Backcountry Saw

Benjblt

WKR
So I've had the Gerber backcountry saw from BiMart for years. Its the 3 piece saw that comes with 2 saw blades, one for bone and one for wood. Just wondering what you all are using. Especially for cutting wood in the backcountry for a stove. Ive got a SO SXL so I have to cut the wood down pretty short. It would be nice to have something that cuts through bone as well.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have a medium seek outside stove I use the silky pocketboy 130. Medium teeth are pretty aggressive for bone but glide through branches. They have many different sized saws with different teeth available. The fine teeth might be an okay compromise. I’d really only want a saw for the skull cap when breaking an animal down.

Brendan

WKR
I just used a Silky Big Boy with the XL teeth for a non-backcountry trip recently. I was impressed bucking and cutting up logs I wouldn't have touched with another saw. A little big for most trips, but I'm definitely looking at buying one or two of the Silky's for different uses.

I sure like my 12" Dandy saw. It's not that heavy and I have it in my daypack always. It cuts both bone and wood just fine. It's tough also and hard to beat it.

1593089353552.png

mcseal2

WKR
I did a review on saws a while back. For wood and bone the Bahco Laplander won. For wood only the Silky Big Boy 360 with medium teeth worked well.

I did not have all the ones mentioned to try, just tested what I had.

The Wyoming saws with different blades are great but heavier. The folding bow saws also work well. I have a Bob Dustrude that has flexed some with lots of use. It no longer holds a blade super tight. It works but not as well as it used to. I now have a Boreal 21 that is working well. It hasn’t seen the use the Bob saw has though.

My Seek stove does much better with wood that started small or that we processed down to not much over thumb size. Bigger rounds don’t do great. It seems like it wants a hot fire with small kindling and frequent re-filling. It doesn’t take much for tools to provide that.

PNWGATOR

WKR
15” Stanley hand saw is what we’ve used based on Bambistew’s recommendation. Works fantastic, is durable, light and relatively inexpensive.

Jimss

WKR
I know I'm going to get hammered on this post for saying this but I'm always looking for things to scratch off my list for hauling on a backpack hunt. A saw is one of them! I also never have fires. Don't really want to waste my valuable time and energy gathering wood when I could be hunting, recovering from a long day, or sleeping!

mcseal2

WKR
I’m with you. Almost the only time a saw goes in my pack is when I’m hunting a unit in AK where ribs have to come out on the bone.

A saw is always at the UTV or truck though. I always have a folding bow saw or large Wyoming saw there for clearing trails. In a beetle kill area I’ll take my small chainsaw. I’ve had trees fall in the Medicine Bow mountains I had to clear to get back to camp. We used the folding bow saw to cut a path to get horses through a burn to my elk on another trip.

I will never go on a hunting trip without a saw, but I will also almost never carry one on my back.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
For elk hunting I’ve packed a small Wyoming and this yr for trips not hunting for my stove grabbed this little silky works very well to cut small limbs and trees for the stove and very light unsure about cutting bone but may find out0521F9D0-686A-427C-BA88-7718251260CE.jpeg7B071459-C157-48DF-BA42-90C35BF4733B.png

mcseal2

WKR
The Silky I used with the medium teeth did not do well on bone. Even the medium teeth were to aggressive. Great for dry wood though.

eoperator

WKR
Just got an agawa canyon boreal 21, not the lightest but it is a solid saw that folds up nice with an extra bone blade.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like the wyoming saws, I have 4 of them kicking around. The bone saw works well and the wood saw makes quick work out of firewood and poles.

Spiegel

FNG
Been using a Silky Gomboy 240 for quite awhile now and it made me question my other tools lol.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I did a review on saws a while back. For wood and bone the Bahco Laplander won. For wood only the Silky Big Boy 360 with medium teeth worked well.

I did not have all the ones mentioned to try, just tested what I had.

The Wyoming saws with different blades are great but heavier. The folding bow saws also work well. I have a Bob Dustrude that has flexed some with lots of use. It no longer holds a blade super tight. It works but not as well as it used to. I now have a Boreal 21 that is working well. It hasn’t seen the use the Bob saw has though.

My Seek stove does much better with wood that started small or that we processed down to not much over thumb size. Bigger rounds don’t do great. It seems like it wants a hot fire with small kindling and frequent re-filling. It doesn’t take much for tools to provide that.
Do you think the Bahco Laplander is better then the Silky? What's the smallest Silky you would use for cutting wood for the Seek outside stoves?