Backcountry Rifle Scope

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Let’s have @Ryan Avery set a range up. You show up with any rifle you want that’s 10’ish plus pounds, your current TT and two more, zero them yourself and drop it from any spot and height/angle you want 10x. Then I will buy 3x NF from the local store with you standing there, mount on a rifle, and do the exact same thing you do with the TT. If the TT’s holds zero for those impacts and the NF’s don’t, I’ll pay for your trip, and buy you a new TT. If the NF holds zero, then it’s on you and you come back and say so.

I’m in!

You guys don’t live very far apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

woods89

WKR
Interestingly enough, Mark from the Hunt Backcountry podcast recently was talking about his rifle he built a couple years ago. He went over the optics he's been around in the last few years. Mentioned were the Zeiss V4, the Leupold VX-5, and the Vortex Razor LHT. He then said he currently has a NF 2.5-10 NXS on it, because he's come to not trust those other 3 on remote hunts.

I can't imagine some manufacturers are very happy about that, as his podcast has considerable reach.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Here was my “backcountry” scope after a month of hard use. In the actual mountains of idaho and Wyoming. Six shots, that’s all the ammo I had. Trijicon Tenmile.

4adc5ce6d6ee8e64584de6af91cec81f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

texasbbq

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going with 3-9 Accupoints duplex dot with a Kenton Ind. custom turret. I'm copying StinkyCoyote from here on this but looks to be a solution.
I'll post results when it all gets done.

I'm going with 3-9 Accupoints duplex dot with a Kenton Ind. custom turret. I'm copying StinkyCoyote from here on this but looks to be a solution.
The Credo 3-9 appears to be very similar. That one has more eye relief and a little more field of view but has electronic illumination and a battery for a 4oz penalty.

atmat

WKR
Those 3-9 are very light at only 13.4 oz. I really wish the same model in 2.5-12x42 didn’t come with a half pound penalty.

I know very little about Trijicon. Are they considered as bombproof as NF?

Shraggs

WKR
Agree completely.

I’ve been on here long enough that I don’t think he’s random, but putting that aside, if there’s any reason I question my equipment and I move on, what’s the best way to choose something to trust?

Agree about reviews, but short of Consumer Reports doing a test, I’m not sure of the alternatives. And tests done by the manufacturer are no more dependable or trustworthy to me.
Just an fyi, when consumer reports does a sedan review they are only evaluating one of each finished sedans. It is not statistically significant in the view most here recognize. But, those are finished products that throughout the manufacturing and assembly process have numerous QC checks. Same with jd powers.

Those observations of flaws and performance are very indicative and predictive of the vehicle overall production quality and correlates with consumer acceptance.

As a SS I absolutely believe in what consumers reports, jd powers and forms methodology.

I could be wrong, but I’m unaware of any finished manufactured or assembled product getting fully tested or statically sampled. The closest I’ve seen was while at general dynamics f-16 division. Each was pretty thorough multi flight shake down. But even then, 9 g’s where never attempted and the chaffing harness was ultimately discovered in actual USE sadly.

Fwiw, not entering the ring - I’m ring side and genuinely learning.

orhunter1

FNG
For a backcountry scope, I would want durable and reliable, thus the recommendations for NF and Trijicon…discounts are great but don’t do much good in the field when you have a failure.

My scope after a 100 yd tumble/slide down a steep scree slope in MT mountains (with two kills afterwards):

View attachment 458426
I struggle with scopes that don't have good clarity. Swarovski is great but not rugged enough, How do you compare trijicon optical quality?

orhunter1

FNG
I just got the trijicon tenmile 3-18x50 from euro optic, it’s over a thousand dollars off the MSRP.

So far it’s a very impressive scope and it’s going to work really well for what I got it for. The illuminated reticle, capped windage, MIL adjustments and eye relief are all excellent. I doubt you could do much better when you take the sale price into account.
which reticle? and why are they offloading at that kinda discount?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
which reticle? and why are they offloading at that kinda discount?
It’s a MIL reticle, actually pretty nice. I have no idea why they are selling them so cheap but I’m still happy with mine. I figure trijicon will stand behind their product so there’s no risk to try it.

Get a trijicon from euro optic.
I agree. I went with a Credo HX from EuroOptic and no regrets. I have or have had all the scopes you mentioned. Currently have:

Schmidt and Bender T96 Polar in 3-12x54 illuminated dot
VX-5 in 3-15x44 illuminated dot
Zeiss V4 4-16x44 non-illuminated
Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-10x56 illuminated duplex

I feel like the Leupold lags behind the S&B but it is solid for sure, and costs less than half. I hunted the VX-5 for several years before getting that Schmidt and Bender this past year.

All that to say my Trijicon Credo is impressive compared to these scopes. Especially for the money.