Backcountry Pillows

Pro953

WKR
Who here brings a pillow (inflatable) into the backcountry? Over the years I just rolled up my puffy or fleece and used that as a pillow. Sleep is becoming more important and harder to come by with age, wondering if any of the inflatable pillows are worth it, or just a silly gimmick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the sea to summit Aeros ultralight pillow and really like it.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
They can be nice. I have an Exped pillow, and it does not come along much. However, I take my wifes Sea to Summit pillow every chance I get. I'v not tried to figure out we, but I don't find the Exped worth carrying, it just is not that comfortable.

tdot

WKR
It seems over the last 4-5 years I've gone from rolled up clothes which worked 100% fine for 2+ decades, to a regular stuff sack with clothes to a HMG pillow stuff sack, stuffed with my down puffy, to this camping season I've been trying various dedicated pillows. Not yet sure which one will make the cut, but I'll definitely be taking a dedicated inflatable pillow that also has foam in it. Sleep has been significantly better over the last couple nights out.

xcutter

WKR
Klymit X pillow isn't bad. Only complaint is I like it filled up with air when laying on my back but not as full when belly sleeping.

rclouse79

WKR
I splurged for the sea to summit Aeros before my spring bear trip. It seemed expensive for what it was, but I had zero buyers remorse after the trip. Once I got the right amount of air, it was almost as good as my pillow at home.

mlgc20

WKR
I'm ultralight in just about all my gear choices. But, my pillow system is not somewhere I worry about weight. I carry the Exped XL air pillow. I slip that into a customer pillowcase that I had made. And then I put my puffy in the pillow case on top of the air pillow. This gives me the pillow height I need as a side sleeper and the down puffy gives the cushion. The pillowcase is made of microfleece, so it's nice and soft. And it has straps that I can attach it to my quilt to keep it from moving around. As a result, I sleep great in the backcountry.

Below are a couple of pictures of what my pillow ends up looking like from both sides. Don't judge my dancing monkeys. My daughter was 2 at the time and she picked out the pattern. And I love it.
Pillow1.jpgPillow2.jpg

Puffy works great until its cold enough you want to wear it to sleep.

I tried the sea to summit aeros deluxe i think.
It was honestly a little large. It was to big to put in the hood of my bag to keep it from sliding off.

The x pillow is cheap and ok but I have to put a shirt over it because the material grabs my hair somehow.

I want to try the seas to summit aeros down. But just always have something else to spend money on.

Jimss

WKR
I'm constantly searching ways to drop ounces of wt and bulk off my back rather than more. I always use my jacket for a pillow. I'm so tired at the end of the day that I have no problem falling asleep.

I have a few of the Outdoor Vitals pillows. If you look around you might find the “free” pillow link from them. You can get up to two if you pay shipping. They are very light and a decent pillow. They also make for an awesome butt pad. Yes, they are that durable.

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
Seems like the sea to summit is the Cadillac option. Do you fill it 100% or is it better at 80%?

For those that stick with the puffy, more power to you. I just find these days I hunt so much better with a good night of sleep.

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Sea To Summit Aeros. I use the premium version in size large. I usually fill to 90% but it's really personal preference. Try different fill rates to see what you like best.

Sea to Summit Aeros user here too. Tried the clothes in a pullout and just never slept well. The S2S fits perfectly in the hood of my Slick Bag. Can’t imagine not bringing it with me up the Mtn.

I think I've been through them all and found the filo elite luxury to be the winner. It goes where I go.

FlyGuy

WKR
Sea-to-summit is sooooo nice. I am a stomach and side sleeper and it makes all the difference. I use the XL with my quilt, and the S stuffs well inside the hood of my mummy bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro