Backcountry Rifle Scope

SDHNTR

WKR
No experience with the Leica, but the others you mentioned fail in the durability department.

There is a reason why Nightforce and Trijicon keep getting recommended.

Hey guys I have been researching some scopes and haven’t found a forum comparing some of the best lightweight rifle scopes for the backcountry. I am stuck in my decision between 4. Looking at the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44, Vortex Viper LHT 3-15x42, Swaro V5 3.5-18x44, Leica Amplus 6 3-18x44. They have their pros and cons as listed below but I am looking to get some experiences and opinions you guys and gals have. I do mostly bow hunting so I don’t have a lot of rifle hunting experience but plan to use for everything from antelope up to bear. So my thought process is to have possible wind ticks for hold over at distance (max 500yd hunting but like shooting long range) illumination for twilight times and black bear in timber etc, second focal plane for closer range hunting situations I.e. whitetail and minimize target shooting features like wind age knobs and huge dials.

Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44:

Pros:
Very good quality glass
Customer service
Good warranty
Nice locking turrets that track great and have good adjustment
Light

Cons:
Illuminated reticle in duplex only
No unconditional warranty

Vortex Viper LHT 3-15x42

Pros:
Great reticle choice
Illuminated
Locking turrets
Lightweight
Warranty

Cons:
Glass not as good

Swarovski V5 3.5-18x44

Pros:
Fantastic glass
Great reticle
Illuminated
Leightweight
Turret is adjustable for quick dial
Accurate turrets

Cons:
True 1/4”@100yd turret
Only one revolution on elevation turret
Have to buy $150 turret for MRAD ticks
No locking turrets

Leica Amplus 6 3-18x44

Pros:
Quality glass
Illuminated

Cons:
Eye relief
No locking turrets
Weight
Larger turrets

Interested to hear what y’all think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You forgot "not reliable" as cons on your choices there.

Do you want to save a few bucks or have 100% confidence in your setup? Euro Optic offers discounts to MIL/LEO. Check out ExpertVoice too.

I’d spend a few bucks more and get a Razor LHT. You can get the 3-15 for sub $900 brand new from some dealers if you shop around and I’ve seen them here new and like new as low as $750. I also bought a NIB 4.5-22 LHT for $900 shipped. Well worth the extra $$.

One more suggestion to check out Trijicon. I switched from the Vortex LHT 3-15, which wouldn't hold zero. And that one was a replacement for the previous LH model that the erector pooped the bed after about 5 rounds.

I put a Credo 2.5-15 on with a DNZ one piece mount with their specified high screw torque this season. After 6 days of rough backcountry hunting, attached to a heavy pack set down rolled over on, bushwacking, etc., I made my best longer range shots ever. Scraped the hell out of the matte finish. From 430 yards, the moose was headed down for good by the time I second round was chambered. I still sent the second and the two wounds were within several inches.

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I have been researching some scopes and haven’t found a forum comparing some of the best lightweight rifle scopes for the backcountry. I am stuck in my decision between 4. Looking at the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44, Vortex Viper LHT 3-15x42, Swaro V5 3.5-18x44, Leica Amplus 6 3-18x44. They have their pros and cons as listed below but I am looking to get some experiences and opinions you guys and gals have. I do mostly bow hunting so I don’t have a lot of rifle hunting experience but plan to use for everything from antelope up to bear. So my thought process is to have possible wind ticks for hold over at distance (max 500yd hunting but like shooting long range) illumination for twilight times and black bear in timber etc, second focal plane for closer range hunting situations I.e. whitetail and minimize target shooting features like wind age knobs and huge dials.

Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44:

Pros:
Very good quality glass
Customer service
Good warranty
Nice locking turrets that track great and have good adjustment
Light

Cons:
Illuminated reticle in duplex only
No unconditional warranty

Vortex Viper LHT 3-15x42

Pros:
Great reticle choice
Illuminated
Locking turrets
Lightweight
Warranty

Cons:
Glass not as good

Swarovski V5 3.5-18x44

Pros:
Fantastic glass
Great reticle
Illuminated
Leightweight
Turret is adjustable for quick dial
Accurate turrets

Cons:
True 1/4”@100yd turret
Only one revolution on elevation turret
Have to buy $150 turret for MRAD ticks
No locking turrets

Leica Amplus 6 3-18x44

Pros:
Quality glass
Illuminated

Cons:
Eye relief
No locking turrets
Weight
Larger turrets

Interested to hear what y’all think!

Go with this Swaro and don’t look back. Perfect combination of crystal clear glass, weight savings, illumination and keeps it simple with the ballistic turret.

Vx5 sucks. The eye box is one if the worst I've ever been behind. Very unforgiving.

Vortex lht is a nice scope, no issues with mine but vortex has had lots of issues with multiple model lines.

Get a nightforce

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Blackbird

FNG
If you are looking at MIL/Leo or firefighter discount and do not see something through any of the normal avenues contact the company directly. I have done this many times with a bunch of different companies and they will usually work with you and provide some sort of discount. This applies to more than optics companies as well.

SDHNTR

WKR
Another example of guys chasing specs and features on paper instead of what matters…

I used to be that guy. Then I bought Nightforce, cut weight elsewhere, and quit worrying about my scope. No I don’t like the weight tradeoff either and it sucks we have to compromise, but if you want a reliable scope you just have to accept it.

Nothing from Vortex, Leupold or Swarovski belongs in this conversation. Just go look at the tests done on these scopes on this very website. They aren’t reliable, none of them. You can keep looking and wracking your brain, or buy a Nightforce, Trijicon or SWFA and go hunting.

Last edited:
OP
Desert Hntr

Desert Hntr

Lil-Rokslider
Another example of guys chasing specs and features on paper instead of what matters…

I used to be that guy. Then I bought Nightforce, cut weight elsewhere, and quit worrying about my scope. No I don’t like the weight tradeoff either and it sucks we have to compromise, but if you want a reliable scope you just have to accept it.

Nothing from Vortex, Leupold or Swarovski belongs in this conversation. Just go look at the tests done on these scopes on this very website. They aren’t reliable, none of them. You can keep looking and wracking your brain, or buy a Nightforce, Trijicon or SWFA and go hunting.

This why I appreciate the opinions on this forum. Honest answers from folks who have been in my shoes and say it plain. My sleeping system went from ultralight to heavier and comfy and now I sleep like a baby. Thanks for waking me up. Think I’m going to put my money in the right place and just go with NF.

nobody

WKR
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/forums/rifle-scope-field-evaluations.133/

Go nuts reading, you'll eliminate most of the optics gun counter employees and internet celebrities will push you to use.

In short, for durability and reliability, you want Nightforce, Trijicon, or SWFA. Solid rings, proper mounting technique, and then strap it to your pack and go kill somethin'. Gold Rings (Leupolds) and Flying Birds (Swaro) are cool until they cost you an animal.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...

woods89

WKR
This why I appreciate the opinions on this forum. Honest answers from folks who have been in my shoes and say it plain. My sleeping system went from ultralight to heavier and comfy and now I sleep like a baby. Thanks for waking me up. Think I’m going to put my money in the right place and just go with NF.

I don't think you'll regret it.

Gone4Days

WKR

You won’t regret it.

KingGus

WKR
I just grabbed a trijicon tenmile hx 3-18x50 from Euro optic also. Absolute bargain and pretty light. Cheers for the heads up!
I just got the trijicon tenmile 3-18x50 from euro optic, it’s over a thousand dollars off the MSRP.

So far it’s a very impressive scope and it’s going to work really well for what I got it for. The illuminated reticle, capped windage, MIL adjustments and eye relief are all excellent. I doubt you could do much better when you take the sale price into account.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just grabbed a trijicon tenmile hx 3-18x50 from Euro optic also. Absolute bargain and pretty light. Cheers for the heads up!
If I had more free funds at the moment I’d buy another, I honestly can’t believe how good of a price those are and so far it seems like just an excellent scope…especially for the $$$.