Backcountry Saw

We like running bigger peices of wood in our SO SXL. We get a good hot fire with the smaller stuff and then stuff in about as big as the door will allow (maybe up to 5" diameter? ). Depends on the weather and whether or not we are cooking with it. Get much longer burns and less feeding and a little less clutter in the tipi. Have the Bob Dustade, the Bahco Laplander, and fixed blade silky. All are good products just depends on the where/when/what for/how long of the trip regarding which goes along.

mcseal2

WKR
Would you suggest a Medium tooth saw for dry pine and fir? I think I'm going to get an extra fine blade for bone but I don't know weather to go with a Large blade or a Medium blade for my stove. . .

Probably large.

prm

WKR
I use a Wyoming saw I. Works great, just heavy. I could probably remove a lot of metal from that thing and would still be very strong.

Last edited:

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I know I'm going to get hammered on this post for saying this but I'm always looking for things to scratch off my list for hauling on a backpack hunt. A saw is one of them! I also never have fires. Don't really want to waste my valuable time and energy gathering wood when I could be hunting, recovering from a long day, or sleeping!

A Silky saw weighs less than a skull, so carrying one can save weight if you aren’t doing a euro mount but want/need to keep horns/antlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Pretty sure I'm going to get the Silky Gomboy. . It's less then an ounce heavier then the pocket boy. So, last question, curved or straight? I know I'm thinking about this too much . . but these things are expensive. . anyon have any incite on which is better for what? According to Silky you can later order a straight blade and switch it out.

Voyageur

WKR
Pretty sure I'm going to get the Silky Gomboy. . It's less then an ounce heavier then the pocket boy. So, last question, curved or straight? I know I'm thinking about this too much . . but these things are expensive. . anyon have any incite on which is better for what? According to Silky you can later order a straight blade and switch it out.
I’ve only used the curved blade on my big boy the past five or six years and have zero complaints. No experience with the straight blade. Curious to see what others say. Matt

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Thanks for all the help guys! I ended up with going with the Gomboy 210, straight and Medium teeth. It was only about .8 oz heavier then the Pocketboy 170... just not as packable. I also just ordered the Bigboy, curved, with XL for my truck. . for a just in case.. I plan to get the fine teeth for the Gomboy for cutting bone.

Shraggs

WKR
Silky Pocketboy 180- large tooth blade for wood, fine for bone- the extra blade only weighs maybe an ounce

I've used a ton of small saws and nothing cuts like a Silky

was going to echo this, the smaller silky's you can get fine teeth and they do real well on bone.

in my experience, a silky can cut 80 percent of its blade length. so the smaller 5 or 6' saws can still handle backpacking wood chores

Shraggs

WKR
also if im taking a silky hunting or camping always the medium teeth for me - dead hard wood the large teeth are just too aggressive to start a cut. large teeth for green wood

I’m in the market for a saw too. I see a lot of folks mentioning Silky saws. Looking at Amazon reviews, I see some have issues with the blades breaking. I understand this is why you carry an extra blade but have you had issues with this?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I own three Silky saws, never an issue with a blade breaking. The saws being discussed for backpacking are on the smaller (and lighter) end of the scale, you can treat them like an anvil. The Silky also cuts on the backstroke, which means you simply guide it on the front stroke and pull more firmly on the way back, you'll eat lots of wood and have no risk of breaking a blade.

Voyageur

WKR
Never broke a blade on mine in at least five years of use. Keep thinking one of these years I will need to replace the blade due to dulling, but it hasn't happened yet. My guess (and it's only a guess) would be user error. @mtwarden gives good advice in the above post.

Never broke a blade on mine in at least five years of use. Keep thinking one of these years I will need to replace the blade due to dulling, but it hasn't happened yet. My guess (and it's only a guess) would be user error. @mtwarden gives good advice in the above post.

Well that’s good to know. Do you still pack an extra blade tho?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
guys that posted in this thread of carrying an extra blade, are carrying two different blades- a fine tooth for bone, a medium or large tooth for wood

if you’re only carrying it for wood (or bone) you only need to carry the blade that is on the saw, no need for a spare

Shraggs

WKR
looking at getting the second blade for boning, as the medium as mentioned is too course for bone.

interesting that...

the larger super accel model with the longer 8.3" blade and 200 grams in weight, the fine tooth is 12 tpi
and the medium is 6.5 tpi
the slightly shorter pocket boy 170 at 6.75" blade also 200 grams in weight, but the fine tooth is 17 tpi
and the medium is 8.5 tpi

for those of you that have caped a skull with a silky fine tooth, was it the 12 tpi or the 17 tpi, or what model saw, and how did that work?

i use the pocket boy 170 for most hunting in the pack work in the medium, near 7" is good for most wood and the medium blade makes sense for me since it will do soft, green and most hard woods. but not a skull. thinking going to pick up the super accel, but now I'm thinking the 17 tpi blade for my pocket boy may be a better option.