Backcountry pocket knife

mcr-85

WKR
I have a Tyto in a kill kit bag and I also have a havalon I have used. I always have a Case Trapper or Case Mini Trapper on me tho. My Case Trapper broke down a spike bull Saturday night as I was hurrying to get to him before dark and didn't take a pack. I just had the pocket knife with me.

Firehawk

WKR
Benchmade 565 Mini Freak for me. I have lost so many knives over the years that I had to "prove" to myself that I wouldn't lose my $115 knife. carrying it everyday. So...I got it for Christmas last year, and then wore my Browning knife nearly every day for 9 months. My mini freak is now my EDC and I haven't lost it. It is very sharp and easy to carry.

boom

WKR
Recent California blackout has mr drop this in my pocket. Took care of a lot of business with it. It’s outstanding.

It might make make deer camp this year.

Attachments

• 19CF0F19-1741-482D-81C4-23EC9A2ECC61.jpeg
    19CF0F19-1741-482D-81C4-23EC9A2ECC61.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 54
I may end up selling my regular manix 2 to get the manix lightweight in s110v. I love my regular manix 2 In s30, but that lightweight just checks all the boxes and great steel. Really not priced outrageous either.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
Recent California blackout has mr drop this in my pocket. Took care of a lot of business with it. It’s outstanding.

It might make make deer camp this year.

Great tool! My Swiss Spirit also got some uses during the California blackout, and not just the bottle opener! I'll be sticking around camp, as it's a bit heavy for the trail for my uses.

boom

WKR
Great tool! My Swiss Spirit also got some uses during the California blackout, and not just the bottle opener! I'll be sticking around camp, as it's a bit heavy for the trail for my uses.

....but mostly the bottle opener. hahah. that mundane steel in the knife gets wildly sharp. i hung cork-boards at my office by angering a starter hole and powering the screw with the Spirit X screwdriver. no electricity can suck it.

it is a tad heavy. the box cutter chisel thing is fantastic; a great idea.

I carry an ESSE Avispa as my backcountry pocket knife. It is inexpensive and holds an excellent edge and the blade shape is useful for almost anything. I also always have a fixed blade on my pack belt so the Avispa is just for around light chores and whittling. The fixed blade for skinning and batoning wood for the stove,

Michael54

WKR
I actually went a different route than most here it seems. I have a small fixed blade bark river psk in elmax. (It's tiny) With the leather sheath it comes with its a perfect pocket knife for me. I also have a kydex sheath i made for it with some paracord and a ferro rod on it for if i want to throw it around my neck instead on a backwoods hunt.

What about emersons ? the chisel grind models take a lot of headache out of field sharpening.
I would not recommend a chisel grind for general use. I found that the asymmetric shape makes the edge bite in and cut in a manner that is very different than a traditional grind and wasn't ideal for everyday use. There is probably a reason you only see a chisel grind on very specific edges of wood working tools.

Trial153

WKR
Small Doizer tab lock trapper, if an orginal is too rich for your blood take a look at the AG Russsl collaborate of the same knife.

Totoro

WKR
How much are you willing to spend?

Are you going to sharpen yourself or send back?

Tip down, tip up, flipper?

My go to knives are all Dozier in D2 for both fixed and folder.

For back-backcountry, then Bark River or Grayman.