Backcountry Power Source

Hello Everyone,
I am an Arizona boy that will be heading up to the NWT twice over the next 2 years and I am looking for some advice on backcountry power. I will be needing the power to charge my InReach Explorer+, Canon camera, Cell Phone, and possibly a Garmin watch. I have been looking into getting a GoalZero 75 power pack or 2. I currently have 2 of the Dark Energy Poseidon power packs and have unfortunately run out of power before on a 12 day hunt. That being said I will be in the NWT for 16 days both trips and I am thinking about the GoalZero 75 power pack and a solar panel to pair with it. I really appreciate any input anyone has to offer here. Thank you!

Kscrawfo

FNG
My experience is that goal zero stuff is under powered and over weight. I'd get a few big Anker power packs (I have a 20,000 and a 26,800 for when I need a lot of power). Cheaper and smaller/lighter than goal zero

Moserkr

WKR
Ill echo the overweight and underpowered goal zero statement above. Been a while since I needed a solar panel on a long trip, but a 12 day trip would call for it. From my previous research, you should be looking at 10-20k mAh x2, and roughly a 20w solar setup. Charge with one while the other recharges. Without knowing your exact mAh charging needs, thats just an estimate. But a 7w panel like the goal zero I bought is basically a paperweight. A 20w in full sun will actually recharge a battery pack. Hopefully some others will chime in with some brand recommendations.

Backyard

WKR
My experience is that goal zero stuff is under powered and over weight. I'd get a few big Anker power packs (I have a 20,000 and a 26,800 for when I need a lot of power). Cheaper and smaller/lighter than goal zero

Those two together weigh literally exactly twice as much as my Goal Zero. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntnful

WKR
100% agree. Stay away from the solar crap. These Anker power banks are legit.

Az wildcat

Lil-Rokslider
Aron Snyder just talked about his gear for his multiday hunts. Anker power banks and Anker solar panel.

Fan boying aside, Anker makes great stuff whereas every review on goal zero from someone who uses it seems to be "it's overpriced crap". Own Anker headphones, chargers, etc. Great warranty/service when I've had to use it as well.

huntnful

WKR
Some of the vehicle jump starter battery packs have a usb charging port in them.
They are heavy, but you could run a laptop off one for quite a while.
The one linked below has a $45 off coupon. There are smaller versions too.

Thanks for the link dude. Looks like a super handy unit for the long, remote of state trips. Just ordered one!

Kscrawfo

FNG
I haven't gotten into the solar stuff (the goal zero stuff was crap) - anyone found a decent Backcountry solar solution to accompany a power bank?

Titan_Bow

WKR
I had a goal zero Nomad panel and battery pack. Like others have said, it was pretty useless. I replaced it with an Anker that will charge my iPhone 11 about 5 or 6 times

For my long trips i love the Anker 20,000 Mah power packs. As everyone else has said the Goal Zero stuff is heavy and the solar is junk. I will be on a 14 day trip to Kodiak here in October and will be bringing 3 20,000 Mah Anker power banks or 2 and bring my 28W Big Blue Solar charger which i find to be the best charger for the weight and money. Only reason im thinking of bringing 3 power banks instead of the solar is because of limited daylight and kodiak is known to be weathered in alot, Which makes a solar just about useless. Im a guide in Alaska and I will say those Anker power packs are worth their weight in gold.

Backyard

WKR
Just finished up a week long elk hunt and my 5yr old, heavy (16oz), piece of crap, Goal Zero worked just as it should, charged my power bank to full charge every day while I was out hunting. Weird huh?

Vandy321

WKR
I have Anker banks...and a renogy solar panel. I wouldn't send my worst enemy out in the woods with a renogy panel as his only power source, it's junk.

Just picked up a 20MaH Anker… maybe overkill, but worth the weight. Thanks for the recommendations.

Aron Snyder just talked about his gear for his multiday hunts. Anker power banks and Anker solar panel.

Fan boying aside, Anker makes great stuff whereas every review on goal zero from someone who uses it seems to be "it's overpriced crap". Own Anker headphones, chargers, etc. Great warranty/service when I've had to use it as well.
With only enough to get the power bank or solar charger which Anker product would you choose? I will be doing a 5-6 black bear hunt in Idaho this summer.

Az wildcat

Lil-Rokslider
With only enough to get the power bank or solar charger which Anker product would you choose? I will be doing a 5-6 black bear hunt in Idaho this summer.
This is the one I have. Gave me 2-3 charges on my iPhone when it got around 20%. You may need a bigger one depending on how many charges you anticipate needing. I personally would get a bigger battery bank vs a solar panel and bank for 5-6 days.

Anker Portable Charger, PowerCore... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QXV6N1B?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I think that is the route I'm going to go. Are the Anker products pretty rugged? I don't want to have to purchase a new one every couple years. Thanks for all the information.

4ester

WKR
I think that is the route I'm going to go. Are the Anker products pretty rugged? I don't want to have to purchase a new one every couple years. Thanks for all the information.

I’ve been using my Anker 10k for 5 years now. They are pretty cheap (23.99 back then). Keep it dry and it will last.