Backcountry power source

OR Archer

WKR
Looking for recommendations on a good charger for my phone while on hunts. I’ve tried several different battery packs with little success. Same goes for solar chargers. Looking at the Dark Energy Poseidon but wanted some opinions before buying one.

K

Kootenay Hunter

OP
OR Archer

OR Archer

WKR
For $30 bucks it’s not bad gamble. If it works as advertised you could get a couple more and be set. Going to try one now

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Anker brand power packs are pretty solid and if you watch amazon can often be gotten at good prices (10000mAh for $20 for instance normally $30). The 5000-67000mAh banks will charge a phone at least once or top it off a couple times. If you want to charge 2 devices at once (phone and inreach for instance) some have dual ports. Size/weight/cost vs capacity is what it comes down to.

In our house we have a couple of the 5000mAh ones from a few years back ($10 sale), I recently got a 20000mAh one for $30 to swap out for the wife's 10000mAh dual port that I wanted since I added an inreach to my gear.

I was contemplating this Aukey one the other day prior to swapping banks with the wife: Amazon.com: AUKEY Powerbank 10000mAh, Portable Charger Slimline Design with Dual-USB Output Battery Pack for iPhone X/8/Plus, Samsung Galaxy S9/Note 8 and More: Cell Phones & Accessories

Backyard

WKR
I have and use the Goal Zero. I like it. I leave the stick attached to the panel when I leave camp in the morning and its fully charged when I get back in the evening. Although it only takes a couple hours to fully charge from almost zero to full anyway. I've got the unit below and just take the power stick and panel when hunting, weighs about 16 oz. total. I use the rest of the goodies when I'm motorcycle camping with the wife.

Switch 10 Multi-Tool Solar Kit Switch 10 Multi-Tool Kit / Goal Zero

ShawnStonefly

Lil-Rokslider
Really enjoyed the Poseidon, goes with me on all my work travel and outdoors. Been using it consistently for more than a year and it hasn't died on me yet. Alittle heavier and pricer than some of the equivalent Ankers.

Bl704

WKR
I picked up the Anker 20100 on either a Black Friday or Prime day a few years back for like $25. Keeping these & batteries warm (to the extent possible) will also extend life.

Portable Charger Anker PowerCore 20100mAh - Ultra High Capacity Power Bank with 4.8A Output, External Battery Pack for iPhone, iPad & Samsung Galaxy & More (Black) Amazon.com: Portable Charger Anker PowerCore 20100mAh - Ultra High Capacity Power Bank with 4.8A Output, External Battery Pack for iPhone, iPad & Samsung Galaxy & More (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Beendare

WKR
I've been seriously eyeballing the Anker model. Goal zero is a little too pricey IMO, it's a branding thing.

Amazon.com: Anker PowerCore 10000, One of the Smallest and Lightest 10000mAh External Batteries, Ultra-Compact, High-speed Charging Technology Power Bank for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy and More: Cell Phones & Accessories

This has gotten really good reviews and they supposedly use Panasonic CR18650 batteries.

For the price of the 'name brands' you can almost buy 3-4 of these.
^ Yep, I've been using these....and prefer 2 small to one big. If someone wants the goal zero panels cheap pm me

I've used an Anker 10,000 mAh for over a year now and have zero complaints. I get about 3 phone charges out of it.

WVTrooper

Lil-Rokslider
Really enjoyed the Poseidon, goes with me on all my work travel and outdoors. Been using it consistently for more than a year and it hasn't died on me yet. Alittle heavier and pricer than some of the equivalent Ankers.

I'm a also a fan of the Dark Energy

Btaylor

WKR
I received the 20100 yesterday. Going to run it the next few weeks before heading to the mountains and see how well it works.

Wacm

FNG
The 20100 from anker works great. Charges my iPhone almost 4 full charges.
I’m interested in the goal zero solar panels also I plan on charging the 20100 with the solar panel
While I’m out hunting and charge my phone every evening when I get back to camp. The goal zero panels are
On camo fire a lot for 30-50% off.

AKDoc

WKR
I've used a Goal Zero for several years with no problems. That said, our wx up here doesn't often lend itself to effectively using the solar charger, so I'm often bringing a back-up with me for the longer (three weeks) trips into the field. Kevin's got me looking at the Zendure A3 as an option.

I’ve got a pair of the Anker 20,100 mahs and a single 26,800 mah battery pack. All work great and haven’t had any issues in 3 seasons. Bought all 3 (67,000 mahs total) less than the price of a single Dark Energy (10,000 mah).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pandes

FNG
subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
o.png

mproberts

WKR
I must have got a defective Anker battery because my experience with their product was awful. I ran a cheap Panasonic battery for years until it finally died on me. I bought the Anker and it died in like 6 months after maybe 3-5 uses. I bought a goal zero after that and have been running it for a year now without issue. Honestly it just feels better built and I like that it has indicator lights on it that give you a rough idea about the battery percentage left.