Backcountry Rifle Scope

Doc Holliday

Well Known Rokslider
Classified Approved
Did Form run his test on the Credo ?

I have my eyeballs on one and would like to save some cash on it over the Tenmile.

SDHNTR

Well Known Rokslider

amassi

Well Known Rokslider
Did Form run his test on the Credo ?

I have my eyeballs on one and would like to save some cash on it over the Tenmile.
If you decide that's the scope for you I have an extra 2.5-15x42 credo hx in moa I'm about to list

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

amassi

Well Known Rokslider
I heard a rumor that NF is discontinuing the NXS 2.5-10x42. It still shows in their catalog online, however.

If this were true I’d be very disappointed, as I have put that scope on every backpack hunting rifle I own…
To be replaced with the 4-16x44 in ffp or sfp.

OP
Desert Hntr

Desert Hntr

Well Known Rokslider
I looked at the credo but would like to stick with a FFP. I’m pretty rough on my gear and want it to function when I bust my ass on the mountain which happens often. So I’m leaning more toward the NF NX8 now. Discounts aside I want to put my money where it counts. I wish I could justify a 10x scope but I just feel like it’s going to leave me wanting a little more.

pwrdbycotn

I looked at the credo but would like to stick with a FFP. I’m pretty rough on my gear and want it to function when I bust my ass on the mountain which happens often. So I’m leaning more toward the NF NX8 now. Discounts aside I want to put my money where it counts. I wish I could justify a 10x scope but I just feel like it’s going to leave me wanting a little more.
I felt the same way about wanting my scope to hold zero and track properly, even if it takes a hard fall, so I went Tangent Theta.

pwrdbycotn

so how did it do in your drop tests?
Bought three of them in the summer of 2021. Unfortunately my wife couldn’t deer hunt last fall due to a surgery, but I dropped like five doe and one buck whitetail and then in August (2022) my wife and I both dropped caribou on the north slope of the Brooks, my shot at 420 and hers at 664.
So yeah, drop tests went well 👍🏽

TK-421

Well Known Rokslider
Every Tangent Theta is drop tested (along with several other tests) at their facility in a controlled, standardized, and repeatable environment. It's not backyard bubba silliness.

Drop test (100 drops @ 1,000 G's)
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw-D6ykn9PV/?utm_medium=copy_link

Whip test

Click test

Immersion (pressure) Testing

Cold Room Testing
1665080401274.png

amassi

Well Known Rokslider
Every Tangent Theta is drop tested (along with several other tests) at their facility in a controlled, standardized, and repeatable environment. It's not backyard bubba silliness.

Drop test (100 drops @ 1,000 G's)
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw-D6ykn9PV/?utm_medium=copy_link

Whip test

Click test

Immersion (pressure) Testing

Cold Room Testing
View attachment 460478
Their drop tester looks more like a recoil tool made out of paint shaker, Unless they tipped that table over?
Leupold has the same tests, probably zeiss, swarovski and vortex as well but...

TK-421

Well Known Rokslider
Their drop tester looks more like a recoil tool made out of paint shaker, Unless they tipped that table over?
Leupold has the same tests, probably zeiss, swarovski and vortex as well but...

Can you post up links to the tests by leupold, zeiss, swarovski, and vortex?

ResearchinStuff

Well Known Rokslider
TT explicitly says the purpose of the equalizer is see if there is anything floating around in the tube. It's right in the post.

Debris in the tube is an optical performance issue, not a zero retention validation, unless the debris happens to be pieces of lens or tube. Is there additional information where they explain how the equalizer is used to verify zero retention?

amassi

Well Known Rokslider
Can you post up links to the tests by leupold, zeiss, swarovski, and vortex?
Did your Google break after you simped up the theta test?

nobody

Well Known Rokslider
I think the point is that Form's testing is real life. Cool, a company can perform a test in a controlled environment, but how does that shaking, rattling, and rolling relate to a fall or a dropped weapon? Call it "bubba" all you want, it's real life. Sheep hunts and backcountry mule deer hunts don't happen in a "facility in a controlled, standardized, and repeatable environment." They happen in the hills, at weird angles and in less than desirable conditions. I don't care what happens in a vacuum or in some company's factory, I care what happens when it's strapped atop my rifle and tips over or tumbles. That's what these optics companies aren't understanding, we don't care that their optics are "tested to 50,000 G's of force," that means nothing to your average mouth breather. What I wanna know is will the freakin' thing hold zero when it gets bumped or rides in a case across the country or slips from my hand on a stalk. Period. That's what matters. They're designing them to survive their specific tests, not actual use. I'll never own a 50 BMG, so I don't care if my scope won't survive the recoil from one. What I DO care about is that they hold zero under use and occasional accidental abuse.

What would be real interesting would be to take a Vortex optic and give it to Leupold to run through their testing protocol, and vice-versa. I bet both companies break their competitors' scopes. Why? Because Leupold build's them to meet Leupold's standards and "tests," and Vortex does the same with their own. You can replace Leupold and Vortex with any of the major optics manufacturers in the world, the outcome would probably be identical. The problem is there's no global standard, nobody is designing their scopes to survive anything but their own small subset of "tests," and those "tests" don't equate to anything in real life.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...

TK-421

Well Known Rokslider
Did your Google break after you simped up the theta test?

You made it sound like you knew how each scope was tested by those mfg's. Thanks for the one link that shows nothing though, LOL.

Leupold states that "each design" is tested - not each scope.

TK-421

Well Known Rokslider
I think the point is that Form's testing is real life. Cool, a company can perform a test in a controlled environment, but how does that shaking, rattling, and rolling relate to a fall or a dropped weapon? Call it "bubba" all you want, it's real life. Sheep hunts and backcountry mule deer hunts don't happen in a "facility in a controlled, standardized, and repeatable environment." They happen in the hills, at weird angles and in less than desirable conditions. I don't care what happens in a vacuum or in some company's factory, I care what happens when it's strapped atop my rifle and tips over or tumbles.
So, why do you care how a stranger drops his equipment if it's non standardized (different for each scope & different for each drop)? There's zero way to adequately compare. If you believe what you just wrote than you could drop your same model (or the exact same scope for that matter) at a slightly different angle and have a completely different result.

What I wanna know is will the freakin' thing hold zero when it gets bumped or rides in a case across the country or slips from my hand on a stock.
What's being done on here isn't telling you that either.