankle support go with lace up cowboy boots if not go with pull on. Bring a pair of camp shoes or tent shoes. Wear them when you dry/air out your regular boots and to give your feet a break.
- Couple pair of socks/underwear - you can cheap out here wear whats comfortable. If you get wet just change them
- 2 pairs of shirts/pants
-vest/sweatshirt/coat
-saddle slicker- will do everything you will need out of rain gear you can get a good one for $80
- hat/ cheap sunglasses/ headlamp
- sleeping clothes? nice but not necessary makes it easier to keep your bag clean and sleep better
- comfortable sleeping bag- you can go cheaper here just make sure its comfy/warm. Weight/size doesnt matter mules got to pack it haha
-2 pairs of gloves- 1 to use 1 to lose haha
- toiletries/ personal items

All that should fit in a medium duffle (except sleeping bag) and should get you started. You will find out what works for you and what doesn't after a few trips.

OP
G

GMO44

FNG
-Leather uninsulated boots either with waterproof liner(goretex, etc or weatherproofed with boot conditioner, snow seal, etc) that has a good grippy tread pattern (no slick leather soles). In the mountains in the mornings you will usually have some sort of dew or moisture. If you need ankle support go with lace up cowboy boots if not go with pull on. Bring a pair of camp shoes or tent shoes. Wear them when you dry/air out your regular boots and to give your feet a break.
- Couple pair of socks/underwear - you can cheap out here wear whats comfortable. If you get wet just change them
- 2 pairs of shirts/pants
-vest/sweatshirt/coat
-saddle slicker- will do everything you will need out of rain gear you can get a good one for $80
- hat/ cheap sunglasses/ headlamp
- sleeping clothes? nice but not necessary makes it easier to keep your bag clean and sleep better
- comfortable sleeping bag- you can go cheaper here just make sure its comfy/warm. Weight/size doesnt matter mules got to pack it haha
-2 pairs of gloves- 1 to use 1 to lose haha
- toiletries/ personal items

All that should fit in a medium duffle (except sleeping bag) and should get you started. You will find out what works for you and what doesn't after a few trips.

I have an old duster of my dads. If I rub that down with duck back could I use that for rain gear?

rayporter

WKR
some good things bear repeating;

a tread on your shoes
a head lamp-you will be working in the dark. [maybe 2 head lamps]
gloves [and tape for your fingers]

OP
G

GMO44

FNG
some good things bear repeating;

a tread on your shoes
a head lamp-you will be working in the dark. [maybe 2 head lamps]
gloves [and tape for your fingers]

I think I'm going to get a pair of packers with vibram soles.

If you chew take twice what you think you need plus a spare can in you're saddle bags. I've seen it enough times of newbies think the game plan they were told is the one that actually happens and end up running out. Nic fitting in the backcountry is good entertainment for guys like me that don't chew to watch, but it's not something you'd want to go through.

The rest of the list is already pretty well addressed.

OP
G

GMO44

FNG
Maybe the outfitter your going to be apprenticing for can give you an idea...

He just said, good rain gear, good sleeping bag, comfortable boots, and duffel bag. He also said I'm aloud to pack in 50lbs

WKR
Is a cot provided? If not, I'd be buying one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

blick

FNG
Personal sized 100% deet and sunscreen for the saddle bags. Chinks can save a few pair of jeans if brushy or pulling a string a lot. Water bottle with small opening, nalgene does not work while riding. Sunglasses and back up sunglasses. A good camera that is accessible at all times. Don't forget the ridiculous western wear to impress the dudes.